Traveling w/an Asperger's son

aphough

Happy Belated Birthday to her.......

(sorry I missed this post the first time around)

Obviously I can't handle more than one thread at a time..... :D

You are so right about that last sentence. In the past 2 years...we had THREE of the 16 cruises handled correctly. Fortunately, I always stand in line...talk with the Maitre D' and get it corrected.

On the Dream, when we got on the 9 day Bloggers Cruise....I must confess that I was the one having the melt down.

I stand in line...check and sure enough...they have us at a table for 10 LATE SEATING! (we always eat EARLY ) Our documents said "confirmed early". I had once again contacted Guess Access months ahead......so I stand in line to get Klaudio to correct it.

And then I hear these words out of Klaudio's mouth. "Sorry, there is nothing I can do."

I said "excuse me? Platinum members are guaranteed early or late."

"sorry, we have 600 Platinum members on board...we can not honor that guarantee"

I said " so you are telling me that a special needs child that has 33 cruises with Carnival gets ignored, because your Guest Access services did not do their job and you have 600 Platinum members onboard? "

"Sorry, there is nothing I can do" and then tried to dismiss me.

That was not the correct thing to do.

And all I can say is...my reaction wasn't pretty.

It took them one night, but we had our private table.... (and I did not have to use John Heald to get it done!)

We need a voice!

:DI've already collected over 1000 signatures for autism awareness classes for airport staff-and we need to get the awareness out there.

Please come and share your advice,ideas and stories with others!!!!

http://autisticglobetrotting.blogspot.com/

http://www.autisticglobetrotting.com/

Autistic families need a voice and guidance.Our joint stories,ideas, and experience can at least help other!

I have a PHD in being overprotective....so as he has gotten older, I did worry more about that.

(especially when he got into Club O2)

I think it was the 2nd time he was in Club O2...I peeked in (where he could not see me)....

All the teenage boys were sitting around the bar ....acting all macho....

all the girls were sitting across the room on couches....talking....

and where was DJ ???

Right in the middle of all the girls.....:D

Yes, kids can be cruel....but for the most part on cruises, we have been blessed not to have hardly any of that from them.

Most of the time, I see other boys giving DJ a "high 5" as they are walking down the Promenade.

The rare times we have all been in the Atrium together ( waiting to debark or something)....we would hear these teenage girls from 2 floors up going "hey DJ".

So...for a little while...all is right with the world....even in Holland!!

Haha, way to go DJ! I hope my son turns out to be as popular. He recently had his first prom (8th grade) and went by himself. I gave him my camera and told him he better take pictures. I was amazed when I downloaded them that they were mostly of him in the middle of a bunch of girls. :D Yeah, I can see him sitting there with the girls like DJ. LOL The only thing he would probably have in common with the boys is his love of video games. He's not into sports or normal teenage boy stuff.

CCL will handle medical needs quite well. Call customer service and explain your son's medical needs. I would hope they would seat you in the VIP lounge and get you on board right away and let you depart in the early group. If he has any food allergies also mention them. CCL will go out of it's way to be helpful. At least this has been my experience. I have an adult son who is hearing impaired and a very successful trial attorney, but his childhood was difficult. I understand your concern when people judge you and your child in public without knowing you or him. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I believe you are correct Linda, I think I read it recently (in Carnival's FAQ's about Children with Disabilities). They will allow one age group down. Wish they would consider 19 to 20 as Club O2 eligible when special needs is involved.

Nate kind of does his own thing also. On this cruise coming up it's just the 2 of us - dad can't make this one. He doesn't know that old friends are going to be on the same cruise. There will be 2 young ladies - both 18 - one the daughter of an old friend and her daughters friend. The one he knows he hasn't seen in since she was 11 - she looks MUCH different now. I have been'warning Nate that he can't just go up to ladies and give them hugs (which he does - A LOT). I also asked the friend to let the ladies know they need to let Nate know up front what they are comfortable and uncomfortable with Nate doing (hug when greeting or not). As long as he knows his bondaries he's fine. I'm hoping they will hang out with him some - but I never force the issue and let it happen naturally. He's not much of the disco type - but you never know if the ladies are going.

As I remember, he loved playing cards????

Which DJ would do...but wasn't crazy out it....UNTIL about a year ago...and now he is a UNO nut. I mean it played UNO some in the past but now we play 4 games a day.

go figure.....

We need a voice!

:DI've already collected over 1000 signatures for autism awareness classes for airport staff-and we need to get the awareness out there.

Please come and share your advice,ideas and stories with others!!!!

http://autisticglobetrotting.blogspot.com/

http://www.autisticglobetrotting.com/

Autistic families need a voice and guidance.Our joint stories,ideas, and experience can at least help other!

Great idea....I had never thought of that....

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions I emailed the special needs department last night and received an email a few minutes ago. They have already contacted the port and ship about our needs and they will allow us to have assitance board and leaving the ship along with special accomodations for the safety drill. This is a little weight taken off my shoulders just incase he was having not such a great day.

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions I emailed the special needs department last night and received an email a few minutes ago. They have already contacted the port and ship about our needs and they will allow us to have assitance board and leaving the ship along with special accomodations for the safety drill. This is a little weight taken off my shoulders just incase he was having not such a great day.

Tex should be your Cruise Director.

Tell him Linda ( DJ's Mom ) said HI. He knows us from multiple cruises we have done with him....and we have him coming up in October on the Triumph...can't wait.

And tell him DJ said "GO Gators!!" (long standing joke) :D

That is great to hear now you and relax a little until you need to pack! :p

Have a wonderful cruise and remember Hakuna Matata! :D

That is great to hear now you and relax a little until you need to pack! :p

Have a wonderful cruise and remember Hakuna Matata! :D

HaHa!! I will. Believe it or not I have already started packing a little bit. Picking up all those odds and ends that I have found on the packing lists on CC. Went thru and hightlighted what I thought we should bring and started picking things up here and there and throwing them into a suitcase. 4 weeks and counting:-)

Tex should be your Cruise Director.

Tell him Linda ( DJ's Mom ) said HI. He knows us from multiple cruises we have done with him....and we have him coming up in October on the Triumph...can't wait.

And tell him DJ said "GO Gators!!" (long standing joke) :D

I will tell him DJ said HI!!! and GO GATORS!!! We are so looking forward to this cruise we all need it!!!!

My son is also on the spectrum. We booked our cruise through Autism on The Seas. They handled everything that you are concerned about. Here is what they provide and is listed on their website at www.autismontheseas.com :

- Our Guidance

We've made cruising with autism our expertise and we're here

to help you. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or

concerns, especially as it relates to autism and cruising.

- Prices you find on the Cruise Line websites, are the prices you pay.

- Special Children Nametags more info

- Cruise PECS more info- Cruise Social Story more info

- Small Dinner Table just for your family more info

- Pre-Cruise Questionnaire to aid the onboard Children

Counselors more info

- All of the regular services and activities on board each Cruise Line

- Special Dietary Accommodations

- Priority Boarding onto Ship more info

- Priority Disembarkation from Ship more info

- Private Muster Drill Area more info

- Autism Awareness Cards for Cruise Staff

access-on-the-seas%20Wheelchair.gif Access and Services for People with Disabilities more info

- Professional Medical Physicians and Nurses more info

- Special Gifts

- Special Potty Training Provisions more info

- Special Children's Program Grouping Rules more info

- Exemption for Dinner Dress Code more info

- Most "Special" Requests and Needs met

- Group Discounts available.

You do not pay extra for these services and if you've already booked your cruise through someone else or with Carnival directly you can just transfer your cruise to them. Have fun on your cruise!!!

Robyn

My son is also on the spectrum. We booked our cruise through Autism on The Seas. They handled everything that you are concerned about. Here is what they provide and is listed on their website at www.autismontheseas.com :

- Our Guidance

We've made cruising with autism our expertise and we're here

to help you. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or

concerns, especially as it relates to autism and cruising.

- Prices you find on the Cruise Line websites, are the prices you pay.

- Special Children Nametags more info

- Cruise PECS more info- Cruise Social Story more info

- Small Dinner Table just for your family more info

- Pre-Cruise Questionnaire to aid the onboard Children

Counselors more info

- All of the regular services and activities on board each Cruise Line

- Special Dietary Accommodations

- Priority Boarding onto Ship more info

- Priority Disembarkation from Ship more info

- Private Muster Drill Area more info

- Autism Awareness Cards for Cruise Staff

access-on-the-seas%20Wheelchair.gif Access and Services for People with Disabilities more info

- Professional Medical Physicians and Nurses more info

- Special Gifts

- Special Potty Training Provisions more info

- Special Children's Program Grouping Rules more info

- Exemption for Dinner Dress Code more info

- Most "Special" Requests and Needs met

- Group Discounts available.

You do not pay extra for these services and if you've already booked your cruise through someone else or with Carnival directly you can just transfer your cruise to them. Have fun on your cruise!!!

Robyn

If booked through Carnival...a booking has to be transferred WITHIN 30 days of booking.

Archived