Packing List

Throw what you THINK you'll need on the bed... Then put HALF of that in a suitcase. (I'm a chronic over-packer)

Here's what I took on my last cruise that I actually used (and was glad I had):

"Soft" over-the-door shoe holder (pockets) Great for toothbrushes, hairbrushes, sunglasses, etc. Even with ample counterspace, it was nice to have them somewhere easy to get to.

Aside from that, I took necessary cords/cables/accessories for cameras, iPods, etc. I used my cell for alarm clock, etc. (but shut off the roaming to keep charges in check!)

First aid kit type items (bandaids, antibiotic ointment, ginger pills, excedrine, antacid - basically stuff for minor emergencies and daily needs)

Find a creative way to recycle your outfits throughout your cruise to cut down on "stuff" (I took 7 dresses for 7 days PLUS at least 7 daytime outfits - but mostly lived in my swim suit - WAY MORE than I ever used)

Comfortable shoes! (if you or your wife wear open toed shoes most of the time, make sure you take one pair of closed toed shoes - depending on your excursions, they might be good to have) I'm not a shoe-horse so I just take a good pair of walking sandals, tennis shoes and a dressier sandal for dinner

Ziplock baggies (at least quart or gallon sized) I didn't take those on our last cruise and wished I had some - Good for taking room service food into ports (can't bring it back on tho), keeping wet stuff from wetting other stuff and keeping dry stuff dry.

I can't think of much else right now, but I hope this gives you a jumping off point!

DD made a packing list for her for our cruise. She had a format and bulleted list. Here's an example of her list.

Clothes

1. shorts- 5-6 pairs (she went on to list what type of shorts they are but that can get complicated.)

2. shirts- 9-10 (same as what is in above parenthesis)

3. shoes- 3 pairs

and etc. going all the way down listing how many of each and like i said what type but that IMO is complicated.

Toiletries

1. Shampoo

2. etc.

Extras

1. Ipod

2. etc.

This is how DD packs. I've never seen it done this way before, but it works for her. :)

The wife asked me to do a packing list. (she's crazy) :) I'm clueless, so now I am on the boards and I cant find one anywhere. Can someone help me please? Thanks in advance.

Just the thought of leaving the packing up to my DH is very scary:eek:

My #1 rule about packing: You are packing for vacation not the apocalypse.

I am a light packer and I don't "what if" pack. I'm not going to use it need it or wear it, I don't bring it.

Different strokes for different folks

Alrana

sewing kit ... nightlight... power stirp (I also found near the power strips short extension cords they are like 6" great for when batterie packs take up more space on the power strip )to use at the vanity table that way curlers or irons can be heating while drying hair or batteries charging ... they have shampoo and body wash in the showers so if your not picky about those just bring conditioner ... purex 3 & 1 laundry sheets... I usually only take about 3 pairs of shorts and do one load of casual laundry while on board shorts , bathing suites ect bring your cell phone charger for the last night unless you have a car charger for the ride home although your phone may be turned off some lose battery power after a few days .... I pack travel size when ever I can tooth paste shave cream ect....if you have 2 suitcases empty 1 and stand it up and unzip the top you can tuck it away and use it for a lundry hamper rest can go under the bed or in the closet .... I have made a small med bag tums, gas-x, anti diarrhea, pepto bismol tablets, something for headachs and ibuprofen for aches and pains ... clippers, tweezers, nail file and super glue acrilic nails or quick shoe repair list seems big but everything fits in nicely I have learned a lot about packing over the past 4 years LOL 2007 took WAY to much by 2009 had things down pat this year easy smesy

I have a pretty comprehensive packing list that I created for myself years ago and have updated. But, it's not on-line (maybe I should change that) so here's a link to a printable packing list on Travel Smith. You can also download a PDF.

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1393&itemType=CATEGORY&path=1,3,141,402,1393

Okay, if this worked, you can access and download my personal travel document at the link below. It is a word document - needs to be personalized because it includes space for prescription meds, etc. May be more detailed than most of you need.

http://cid-2b7a1da43993a495.office.live.com/view.aspx/Documents%20to%20share%20online/Diana^4s%20travel%20check%20list.doc

Great stuff everyone!! Don't forget the travel size lysol or clorox wipes to clean those things that don't get cleaned (remote controls) or to go over areas (bathroom) just to make sure!

I will totally back-up what everyone else is saying----don't overpack!!:D

You will never wear half the clothes you take anyway....:o

I totally agree with everyone about not overpacking....I cruised with my sister and the woman brought all these clothes "just in case" and said she never knows what she may feel like wearing at any certain time...geez...she spent more time in the cabin trying to decide what to wear to look "perfect", that even her husband was annoyed with her..he told her that she wasted so much time trying to decide what to wear, she really missed out on a lot of activities and relaxationand the next time he won't waste all that money and time but instead they can stay home and stay in their bedroom doing that crap...heeheehee :D....

ya know it is your vacation and really no one else cares or even notices what YOU are wearing, so I say pack what you need only and not what you think you might need, cause you will never wear or use it....:D

Several cruises ago, I downloaded packing lists from some site or other. I have since modified them to reflect our practices. Each cruise, they get tweaked to reflect our experience. I use mine, but DW does not even look at hers. I do not forget stuff, DW does. :rolleyes:

Doc

Adult packing list for a cruise:

1. All toiletries you will need. Pack travel sized containers to save space and weight in your suitcase. Cruiseline shampoos are awful.

2. One curling iron. Do not take the hot rollers. Pick your curling iron or your flat iron.

3. Excedrin, immodium, benadryl, cold medicine, neosporin, cortisone cream, Bonine and bandaids. Plus whatever daily meds you take. (Always keep your daily meds in your carry-on just in case)

4. Sunscreen of your choice

5. Whatever chargers you must have.

6. Handsanitizer or wipes.

7. Plastic cups. (I hate using their cups! Plus if we want to take a soda up on deck it works out great!)

8. 12 pack of diet coke.

9. Travel alarm clock that lights up!

Clothes:

Bottoms that you would wear on excursions- 3 pairs. (shorts, pants, capris or whatever makes you happy)

Bottoms for dinner: 2 pairs of dress pants or capris

Tops-7 shirts for everyday wear. Some can be worn to dinner w/ appropriate bottoms.

3 cute tops for dinner.

2 dresses. One for formal nights and one for the fun of it!!

Swimsuits- 2

cover ups- 2 (I'm known to wear a swimsuit w/ cute maxi dress cover-up on beach related excursions.)

4 pairs of shoes- Dress shoes for dinner, sandals, beach flip flops and a pair of tennis shoes

2 purses (one for everyday and one for formal night)

Things not to take-

Just deal with their hair dryer. You will survive.

You do not need your lap top. It's vacation and the wi-fi prices will shock you!

My #1 rule about packing: You are packing for vacation not the apocalypse.

Alrana

LOL! Love your #1 rule ... will remember that when I'm packing this time around. I'm really trying to curb the overpacking and pack for 7 days in a 22-inch suitcase plus tote (a far cry from the enormous bag I've usually used!).

Your rule ... very true ... will help keep me grounded!:)

Hi Gerry,

Just remember Blue, Black, and Khaki. Those colors go with everything, so you don't wind up having a shirt to match each set of pants. I pack for both of us and DH carries, Blue, black, khaki shorts and Blue, Black, Khaki pants.

Another helpful tip I picked up. If you are going to buy Tshirts from the various ports, don't pack them. Wear what you buy.

I also number my suitcases (I know it sounds anal) and carry a tryped packing list of what is in each suitcase. Just in case your luggage gets lost, you will know what you "lost" to file the claim with the airline. Another benefit, and I hadn't thought of this until I was talking to another passenger on the Westerdam a few years ago. DH told her about my list and she said it would have been helpful that afternoon because she was looking for her suntan lotion and had to unpack all three suitcases to find it. If she had my list and numbered bags then she could have just looked in that one bag.

Another tip: Cross pack with your wife. Some of your clothes and some of her clothes go in each suitcase. Again, if one of the suitcases gets "lost" by the airline, you both will still have clothes to wear.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived