Best Cooler

jleiwig

oh I get it --- you are stocking the coooler to take to the pool area? We were thinking of just getting a giant insulated mug for that.

I have this one and love it! It's just the right size to carry to the lido, doesn't leak and does a good job at keeping the drinks cold.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Picnic-Living-Barrel-Cooler/9203745

ok, so we got something similar to this:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/223758054/cooler_bag_Disposable_cooler_bag.html

We really aren't sure we will want a cooler. The regular ice bucket you get in a hotel room will work just fine for us. If they provide you something like that then we will be fine. Can someone please confirm?

So in addition to that we are getting those jumbo sized insulated mugs for drinks.

DH and I use this as our airline "carry on". If you buy it in black, it looks just like a piece of luggage! It rolls and is large enough to store tons of stuff in it. Then, when we get to the hotel - we fill it up and use it as our cooler in the room, take it to the beach, etc. When the trips over, it becomes our carry on again. You can find it at www.beallsflorida.com

Plan on taking this on our next cruise...

427-7608-3018-33-yyy?$product$

oh I get it --- you are stocking the coooler to take to the pool area? We were thinking of just getting a giant insulated mug for that.

Once you get on the boat with your contraband, you can acquire abandoned plastic beer buckets on the pool deck and have your own private stash of adult beverages. I don't need the whole stash with me in a cooler on the pool deck. Just 3 or 4 at a time. :D

You can find it at www.beallsflorida.com

Plan on taking this on our next cruise...

427-7608-3018-33-yyy?$product$

LINK:

http://www.beallsflorida.com/r/Tropix_In_line_Skate_Wheels_Outdoor_Coolers_Outdoor_Living/product?styleid=155557&

That cooler appears to be 16" high which is apparently illegal by TSA's new standards (12" by 12" by 12"). Your Mileage May Vary if you can get it by the lovely TSA agents.

LINK:

http://www.beallsflorida.com/r/Tropix_In_line_Skate_Wheels_Outdoor_Coolers_Outdoor_Living/product?styleid=155557&

That cooler appears to be 16" high which is apparently illegal by TSA's new standards (12" by 12" by 12"). Your Mileage May Vary if you can get it by the lovely TSA agents.

TSA does not deal with cruise ships.

This has always been our carry on - we've never been stopped or questioned about it from TSA... I work at an airport and can tell you that the ticket agents are the ones who stop you if your carry on is too big - by the time you get to TSA - you are just sent through the line.

One way to bypass - go to the outside kiosks and check in (not the ticket counters) BTW - tip them well, that's their livelihood. I've never had a problem with carry ons - but I see your point... some of the agents I'm sure have rulers and all you need to do is catch them at a bad mood and YIKES :eek:

I cruised two years out of Mobile and four years ago out of Fort Lauderdale. Both times - I successfully rolled a 50-can cooler on with a case of beer on the bottom and case of cokes/waters on top. (Just in case someone wanted to see what was inside.)

This is a sample of what I've used in the past:

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Line-Rolling-Collapsible-Cooler/dp/B003UZ8478

It's the soft sided fabric cooler with retractable handles and four wheels.

I'm headed out of Tampa next week and I'm trying to figure out my plan of action to drink cheaply. THOUGHTS?

Nowdays, this is unlikely to be allowed as a carry-on -- even if it fits in the 24"x14" x-ray opening, they'll see the cans, inspect them and find the beer cans.

Your otherr shot is to check the cooler; since it's pretty obviously a cooler and not allowed for checked luggage, the porters may or may not accept it, but again, the x-ray will catch the cans and you may or may not get ncalled to security to open it.

ken

This has always been our carry on - we've never been stopped or questioned about it from TSA... I work at an airport and can tell you that the ticket agents are the ones who stop you if your carry on is too big - by the time you get to TSA - you are just sent through the line.

One way to bypass - go to the outside kiosks and check in (not the ticket counters) BTW - tip them well, that's their livelihood. I've never had a problem with carry ons - but I see your point... some of the agents I'm sure have rulers and all you need to do is catch them at a bad mood and YIKES :eek:

I'm trying to get this on a cruise boat with a decent sized cooler, not an airplane. ;)

Sorry for the confusion. Here are Carnival's official policies....

Embarkation Process - what to expect:

Security Checkpoint

You will go through the x-ray security machines with your carry-on luggage. If your luggage exceeds 24"W x 16"H x 30"L, you must see a porter to have it checked in.

Large cooler restrictions:

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow guests to bring large coolers on board its ships. However small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12”H x 12”L x 12”W for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage. Screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process. Therefore, large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage.

Nowdays, this is unlikely to be allowed as a carry-on -- even if it fits in the 24"x14" x-ray opening, they'll see the cans, inspect them and find the beer cans.

Your otherr shot is to check the cooler; since it's pretty obviously a cooler and not allowed for checked luggage, the porters may or may not accept it, but again, the x-ray will catch the cans and you may or may not get ncalled to security to open it.

ken

I would rather try to roll (or carry) something on myself. In the past, i had no problem. They could obviously see it was cans in the cooler on their X-Ray machine, but no one with the port security ever asked me to open it up. don't know the exact dimensions, but this type of cooler fit into their X-Ray machine just fine when you pushed the handled down all the way.

I understand that the TSA is handling security at ports these days. My parents went on a cruise out of Jacksonville two weeks ago and confirmed this.

I don't think this is the case. TSA and the Ports sometime ago are co-partners in a program to do background checks and a TWIC cert on port workers for port security, but I don't believe TSA is doing the airport-like security inspections. Do you have any links for this?

ken

I would rather try to roll (or carry) something on myself. In the past, i had no problem. They could obviously see it was cans in the cooler on their X-Ray machine, but no one with the port security ever asked me to open it up. don't know the exact dimensions, but this type of cooler fit into their X-Ray machine just fine when you pushed the handled down all the way.

All I/we can do is re-iterate that in the past 3-6 months the "alcohol" rules have tightened and now it's guaranteed they'll spot the cans/bottles and very likely they'll then open the luggage and find & confiscate the beer. These days I'd say you have maybe a 10% chance of success as carry-on. Just one input in answer to the question you aked. ken

Look for a collapsible cooler that you can fold up and put in your suitcase. It will be larger than a 12x12 and easier to get on board and off. You can find them at Walmart, Costco, Sam's Target, or any large sporting goods store.

Sooo, as long as it collapses and can go in checked luggage, it doesnt have to follow the 12x12 dimensions rule?

Sooo, as long as it collapses and can go in checked luggage, it doesnt have to follow the 12x12 dimensions rule?

That's right. Once in your cabin, you'll unpack it, expand it, and ask the room Steward to fill it and keep it filled with ice for the cruise. ken

I have never thought about taking a cooler on the cruise and am curious why other's do? :confused: Maybe it's something I should plan on taking? Please let me know how you use it. Thank you so much for the info. :)

I have never thought about taking a cooler on the cruise and am curious why other's do? :confused: Maybe it's something I should plan on taking? Please let me know how you use it. Thank you so much for the info. :)

Generally to keep the sodas, waters or booze they brought aboard, cold. ken

Thanks ken.

Which do you think has a higher chance of success for beer smuggling?

Bring some beers in a soft sided bag cooler that hangs over your shoulder & looks like a large women's purse?

OR

Bring a couple of 12 packs of soft drinks fridge packs with the beers in the "middle 10" slots?

If isn't that easy to sneak to beer anymore..... I'm not sure why folks would want or need a larger cooler of ice in their stateroom. Unless they were trying to keep a large amount of soft drinks cold OR make mixed frozen drinks with their own private stash of alcohol (rum runners). What am I missing?

You are going to have a tough time trying to sneak any beer on board. Every bag (including Ladies handbags) go through a scanner and if cans or bottles are in it they will show up on the moniter. They will then ask for you to open it and will inspect, if there's beer it will be confiscated.

Thanks ken.

Which do you think has a higher chance of success for beer smuggling?

Bring some beers in a soft sided bag cooler that hangs over your shoulder & looks like a large women's purse? Still goes thru the X-Ray and any useable number of cans will stand-out - all depends on how the inspectors are feeling as to whether they pursue it!

OR

Bring a couple of 12 packs of soft drinks fridge packs with the beers in the "middle 10" slots? Probably your better idea! They do allow a 12-pack of sodas per person - so if two of you shared a 24 case with the center section substituted, you might have a shot - but you have to be prepared to have it confiscated if they pluck out that center can to inspect!

If isn't that easy to sneak to beer anymore..... I'm not sure why folks would want or need a larger cooler of ice in their stateroom. Unless they were trying to keep a large amount of soft drinks cold OR make mixed frozen drinks with their own private stash of alcohol (rum runners). What am I missing? IMO it's "easier" to smuggle liquor than it is to smuggle cans of beer, which show-up on the carry-on and checked luggage X-Rays, and it seems to be a matter of how much the inspexctors care about flagging and checking the luggage.

Also - would you think it would be easier to embark toward the end of the embarkation time (when things are presumably more busy for port & cruise line staff) for smuggling purposes? Personally I don't think so as everything pretty much goes thru the scanners at the same pace - altho the inspectors might be more weary at that time!

Davex (500 days to go???) kind of says it, above>

ken

Are there any Carnival stated limits on the amount of soft drinks you can carry on?

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation Day:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. (A corkage fee is a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of liquor served that was not bought on the premises)

On embarkation day, guests may bring a small quantity (package of 12 per person) of non-alcoholic beverages onboard, only in their carry-on luggage.

All alcohol/hard liquor/beer (sealed, unopened bottles/cans), wine/champagne over the allowable 1-bottle per guest (sealed, unopened bottles) or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages (over 12 per person, sealed, unopened bottles/cans) will be confiscated and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to the guest’s stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

Large cooler restrictions:

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow guests to bring large coolers on board its ships. However small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12”H x 12”L x 12”W for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage. Screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process. Therefore, large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage.

Ports-of-Call:

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in any Port-of-Call will be retained at the gangway, stored on board and held by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Gift Shops On Board:

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in the ship's gift shop will be stored on board and be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

So regarding the 12 pack of soda allowed....there will be 7 of us boarding, but 3 of those 7 are under 15 years of age. Are they allowed to carry on a 12-pack of soda as well?

There's no age limitation stated for carrying on Sodas and waters. There is an age limitation (21 or over) stated for the allowed 1 bottle wine/champagne. A (unlimited) soda card for the kids would be something like $4.50 (plus 15% gratuity and taxes if in port) per day per kid 17 Years Old and Younger. ken

Archived