Is the Summit really as worn out as some say it is?

marcaroh

I have decided against sailing on the Summit.. My wife and I really wanted to sail out of San Juan but it seems only older ships sail out of that port. I am assuming the reason for Summits cheaper fares are her condition. We have only sailed once on a new Royal Caribbean ship. I do not want the neg. reviews and an older ship turn me off on Celebrity.

I think we are going to sail on Equinox in winter or early spring. Broken chairs, mildew, and old school tvs just wont cut it for me after having to fly to San Juan.. I like new-- but I live in Orlando where the tourist dollars keep everything new.. lol..

Cheers,

Steve

I have decided against sailing on the Summit.. My wife and I really wanted to sail out of San Juan but it seems only older ships sail out of that port. I am assuming the reason for Summits cheaper fares are her condition. We have only sailed once on a new Royal Caribbean ship. I do not want the neg. reviews and an older ship turn me off on Celebrity.

I think we are going to sail on Equinox in winter or early spring. Broken chairs, mildew, and old school tvs just wont cut it for me after having to fly to San Juan.. I like new-- but I live in Orlando where the tourist dollars keep everything new.. lol..

Cheers,

Steve

I can see your point Steve. You have so many more options available being within driving distance to several ports. Coming from Chicago, however, it's expensive to fly either way. That's why we are trying Summit even though I'm with you in preferring new ships (loved Equinox). However, I am looking forward to seeing San Juan plus 5 ports in 7 days. We hope the sky suite (which cost less than AQ on Solstice) will be less worn out and dated. I don't expect the ship to be the same as an S Class but the itinerary, cost and the chance to try an M Class ship for the first time was a good option for us.

That's a matter of opinion. We don't find the differences that great.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Of course, you are the same poster who told someone on a different thread that was upset due to a policy change that would disallow the receipt of obc in lieu of a price reduction to get over it because he already agreed to pay the price, in so many words. For many readers, that will make your opinions worthless. I, personally, find there to be a noticeable difference between the lines; not the kind of difference you would find between Carnival and Cunard, but noticeable, just the same, and in favor of Celebrity. Since eandj stated that most people feel that way, I guess that just makes me one of the many.

That's a matter of opinion. We don't find the differences that great.

I agree, as someone who just sailed on the Summit. While I don't agree with the people who consider the ship to be run down ( I found her to be just fine in that area), I did not find a big difference in the quality of service & food on Celebrity ( with the exception of the butler in our sky suite).

Celebrity Summit - "Slummit" or Sanctuary?

Would this finicky, picky Virgo sail Summit again?

Many a harsh statement has been bandied online about the Celebrity Summit.

The Internet can be both glorious and dangerous when it comes to individual opinions expressed for mass consumption. Glorious for the sharing of information. Dangerous that some of that information is flippantly created anonymously by persons with keyboard courage. Giving discordant voice masked behind a surreptitious screen name.

Wanting to surprise my partner with a birthday gift I booked our first ever cruise; leaping blindly off a virtual cliff in less than five minutes of finding a great online bargain for the Summit. In my excitement at snatching the sale I foolishly did not do any research on Celebrity or the Summit. If I had done so; and followed the advice of those who with keyboard courage and pampered predilections voicing to avoid the “aging rust encrusted Slummit” I and my partner would have missed out on our best vacation experience to date.

First and foremost to those worried that they will be boarding a ship that should be sent to a sea bed sanitarium; you’d be foolish to believe that misguided advisory. Being a neat-freak Virgo (those reading this also under the sign know how much we desire perfection and how others despise us for our elusive pursuit of such) I found the Summit meticulously clean. Are there minute imperfections? Yes. But one really must go out of their way to find such and to those who do I ask; “Why waste your pleasure in seeking displeasure?” I can only think that these personalities are like the livid, whining woman I saw on the final morning in the buffet who berated a waiter demanding, “Where’s the brown sugar! This is unacceptable!” (Oh horror. Catastrophe appalling.)

-- The MDR Food: Wonderful. I and my partner enjoyed every dish except the lobster on the final evening. But you try cooking and serving lobster for nearly 1,500 guests within several hours and tell me how you can guarantee perfection for every serving.

-- Memorable Dishes: The escargot (a first for me); a delightful surprise (and dang tasty). The crème brulee? Great.

-- The MDR Service: Not until I and my partner were granted a private, full galley tour (including both the Normandie and the MDR) did I full appreciate the Herculean task of the staff in servicing 2,000 patrons each day with, as reported by the Executive Chef, 10,000 – 11,000 meals per day. Try that with your Hotpoint and KitchenAid Cookware and see how you fare.

The first night there seemed to be some disorganization among the wait staff in our section. But I believe that this was because the staff for that evening were temporary replacements for our regular staff which came on duty the second night and thereon. Our regular servers were superb.

-- Back of House info learned on the Private Galley Tour:

There are 110 chefs and food preparers in the galley.

All ice cream (except sugar-free products) is made daily on-board.

All bread is made fresh in the bakery 24/7 without stop.

Each dish is inspected for temperature and visual presentation before being allowed to leave the kitchen.

And if you’re wondering where the galley is; it’s on deck three behind the Normandie. Servers ride escalators, delivering meals, to the fourth and fifth decks.

The staff – who derive from 35 countries – are served foods to match the tastes of their homeland. These are served in a private cafeteria. The staff also has their own bar. (After all the toil they turn for us tourists; they rightly deserve that perk.)

-- The Normandie: Wonderful. I had the filet mignon. I can’t recall what the partner had. I was too engrossed in the deliciousness that was my dish. Treat yourself to at least one evening at the Normandie. You’ll be ever the happier overall that you took upon this singular sensational experience.

-- Accommodations: We had a deluxe balcony stateroom (7168). Yes, the furnishings for some visitors may seem a tad dated; but aren’t we all? The room was comfortable. The head (bathroom) fine. And the balcony rust… oh please… who doesn’t have a bit of rust somewhere in their bones or basement? The spattered specks upon the steel plating were no more discouraging than a day-old doughnut.

-- Room Steward: We’re very independent and enjoy our anonymity. On a Celebrity Cruise – with every staff member wishing you a “Good”-something, being ignored is difficult. I was prepared for the attention. My partner (being this was a surprise up until he saw the Summit on sail-day) was not ready nor comfortable with the constant attention. Especially on the early morning when he opened our cabin door and standing there were four crew members who greeted him in unison, “Good Morning”. (I laughed at the absurdity and ‘assault’.) My partner eventually got used to being acknowledged.

Needs were met without our asking. So much so that we jokingly pondered if our steward had had a hidden camera in the room. Only once was there a minor service misstep; a delay in having all aspects of a previously ordered celebratory gift delivered simultaneously. But the slight faux pas did not anger nor disappoint. Mistakes happen.

-- Fitness Area / Gym / Sauna: My partner who can't live without a gym was addicted to the facilities on board the Summit. In my desire to get away from any kind of exertion during the excursion I was addicted to the spa pool and tubs. Mea culpa.

-- Aqua Spa Cafe: A great healthy, eating option that my partner could not be pulled away from.

-- Public Areas: Wonderful.

Stage Shows: Not so wonderful.

Full disclosure here first. I’m a casting director for film, television and theater (B’way and regional). I’m also a director for theater and an author of a Random House book on acting. So you may think my view a bit harsh and biased.

The stage shows with the Summit cast were embarrassing to the Celebrity brand. I blame the producer who cobbled together the poorly executed and inappropriate reviews; not the performers.

Of the three shows I and my partner (a talent agency owner) attended there were many an inappropriate, jaw dropping, “I can’t believe they just did that” moment. Including the tribute to the movie TITANIC.

A pas de deux is performed as a singer, standing at a ship’s bow, belts Celine Dion’s “My Heart Will Go On”. At the end of the song all the performers, on stage elevators, sink into the stage and off to oblivion. Obviously someone on the creative team was having creative amnesia and forgot that the audience watching this musical tribute to a nautical disaster was viewing the choreographed catastrophe while at sea.

Poorly produced summer stock is the best that I can with all candor credit Celebrity Summit’s stage shows. Including the “magician” who doesn’t perform illusions but has fits of video self-indulgence. Spoiler alert: The ‘live’ card trick is nothing more than a pre-taped deception.

The performers – in costuming not much better than community theater stitchings – do their best with the given musical material. They are not to blame for what is being presented. The producer does them a great disservice with this debacle.

By coincidence, there was also a casting director for a major soap-opera on board as well as a former casting exec for CBS. Their views on the production standards and packaging were equally, if not more so, candid.

-- Embarkation / Disembarkation: we were not Concierge Class nor had any special privileges. Just average trudging tourists. Getting on and off the ship was easy, fast and painless.

-- Overall:

Go on Summit without expectations. Enjoy the reason that you’re there; to relax. If you’re like the woman who complained on the final morning about her inaccessibility to brown sugar (which was quickly handed to her) you’ve got your priorities misplaced. The Summit staff and crew are diligent in their efforts. I saw many working 12-hour shifts daily. While on a private bridge tour with the captain I discovered how dedicated all who work on-board are to making each passenger’s sailing safe and satisfying.

Would this finicky, picky Virgo sail Summit again? When’s the next departure?

- Paul Russell

Celebrity Summit

May 30 – June 6 2010

Cape Liberty – Bermuda

We are also considering Summit the week of Dec 12th. We are avid Carnival cruisers and have been on many. We are looking to experience some other lines and the kids want to do Southern Carib. I to got a bit nervous but it sounds as if the ship is a least average+.

We have done small and big ships, we have done new ships and some that were just average so I think our expectations are reasonable.

We were just on Carnivals Glory last summer and I was surprised that the mosaic tiles in the pool were falling out as its not that old but I certainly wouldnt say its old and in bad repair.

Most ship unless pretty new start to get wear and stains in the hallways but overall I dont think Ive ever been on a ship in bad repair.

Alot of what has been mentioned is service issues or daily cleaning by the staff and not so much the overall ship condition. I think you always run the risk of sticky floors, trash, clutter etc on any ship as that is level of service and that changes all the time on ships.

I certainly feel much better after reading the posts about booking this cruise

Thanks!

Paul

This is a beautiful detailing of your trip...Thanks!

I must agree with you in that many get caught up in little trivial issues and miss the big picture. There are goods and bads to every cruise (vacation) but overall I have never had a bad time, I just really focus on my enjoyment of the trip, afterall we should be so lucky to have this opportunity.Thanks for helping me put Summit back at the top of my list

Celebrity Summit - "Slummit" or Sanctuary?

Would this finicky, picky Virgo sail Summit again?

Many a harsh statement has been bandied online about the Celebrity Summit.

The Internet can be both glorious and dangerous when it comes to individual opinions expressed for mass consumption. Glorious for the sharing of information. Dangerous that some of that information is flippantly created anonymously by persons with keyboard courage. Giving discordant voice masked behind a surreptitious screen name.

Wanting to surprise my partner with a birthday gift I booked our first ever cruise; leaping blindly off a virtual cliff in less than five minutes of finding a great online bargain for the Summit. In my excitement at snatching the sale I foolishly did not do any research on Celebrity or the Summit. If I had done so; and followed the advice of those who with keyboard courage and pampered predilections voicing to avoid the “aging rust encrusted Slummit” I and my partner would have missed out on our best vacation experience to date.

First and foremost to those worried that they will be boarding a ship that should be sent to a sea bed sanitarium; you’d be foolish to believe that misguided advisory. Being a neat-freak Virgo (those reading this also under the sign know how much we desire perfection and how others despise us for our elusive pursuit of such) I found the Summit meticulously clean. Are there minute imperfections? Yes. But one really must go out of their way to find such and to those who do I ask; “Why waste your pleasure in seeking displeasure?” I can only think that these personalities are like the livid, whining woman I saw on the final morning in the buffet who berated a waiter demanding, “Where’s the brown sugar! This is unacceptable!” (Oh horror. Catastrophe appalling.)

-- The MDR Food: Wonderful. I and my partner enjoyed every dish except the lobster on the final evening. But you try cooking and serving lobster for nearly 1,500 guests within several hours and tell me how you can guarantee perfection for every serving.

-- Memorable Dishes: The escargot (a first for me); a delightful surprise (and dang tasty). The crème brulee? Great.

-- The MDR Service: Not until I and my partner were granted a private, full galley tour (including both the Normandie and the MDR) did I full appreciate the Herculean task of the staff in servicing 2,000 patrons each day with, as reported by the Executive Chef, 10,000 – 11,000 meals per day. Try that with your Hotpoint and KitchenAid Cookware and see how you fare.

The first night there seemed to be some disorganization among the wait staff in our section. But I believe that this was because the staff for that evening were temporary replacements for our regular staff which came on duty the second night and thereon. Our regular servers were superb.

-- Back of House info learned on the Private Galley Tour:

There are 110 chefs and food preparers in the galley.

All ice cream (except sugar-free products) is made daily on-board.

All bread is made fresh in the bakery 24/7 without stop.

Each dish is inspected for temperature and visual presentation before being allowed to leave the kitchen.

And if you’re wondering where the galley is; it’s on deck three behind the Normandie. Servers ride escalators, delivering meals, to the fourth and fifth decks.

The staff – who derive from 35 countries – are served foods to match the tastes of their homeland. These are served in a private cafeteria. The staff also has their own bar. (After all the toil they turn for us tourists; they rightly deserve that perk.)

-- The Normandie: Wonderful. I had the filet mignon. I can’t recall what the partner had. I was too engrossed in the deliciousness that was my dish. Treat yourself to at least one evening at the Normandie. You’ll be ever the happier overall that you took upon this singular sensational experience.

-- Accommodations: We had a deluxe balcony stateroom (7168). Yes, the furnishings for some visitors may seem a tad dated; but aren’t we all? The room was comfortable. The head (bathroom) fine. And the balcony rust… oh please… who doesn’t have a bit of rust somewhere in their bones or basement? The spattered specks upon the steel plating were no more discouraging than a day-old doughnut.

-- Room Steward: We’re very independent and enjoy our anonymity. On a Celebrity Cruise – with every staff member wishing you a “Good”-something, being ignored is difficult. I was prepared for the attention. My partner (being this was a surprise up until he saw the Summit on sail-day) was not ready nor comfortable with the constant attention. Especially on the early morning when he opened our cabin door and standing there were four crew members who greeted him in unison, “Good Morning”. (I laughed at the absurdity and ‘assault’.) My partner eventually got used to being acknowledged.

Needs were met without our asking. So much so that we jokingly pondered if our steward had had a hidden camera in the room. Only once was there a minor service misstep; a delay in having all aspects of a previously ordered celebratory gift delivered simultaneously. But the slight faux pas did not anger nor disappoint. Mistakes happen.

-- Fitness Area / Gym / Sauna: My partner who can't live without a gym was addicted to the facilities on board the Summit. In my desire to get away from any kind of exertion during the excursion I was addicted to the spa pool and tubs. Mea culpa.

-- Aqua Spa Cafe: A great healthy, eating option that my partner could not be pulled away from.

-- Public Areas: Wonderful.

Stage Shows: Not so wonderful.

Full disclosure here first. I’m a casting director for film, television and theater (B’way and regional). I’m also a director for theater and an author of a Random House book on acting. So you may think my view a bit harsh and biased.

The stage shows with the Summit cast were embarrassing to the Celebrity brand. I blame the producer who cobbled together the poorly executed and inappropriate reviews; not the performers.

Of the three shows I and my partner (a talent agency owner) attended there were many an inappropriate, jaw dropping, “I can’t believe they just did that” moment. Including the tribute to the movie TITANIC.

A pas de deux is performed as a singer, standing at a ship’s bow, belts Celine Dion’s “My Heart Will Go On”. At the end of the song all the performers, on stage elevators, sink into the stage and off to oblivion. Obviously someone on the creative team was having creative amnesia and forgot that the audience watching this musical tribute to a nautical disaster was viewing the choreographed catastrophe while at sea.

Poorly produced summer stock is the best that I can with all candor credit Celebrity Summit’s stage shows. Including the “magician” who doesn’t perform illusions but has fits of video self-indulgence. Spoiler alert: The ‘live’ card trick is nothing more than a pre-taped deception.

The performers – in costuming not much better than community theater stitchings – do their best with the given musical material. They are not to blame for what is being presented. The producer does them a great disservice with this debacle.

By coincidence, there was also a casting director for a major soap-opera on board as well as a former casting exec for CBS. Their views on the production standards and packaging were equally, if not more so, candid.

-- Embarkation / Disembarkation: we were not Concierge Class nor had any special privileges. Just average trudging tourists. Getting on and off the ship was easy, fast and painless.

-- Overall:

Go on Summit without expectations. Enjoy the reason that you’re there; to relax. If you’re like the woman who complained on the final morning about her inaccessibility to brown sugar (which was quickly handed to her) you’ve got your priorities misplaced. The Summit staff and crew are diligent in their efforts. I saw many working 12-hour shifts daily. While on a private bridge tour with the captain I discovered how dedicated all who work on-board are to making each passenger’s sailing safe and satisfying.

Would this finicky, picky Virgo sail Summit again? When’s the next departure?

- Paul Russell

Celebrity Summit

May 30 – June 6 2010

Cape Liberty – Bermuda

Steve,

That is what is so great about cruising as there is something for everyone. Maybe get another cruise or two under your belt then take the leap. Ive done Southern and Im planning again for this Dec. It truely is a vevry different cruise all around, one thing I keep in mind as I Know Im not sailing on a newer ship is that the ports of call are some of the best. Its worth it to me to be on a bit older boat with a port intence itenerary for the overall pleasure of the ports of call. Def put it on your list for the future.quote=sco0437;25094713]I have decided against sailing on the Summit.. My wife and I really wanted to sail out of San Juan but it seems only older ships sail out of that port. I am assuming the reason for Summits cheaper fares are her condition. We have only sailed once on a new Royal Caribbean ship. I do not want the neg. reviews and an older ship turn me off on Celebrity.

Cheers,

Steve

We are also considering Summit the week of Dec 12th. We are avid Carnival cruisers and have been on many. We are looking to experience some other lines and the kids want to do Southern Carib. I to got a bit nervous but it sounds as if the ship is a least average+.

We have done small and big ships, we have done new ships and some that were just average so I think our expectations are reasonable.

We were just on Carnivals Glory last summer and I was surprised that the mosaic tiles in the pool were falling out as its not that old but I certainly wouldnt say its old and in bad repair.

Most ship unless pretty new start to get wear and stains in the hallways but overall I dont think Ive ever been on a ship in bad repair.

Alot of what has been mentioned is service issues or daily cleaning by the staff and not so much the overall ship condition. I think you always run the risk of sticky floors, trash, clutter etc on any ship as that is level of service and that changes all the time on ships.

I certainly feel much better after reading the posts about booking this cruise

Thanks!

Hope you'll join us on 12/11 Summit sailing; there is a small but growing roll call started. I am looking forward to visiting the S. Carib. ports and escaping Chicago's December weather for a while!

Hi ,we took a 15 day med, cruise in oct. on the Summit, We have sailed celebrity many times and this was the !st on Summit.The food was delicious , the crew wonderful and caring . We were in concerige class,room was fine , there was a little rust on the balcony and the tiles in the shower were obviously regrouted but that didnt take away from the enjoyment,Celebrity excells ,the waiters , the crew, the food these are the things that make a ship enjoyable, a little rust doesnt. Have a good trip, claire

Sailing on the Summit out of San Juan Dec 11 - 18, 2010. My wife and I have been on Royal Caribbean before, but not Celebrity so we thought we'd give them a try. But I've been reading reviews about the Summit and many refer to the the ship being rather worn (stains on the furniture, sticky chairs in the buffet, areas in need of paints, broken deck chairs, etc...). Can anyone tell me if this is true and to what extent? The RCI ships we have been on (Radiance and Enchantment) were beautiful, very clean and in great shape. Are we going to be disappointed with the Summit?

Also any advice in terms of Royal Caribbean vs. Celebrity would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Bassman

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Of course, you are the same poster who told someone on a different thread that was upset due to a policy change that would disallow the receipt of obc in lieu of a price reduction to get over it because he already agreed to pay the price, in so many words. For many readers, that will make your opinions worthless.

You have me confused with someone else as I never made the statement you accused me of. So I would suggest you get your facts straight before making ridiculous and inaccurate statements.

As they approach 10 years old, all of the Millennium class ships are beging to show their age, but that is no reason to avoid a good deal when it comes along.

You will still get great Celebrity service, a relaxing cruise and some delicious food, so pay attention and start cruising.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Archived