Going back to Progreso for the third time and this time excursions, need help...

Other 2 times we went to the market and straight to the beach. Last year, dh and I did walk down in to the town, since it was just he and I on this cruise. This coming March, 13 yr old son is going and I want to go see more of the area for a little bit. Here are the excursions I am thinking of, any thoughts on these or something else I should think about doing instead. These are the ideas I got from Carnival's site:

Historic Merida High Lights and Mayan Rum Tour

Mayan Ruins & Beach Break Combo

Merida City Overview & Shopping

Discover the Yucatan & the Mayan World

I agree that exploring Mérida on one's own is a good excursion that is also easy on the wallet ($22 M.N.). The bus terminal in Progreso is just a few steps away from where one alights from the pier shuttle, and the bus terminal in Mérida is likewise a few steps from the zócalo. While in Mérida you might want to take the double deck bus tour operated by Turibus. It is only $100 M.N. ($10 U.S.) per person for a nice overview of the city.

Archived