Best Cooler

jleiwig

So with the 12"x12"x12" cooler dimensions, does anyone have a link to one that is sturdy, and will keep items cold yet remain within the dimensions?

I have found a lot of no longer made coolers that fall within the dimensions, but nothing current.

I'm surprised no one has made a "cruise cube" specifically for this requirement, but I guess it's not that old of a requirement from what I've read.

We purchased a back-back cooler before our last cruise and absolutely love it. While slightly under the specified dimensions it holds two six packs (or 10 with Ice) kooizies and four sandwiches in the main compartment. The top zipper is perfect for travel docs and the netting holds sunscreen and an MP3 player. It was especially great on our bermuda cruise as the port days are long but there are several picnic areas near many of the beaches.

As it looks like a regular back-pack it has some significant advantages.

124947101_lovethisthing.jpg.438bd9ce25a4ea2d0764d570fc106540.jpg

backback.JPG.83f6e04517f0c548512d8f14a8923ecb.JPG

Thanks everyone..even those of you who didn't actually read anything in my original post...LOL.

After checking out a couple coolers I think I'm going to go with this one from Target.

51cr5RAlssL._AA44_.jpg

Orange Cooler

They also have it in green at the store. It's got a hard liner inside of it so the water really can't leak out unless it tips over and comes out the zipper at the top. It's also less than the 12x12x12 dimension, which to me is important, because it's one less hassle to deal with on my vacation. I don't want to start my vacation off at the counter arguing with someone about a cooler size before even setting foot on the ship. My vacation is way more important than that.

Plus if I really need more cooler space, it says each person could bring one on, so we could have 4 coolers total, hence I see no reason to try anything else than what the rule states.

Hehe, us too. We are bringing that cooler bag (it was cheap $2.00) and buying those insulated mugs (big bubba?) to make drinks in to take to the pool area.

Once you get on the boat with your contraband, you can acquire abandoned plastic beer buckets on the pool deck and have your own private stash of adult beverages. I don't need the whole stash with me in a cooler on the pool deck. Just 3 or 4 at a time. :D

So with the 12"x12"x12" cooler dimensions, does anyone have a link to one that is sturdy, and will keep items cold yet remain within the dimensions?

I have found a lot of no longer made coolers that fall within the dimensions, but nothing current.

I'm surprised no one has made a "cruise cube" specifically for this requirement, but I guess it's not that old of a requirement from what I've read.

My favorite is a ridable one. Just tell the Carnival Hostess you are disabled and cannot lift over 5 pounds and she will send you to the front of the line.

It's battery powered so you can set up shop and sell water, beer & drinks around the pool~~!!~~

New-Image_yellow2.jpg

I take a five foot marine cooler check it in with the porters and tell them it's my luggage .. I have all my clothes in it to

Then on the last day I pack it full of all sorts of food

And take it home and live off it for 3weeks

We always book an interior room on deck 1 near the anchor. The way I look at it the real cost of the cruise is like 4dollars

Back when the fare for a single was cheaper, you could fit a wife (if small) into it to check on, then even use her to wheel it off at the end! That's a real win-win cruise :D

Nealstruber

As it looks like a regular back-pack it has some significant advantages.

Attached Thumbnailsattachment.php?attachmentid=162668&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1279454528 attachment.php?attachmentid=162669&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1279454953

Where did you order this cooler from? I have been looking for this for a while!!!

We actually came across it in our local supermarket (HEB). However the picture came from Target.com and it appears to be exactly what we had (except the color). It is an Igloo brand.

Do we need a cooler? Isn't there fridges on elation? And it be a pain to carry on and off the ship at ports, wouldn't it?

Most, but not all Carnival ships have mini-bars that keep items cool but they aren't really fridges and don't get your drinks ice cold.

This one is from Wal Mart $19.98 It is approved size per CCL. It is not exactly 12x12x12 but combined measurements are equal to or less than that even though it is 14" tall. I like that it rolls and is easy to carry on.

IMG_1053-1.jpg

We just got back and I did something very simple that worked wonderful. I took one of those insulated bags that you use for your groceries. Thin thermal lining. I took to very large ziplocs. Everything folded nice and flat in the suitcase. When I got onboard I filled it - ask the steward to put th eice in the bags (as this would REALLY leak). Left it in the shower when not using - just in case. It worked perfect. It got a little wet on the bottom so I just let it dry out the last night (had a bag to put it into just in case). It seemed to keep everything just as cold or colder then the last cooler I took onboard.

Now the type I'm talking about is cloth on the outside with a zipper. Not the flimsy foil bags.

bag3.jpg

This one is from Wal Mart $19.98 It is approved size per CCL. It is not exactly 12x12x12 but combined measurements are equal to or less than that even though it is 14" tall. I like that it rolls and is easy to carry on.

IMG_1053-1.jpg

You won't be able to bring this cooler onboard. If any side is over 12 inches, it is not permitted.

You won't be able to bring this cooler onboard. If any side is over 12 inches, it is not permitted.

They did measure this in Port Canaveral and they said YES it is approved size it is 14 high but only 7 wide. It does not need to be exactly 12x12x12. The Lady was training a new employee and even thanked me for obeying CCL rules about coolers.:D

They did measure this in Port Canaveral and they said YES it is approved size it is 14 high but only 7 wide. It does not need to be exactly 12x12x12. The Lady was training a new employee and even thanked me for obeying CCL rules about coolers.:D

Again, if any side exceeds 12 inches, it is not allowed. Does not matter if another side is less than 12 inches. The maximum of ANY side must be 12 inches or less. How hard is this to understand?

For others - many other cruisers have posted as having coolers refused for being "off" in only one of the measurements, to include the wheels.

The size requirement IS stated as 12"x12"x12" (and is NOT stated like the airlines as a total dimensions totalling 36" ) so the port personnel are within the rules to refuse a cooler off in one dimension. Personally, it's not worth a potential trip back to the car for 1 cubic foot of cooler. ken

So you can walk right on with an approved sized cooler - I didn't realize that - and you can have what in it? Can you already have beer in it? or just pop and water?

"• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage." ken

• 3 weeks later...

Well this is what I want to do. We are coming to Ft Lauderdale on Friday, and I am using a wheeled cooler that is 12 x 14 x 7 to bring clothes on the plane but once I get to Florida, I want to go buy water and soda to bring on the ship. It will be heavy so I want to wheel it on in this cooler because it has wheels. I have a 6 can cooler that I am bringing on the ship to keep the water and pop cold. So do you think they will take it away from me? I want to use this because it will be so much easier to get on the ship with the wheels instead of lugging the water and soda.

Well this is what I want to do. We are coming to Ft Lauderdale on Friday, and I am using a wheeled cooler that is 12 x 14 x 7 to bring clothes on the plane but once I get to Florida, I want to go buy water and soda to bring on the ship. It will be heavy so I want to wheel it on in this cooler because it has wheels. I have a 6 can cooler that I am bringing on the ship to keep the water and pop cold. So do you think they will take it away from me? I want to use this because it will be so much easier to get on the ship with the wheels instead of lugging the water and soda.

That's exactly why I took mine, to use as a bag on wheels more than as a cooler. I really got lucky that they didn't take mine because they took another cruiser's that had one just like it. It's really a gamble. They use rulers to measure and if it's an insulated bag, then it's a cooler in their mind. I'm going on another cruise in September and I'm not going to risk it this time. I like my cooler to much to lose it.

We just got back and I did something very simple that worked wonderful. I took one of those insulated bags that you use for your groceries. Thin thermal lining. I took to very large ziplocs. Everything folded nice and flat in the suitcase. When I got onboard I filled it - ask the steward to put th eice in the bags (as this would REALLY leak). Left it in the shower when not using - just in case. It worked perfect. It got a little wet on the bottom so I just let it dry out the last night (had a bag to put it into just in case). It seemed to keep everything just as cold or colder then the last cooler I took onboard.

Now the type I'm talking about is cloth on the outside with a zipper. Not the flimsy foil bags.

bag3.jpg

What a great idea and I just bought one last week at the 'fancy' grocery store. Thanks for the idea!!!

I take a five foot marine cooler check it in with the porters and tell them it's my luggage .. I have all my clothes in it to

Then on the last day I pack it full of all sorts of food

And take it home and live off it for 3weeks

We always book an interior room on deck 1 near the anchor. The way I look at it the real cost of the cruise is like 4dollars

Funniest thing EVER!

Archived