take our snorkling gear or rent it there?

dancing fox

I take my mask with snorkle and floation vest, but rent the fins. The fins are bulky and heavy to carry and pack and I don't own my own fins. If I had some really nice fins that I particularly liked it might be worth it to me to carry them with me, but I find it very easy and inexpensive to rent them.

I've tried it both ways: bringing fins, mask, snorkel and renting. I like my own mask/snorkel and it's not too bulky to pack or schlep around. In December I brought all three, but the fins took up a lot of room.

This trip (going to Bermuda 8/8) I'm bringing only my mask/snorkel, as schlepping my fins on a train to NYC and on a bus in Bermuda is cumbersome. That, and if I get my $200 fins stolen, I'll really be unhappy!

I do not find carrying my fins any more of an issue than carrying my mask and snorkel, but then I a) drive to the port, and they are packed in a suitcase with other odds and ends, and b) when we are in port, we have a big canvas beach bag, with towels, sunscreen, and whatever else we are taking to the beach or excursion, so they fit in there. No muss, no fuss, and I know they fit my feet.

Depends on how big your feet are and if you can comfortably wear them. Less than size 12 feet and you are probably in business, but I have seen the correct size fins not be available for people when a lot of the same sized feet are on the boat...then they try to foist off poorly fitting fins that make the event burdensome.

HI, there is no way I would use one of their snorkels, they supposedly disinfect them but who knows how well:( To snorkel you don't have to get the heavy scuba fins, a light weight pair does the job to snorkel and you are assured of a comfortable fit. Put it all in a nylon mesh bag with a shoulder strap and it is easy to carry. :)

If you are going out on formal snorlel tours by that I mean vendors offered by the ship or locally established firms and as someone said your foot is a size 12 or under save the room in your luggage and the 2 pounds. the vendors 99.9% certain with have a selection of fins to choose from. But the mask, snorkel and inflatible vest are wise to take. Also a liitle baby shampoo and water to defog your mask if useful.

It depends on how fond you are of your equipment. I will only use my own snorkel (more sanitary) and mask (I have the comfort fabric strap that does not tangle and rip out my hair!!). I also prefer my fins because I have a pair that has the ankle strap versus the bootie type - much easier to hop in the water and pull them on and easier to clear out sand, etc if the situation demands. And they always fit!

I find it worth it to schlep my stuff around b/c I chose it all with my comfort and ease of use in mind, but I think it is a very personal choice. Also, hubby usually ends up carrying it (in the mesh bag with shoulder strap mentioned by taraparrothead) when we are in town shopping before or after snorkeling! Sure makes it easy for me. Hahaha

My set and my husbands set weighs 7 pounds total (including his vest and the anti-smog stuff). If we are gonig somewhere where they don't include equipment or we are going to do it without a tour - we bring it. Otherwise, we don't. Basically in the Caribbean we don't bring it - everywhere else we do.

I have prescription mask .........so always bring. Would not use anything but our own snorkel stuff. Pack a small bottle of bleach (3 oz) and dish soap to use when washing our gear in the laundry sink.

Have our own vests and fins, and we bring those. Husband is a diabetic and if fins don't fit......not good. I also have shorter fins with ankle strap. If they have vests with strap will use theirs, other wise use our own . Don't like the vest to ride up.

On one excursion they provided vest and snorkel gear but no fins. That time we did not bring out fins , no good. Choppy water and lots of swimming to the coast area to see good fish.

Our snorkel gear has its own case ........easy to put everything together. Room for towels, sunscreen etc for 2. If it gets wet or sandy beaches........easy to clean out.

Personal choice, bad fins ruin the experience.

Just back from our trip this morning (:(). We went on 2 snorkeling excursions, one out of Grand Turk, one out of Nassau. We took our own equipment, which, other than having to carry it from the ship to the excursion and back, was, IMHO, a much better deal, at least for me. The equipment provided by the excursion, was part of the cost, but while decent, is rudimentary, or more specifically, the snorkel is a basic one. I have a snorkel with a purge valve, theirs does not. Mine has the anti-splash protection, theirs does not. Aside from that theirs is fine. Our stop on Half Moon Cay, I did not take mine ashore. They do have rentals ashore ($19 a day I believe), and there is a snorkeling area at the east end of the beach, but it is small, and right off shore, so I don't know how good it is. Had I planned to snorkel there, I would have preferred my own, but we did not anticipate much beach time, so did not attempt it. In this case, it would have been a hassle carrying it around, simply due to having to lug it around the ship until time for our tender (you would not have time to go back to the cabin to get it), and around the beach all day. If you rent, you don't have the carrying hassles, and you can turn it in when you are done. This is opposed to the excursions, where carrying it was short distance, and when the excursions were done, in both cases we went back to the ship to change and eat, so the equipment was dropped off in our cabin, we didn't have to worry about what to do with it the rest of the day. The bottom line is - It will depend on your particular itinerary, and how much you prefer to have the better quality equipment.

I bring them with me. You never knopw the quality of the equipment once you get there, and the costs are so cheap these days to own, it's not a big deal. I lay my fins in my suitcase and place all my clothes over them. I stick my sock inside the fins to stop them from being crushed, plus it save space.

I like my snorkel and I have not been impressed with rental ones. I like mine as it has a reliefe valve at the bottom and a check valve (flapper valve) at the top to reduce the amount of water that's in my tube when I resurface.

As for the mask: a good fit is imperative for scuba diving, and should also be for snorkeling: if you dive past a couple feet underwater, you want your mask to have a good seal, plus have good visibility.

I also take a back-pack with me that I put all my snorkeling gear in, that I roll up and stick in my suitcase for flying. It is great because I can stick my towels in there, water, and anything else I want to take with me for my excursions.

We Have Our own Equipment and have been able to snorkel with out extra fees or being stuck on the beach after a rushed tour in costa maya. When others had to turn in their equipment and sit around for another hour we went in and had an even better snorkel time on our own! We are taking our equipment to The Baths on Virgin Gorda.This is not a snorkel trip but the reviews are saying it is a good place to snorkel. Even when the snorkeling is not so great, for no more money its wonderful practice. Half moon Key can be nice for that. for free,it can be a great place to snorkel.

• 1 month later...

We carry our own gear but it is very light and compact.

1. We use clear Leader swim goggles not full masks. We are not free diving and rarely go deeper then 10 or 15 feet. Leader goggles have a large silicone base and are comfortable, plus we use them constantly in the pools on board & in the surf to prevent stinging eyes.

2. We carry a full vest for my wife and I use a small CO2 charged inflatable floating rescue pad that packs slightly larger then a cell phone, it belts on. With this equipment we can safely swim as far out as we please on deserted beaches or rougher seas without becoming a statistic.

3. We use Alpha fins http://www.swim2000.com/product/aquasphere-alpha-fins/

they float and will not chaff, they are made of the same soft material as crocs. They are not a full size fin so very easy to pack and light. They allow you to swim free style while snorkeling which allows us to cover long distances fast. You can swim out to the dive boats and beyond with ease if you are a competent swimmer.

4. Not all snorkels are equal by a long shot. We use a Cressi dry oval snorkel that can be folded when packed. This snorkel allows a larger volume of air to pass with reduced resistance. The difference is noticeable when snorkeling and huge when freestyling and the snorkel has less drag at speed.

We have packed this gear and only used two carry on cases for a 5 day cruise and I took a tux! I like going through airports fast and we may not have much but we have it in our rooms when we get on the ship.

I Swim at the YMCA 3 times a week and can cover 40 laps / 2 km in about 20 minutes with this gear and just be slightly winded.

My wife and I both bring mask fins and snorkels. I am also a scuba diver so I bring my regulator. Using rental fins is like wearing rental shoes, if you have some that fit and are comfortable why would you subject yourself to the cheap uncomfortable rental fins. As for packing the fins we lay them flat at the bottom of the suitcase and they hardly take up any room.

Same is true for our masks, they are comfortable and fit, the difference between a good snorkeling/diving trip and a terrible one can be as simple as a leaky mask. If your mask fits well it won't leak much at all.

I like using my own snorkel because I know who threw up in it last......

Archived