Royal Caribbean Excursion - Jamica

Has anyone used this excursion through RCI ?

Shaw Park Beach

What type of transportation is provided ? How far is the beach from the port ? Is this beach area safe with small children ?

Thanks for your support.

Has anyone used this excursion through RCI ?

Shaw Park Beach

What type of transportation is provided ? How far is the beach from the port ? Is this beach area safe with small children ?

Thanks for your support.

I lived in Ocho Rios in the 1990's, and a lot has changed, but when I was there, Shaw Park was not one of the nicer properties, and there are a lot nicer and newer ones now.

I don't know if this has changed, and you could call the hotel to find out, but back in the day their beach was clothing optional. Like I said, it might have changed, but I would call to find out, particularly if you are traveling with kids.:eek:

I only went to Shaw Park because at night they had one of the best nightclubs in town, called Silk's. Who knows if that is still there either.

For a family, I suggest the Jamaica Grande. It has lots of pools, a private beach with lifeguard, poolside music, waterfalls, and a waterslide if they are tall enough. You can buy an all inclusive day pass for $30-60 (depending on the crowd that day) which includes all the food and drinks you want. Try their jerk chicken poolside, it's awesome. I was just there in April so this info is pretty fresh.

The hotel is 3 minutes from the port by taxi, or you can take a nice walk.

Hope this helps.

If I was ever to be in Jamaica again, I would call up Peat Taylor tours. It may not be a day of lounging by the pool, but it is incredible! See their website here: http://ochoriosjamaicatours.com/

We spent a week in Jamaica earlier this year and I jotted down their phone number and called them when we were there and it was the best day of the vacation. Peat's son O'Neil took us all around... We did Dunn's River Falls and some white water tubing up in the mountains and took him with us for dinner in Ocho Rios at the Jerk Centre.

I've since talked to others who have done tours there and they don't compare. Peat also has great reviews on Trip Advisor. If you book something with them, you won't be disappointed and you'll be amazed at how inexpensive it is compared to any other getaways!

As for Shaw... I've also read that it is completely dated and incomparable to any of the newer resorts.

Archived