Taxi to shop and go to beach

Williemeg

In August, 6 of us are going to St. Martin and we were trying to get an excursion that would allow us to shop for awhile then go to Orient Beach. But we are not having any luck. We have been told the stores close about 6 pm (Our ship leaves at 9 pm). We don't pull in until Noon and the excursion is from 12:30 to 5:45. So we were thinking of doing it on our own. So does any one have any recommendations, ideas that would help us out?

In August, 6 of us are going to St. Martin and we were trying to get an excursion that would allow us to shop for awhile then go to Orient Beach. But we are not having any luck. We have been told the stores close about 6 pm (Our ship leaves at 9 pm). We don't pull in until Noon and the excursion is from 12:30 to 5:45. So we were thinking of doing it on our own. So does any one have any recommendations, ideas that would help us out?

I would suggest that you take the water taxi to Philipsburg, shop, take the water taxi back to the port, drop off your purchases and grab your beach wear and take a taxi from the port to Orient and spend as much time as you would like and take a taxi back to the ship. You could also do this same plan by just taking land taxi's which may turn out to be quicker but I like the views from the water taxi.

our ship is the other way around. We are on the oasis and it arrives at 7 in the morning and leaves at 5. Wondering if the stores open that early or should we go to orient beach first then shop.

I would suggest that you take the water taxi to Philipsburg, shop, take the water taxi back to the port, drop off your purchases and grab your beach wear and take a taxi from the port to Orient and spend as much time as you would like and take a taxi back to the ship. You could also do this same plan by just taking land taxi's which may turn out to be quicker but I like the views from the water taxi.

Where do you get on the water taxi? Is there a schedule or does it run continously? Thanks

Some of the stores at the pier stay open past 6 PM when a ship is in. The downtown Front Street stores are closed by 6 PM.

Stores at the pier included Boolchands, Little Switzerland and DI, nowhere as extensive as Havensight at St. Thomas.

Note to the OP -

We did the Explorer with a noon arrival in May 2007. Unlike a 7 or 8 AM arrival where people straggle off the ship based on their own personal body clock schedule, with a noon arrival everybody is up on deck watching as the captain uses his video game joystick to carefully nudge the ship into position. Then thousands are waiting for the ship to be cleared after which everybody tries to get off ASAP, so you have a mob scene at the pier.

Where do you get on the water taxi? Is there a schedule or does it run continously? Thanks

The water taxi starts from the cruise pier and you would want to get off at the drop off at the Great Bay beach dock in Phillipsburg. You will be able to see the shopping area of Front St. from there. I have never waited more than 5 minutes for a water taxi but that may have just been my good fortune. Someone else maybe able to give you a more definitive answer regarding the schedule of the water taxi.

The water taxi ferry fleet runs a continuous loop all day, from the Wathey cruise ship pier to the downtown pier to Bobby's Marina and then back to Wathey. I haven't seen a schedule so just go and wait. The entrance is well marked.

The fare is still $4 for one trip or $6 unlimited usage all day, as of 6/17/10.

our ship is the other way around. We are on the oasis and it arrives at 7 in the morning and leaves at 5. Wondering if the stores open that early or should we go to orient beach first then shop.

Front Street shops won't be opening before 9 or 10.

By then you could be set up on Orient Beach. Spend as much time there as you like and then head back to Philipsburg for your shopping. You'll be just minutes from the ship, so no concerns about being late back on board.

Besides, you really DON'T want to take your shopping purchases to the beach with you.

gary

Archived