Jewel of the Seas or Norwegian Jewel

richkat

I think there might be a Jewel in our future. We're debating between booking the Norwegian Jewel or Jewel of the Seas. We're quite struck with the beauty of the Radiance Class ships (although we haven't cruised on one yet) but 2 of our best cruises were on the Norwegian Sky -- enjoyed freestyle, alternative restaurants and the entertainment. Anybody cruised on both a Radiance class ship and a newer NCL ship -- Sky, Sun, Dawn, Star, etc?

Thanks,

R&K

I've cruised the Radiance and the Sun. Radiance is my favorite ship, but we really like freestyle. If it were me, I'd take whichever combination of itinery/price that works best. IMO, you're pretty much in a can't lose siituation.

-Monte

Richkat

tell me about the newer Norwegian ships. we cruised on an older one (majesty) and had a less-than spectacular cruise ... are the newer ships better stabilized (was biggest flaw with the old ones).

We've only cruised on the Sky--and it was just the beginning of better things to come. It did feel a bit top heavy when we were in Alaska--thought it was going to tip over one night. The next week the ship did tip a bit and dishes/gift shop items spilled all over. But we sailed her again in the Caribbean and she was fine. We really wanted to cruise the Dawn but she moved to NY before we had a chance to catch her out of Florida. Had talked about the Spirit and the Sun but they are moving too soon for us. So, we're really going to have to book the Jewel. Can't wait.

-- R&K

We've been on the Sky and the Dawn (sister to the Norwegian Jewel) and the Radiance. Loved them all, but the Dawn is our favorite. I prefer freestyle dining, like the deck layouts, liked the food better, liked the shows better, liked the things to do better on the Dawn. Mind you, we thought the Radiance was beautiful, we just enjoyed ourselves better on the Dawn.

We are hoping to do the Norwegian Jewel in Nov with friends.

Oh, and I don't recall any rockin or rollin of any of these ships. I don't know if it was calm seas or the ships themselves to thank for that.

I´ve been on the Dawn once and the Jewel twice. I have to say although the Dawn was not bad the Jewel wins way ahead.

Well it´s hard where to begin with.

Ship Layout:

I like it better when the decks of a ship are straight and walkable for the entire length. On the Dawn you sometimes have to go up or down one floor to reach another spot on the same deck because there is a non public area in the middle.

I hate such layouts.

Although it might be nice to have many many restaurants on board I think to much public space is wasted by these restaurants. Eating is not my main issue on a cruise and I like to see many nice public areas onboard like lounges, ect.

I think fewer restaurants on the Dawn would have done it.

Compared to other ships I´ve been on I thought the cabins on the Dawn in comparable categories have been small.

Freestyle Dining:

To me it was a try for one cruise but it was nothing for me. I have to say I hated it.

Food:

Wasn´t bad, but I haven´t been thrilled either, think it was better on the Jewel.

I´m sure I could find more examples why the Jewel would win for me.

Jowever the Dawn was not that bad as it might sound but to go again it need to be a very good deal and an itinerary that I die for.

If it would be comparable itineraries and price I would definitely take the Jewel.

BTW they are all built by the same shipyard

Archived