Best Cooler

jleiwig

Well this is what I want to do. We are coming to Ft Lauderdale on Friday, and I am using a wheeled cooler that is 12 x 14 x 7 to bring clothes on the plane but once I get to Florida, I want to go buy water and soda to bring on the ship. It will be heavy so I want to wheel it on in this cooler because it has wheels. I have a 6 can cooler that I am bringing on the ship to keep the water and pop cold. So do you think they will take it away from me? I want to use this because it will be so much easier to get on the ship with the wheels instead of lugging the water and soda.

Yes they will.

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks everyone..even those of you who didn't actually read anything in my original post...LOL.

After checking out a couple coolers I think I'm going to go with this one from Target.

51cr5RAlssL._AA44_.jpg

Orange Cooler

They also have it in green at the store. It's got a hard liner inside of it so the water really can't leak out unless it tips over and comes out the zipper at the top. It's also less than the 12x12x12 dimension, which to me is important, because it's one less hassle to deal with on my vacation. I don't want to start my vacation off at the counter arguing with someone about a cooler size before even setting foot on the ship. My vacation is way more important than that.

Plus if I really need more cooler space, it says each person could bring one on, so we could have 4 coolers total, hence I see no reason to try anything else than what the rule states.

Just an update to let everyone know that I purchased this cooler yesterday for our upcoming cruise, well actually 2 coolers, one for us and one for the in-laws. It seems to be very well built, the padding on the carry strap and shoulder strap are very plush, and the "bucket" inside is a nice hard plastic so it will not leak. I measured it yesterday and it is definitely less than the 12x12x12 limit. It says it will hold 12 cans of pop. I may end up going back to Target and getting another one, so we each can have one. I plan on putting 20 oz bottles of pop/water in mine since they don't have Mtn Dew on the ship! They had them in green, orange and royal blue at my local Target store. :D

• 10 months later...
Do we need a cooler? Isn't there fridges on elation? And it be a pain to carry on and off the ship at ports, wouldn't it?

No, I don't think from what I've read there are fridges on the Elation.

We are booked on the Elation for 9/l0. I did see there is a fridge on the Dream tho - we are booked on it for l0/l5.

This is what I took and loved it...didn't leak and kept everything really cold. Plus folds down nicely.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=173588&navAction

This is what we have as well. I have an older one in silver/grey with the old Sam's club logo on it, that is still going strong and doesn't leak. But it is looking pretty worn and abused (I scrub and scrub and it still looks dirty). Even though I know its clean every time I go to it for a drink it makes me cringe, so I just bought a new one at Sams to take on our next cruise. I'll keep the old one for back yard stuff.

I just lay the cooler flat in the bottom of a small roll on suitcase and then pile our drinks etc on top and then zip it shut.

I take a small personal fold-up cooler that holds about 4 cans and some ice and will slip inside my beach bag.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but on our last cruise we took all our drinks in a regular rolling carry-on (not a cooler) because our rolling cooler would ahve been too big. We also took a small colapsable cooler in a suitcase to keep a few drinks cold in the room. It was fine except our cooler leaked so we had to keep it in the shower. We won the cooler at some work thing and never used it before. No big deal but I wish I had checked for leaks before I left home - even if I didn't want to replace the cooler I probably could have duct-taped the leaks or brought trash bags to use as liners. Just a thought.

No, I don't think from what I've read there are fridges on the Elation.

We are booked on the Elation for 9/l0. I did see there is a fridge on the Dream tho - we are booked on it for l0/l5.

When we traveled the Elation last summer there were no refrigerators or blow driers in the rooms.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but on our last cruise we took all our drinks in a regular rolling carry-on (not a cooler) because our rolling cooler would ahve been too big. We also took a small colapsable cooler in a suitcase to keep a few drinks cold in the room. .

That is exactly what we do. My regular luggage came with a great rolling suitcase, that fit ( 2 ) 12 packs of soda and two bottles of wine (wrapped in bubble wrap) It was great getting up to the lido deck before the rooms were available with only a rolling suitcase. I brought a folding collapsible cooler in a checked luggage and our room steward kept it full of ice all week.

I know this is somewhat off topic. But can you pack any (at all) liquids in your checked baggage. We wanted to bring a 12 pack of soft drinks and 12 energy drinks as our carry on beverages. But I wanted to pack 5 hour energy shots in the suitcase. Will they take them if they are packed in checked luggage or do I need to count those as carry on beverages and not take as many softdrinks?

Archived