Useful Information for Future Cruisers in Asia

patinwv

Hello!

We recently returned from a cruise to Japan, South Korea, and China and want to express gratitude to those who provided information that we used on our recent journey. This post provides a useful recap of the information for others and some new information that others will find useful if traveling in the area.

In Japan we used Goodwill Guides in Kyoto and Nagasaki (link is http://www.geocities.jp/goodsamaritanclub_hp/). Our guides were delightful young women who showed up, helped us with the local transportation, assisted us in ordering from restaurant menus, and located museums and gardens for us to tour. You will reimburse them for their travel, meals, and entry fees. They are not professional guides and for many this is their first time viewing many of the places we visited. You can also locate professional guides/interpreters at http://www.guidesearch.jp/search/search.php?language=english. They will answer your emails promptly but are high-priced. We especially enjoyed Nijo Castle, the Atomic Bomb Museum, and Glover Gardens. Shopping arcades have lots of clothes and cell phones. Try to eat at a noodle house. Look for Japanese kimono stores as they often sell lovely kimonos and jackets (haori) as "seconds" or used for a fraction of the new cost. I found my jacket in Nagasaki in a large arcade.

We did not use any formal guides in South Korea. Some observations on traveling in S. Korea: cruise ship shuttles will deposit you in the downtown areas with shops selling typical American-style goods (shoes, clothes,cell phones). Look around for small shops that sell Korean clothes. They have lovely embroidered silk jackets for about $100 for men and women. You'll need to use sign language to negotiate as very few Koreans speak English. In Busan we enjoyed the Lotte Department store--said to be the largest in the world. The fish market exists in all Korean towns we visited (Busan, Jeju Island, Mopko) and are fascinating. Watch the vendors (women in red aprons) prepare the fish for customers (not for faint at heart).

Our cruise missed 2 ports in China due to weather so we had 3 days (not enough) in Shanghai. We used Flora Lin (email bestchinatrip@gmail.com) for 2 days and were delighted. She uses a new, Buick that is air-conditioned with a driver and is a great guide. She's friendly and knowledgeable about the city. Our favorite activities were the Suzhou silk factory tour. There's also an opportunity to buy silk goods at the factory store (clothes, traditional clothes, bedding). We enjoyed the Master of the Nets Garden, Jade Buddha, Shanghai Museum, driving through the Bund, and Chinese tea ceremony (yet another opportunity to sell you something). Shopping in jade and pearl stores will get you a demo and a designated salesperson that will negotiate the sale with great persistence and persuasion. Silk paintings are available in many locations and are expensive but lovely. Small ones are about $25-40. We'd skip the Pearl TV Tower as it is crowded and nothing special, in our opinion.

We enjoyed our 2 weeks and found this forum one of the best for tips.

Thank you so much for this. I had already decided to try to arrange a goodwill volunteer host so it is good to hear of your experiences.

I would be very interested to hear of your day in Kyoto. How much were you able to see? I assume you took the train to get there.

What ports in China did you miss?

Because we had to travel to Kyoto from Kobe and return in time to board our cruise we had little time to tour. We were only able to see Nijo Castle and eat at a famous noodle house. Using the trains is easy once you get help. We were assisted in Kobe by one of the train station's staff who was willingly helping anyone that looked confused standing at the ticket machine. Trains are either no stops or every stop. We did all the stops and it took about 45 minutes. It was interesting to travel across the countryside. The guides will not contact you until a couple of weeks in advance. You submit a request and one of them will email you. They have ideas about places to see but will also gladly take you wherever you want to go. People were friendly and helpful but not as English fluent as we thought they'd be. Your guide will also carry a hand-held translator to facilitate communication. Have a great time!

Patinwv - Thank you very much for this information. We are booked on the same itinerary in August. I plan to contact Flora Lin for a tour in Shanghai. What did she charge for your full-day tour of Shanghai? Thank you for the recommendation! How was the weather during your cruise?

Thanks!

Hello,

Flora charged us about $800 (about 3,000 RMB) for 2 days of intense touring. She wants Chinese RMBs so you will need to convert your currency. A tip for driver and Flora is not included so you should expect to allocate more for the tours. She will work with you on price and tour options. Be aware that most of the tourist sites have a money-making opportunity attached (i.e., you are invited to purchase souvenirs). We were surprised just how interested the Chinese were in our tourist business :) The weather was miserable--either raining or muggy. Flora planned our time so that we were either inside when it stormed or outside for short periods during the muggiest part of the day. We were please with Flora and found her exceptional. You will not be disappointed. She answers emails promptly is reliable.

I also used Flora and her assistant, Nancy.....I found them excellent.We changed things around a bit since we wanted to used on;y local trains, buses ect, rather than a driver....at least on some tours. Much we did on our own without a guide. I loved going to Suzou with Nancy. She has encourged me to learn Chinese and now my husband and I are both taking lessons in Mandarin. It is a surprisingly easy language to learn. Everyone scared us about tones....but we speak in tones also but it is called inflections...:)

Archived