Things I have learned about tipping

reesegirl

Anyways..... We all agree that our servers on the cruise ships work hard for us. Most people would like to see that they are compansated accordingly so the point is, don't remove the tipss unless you're giving it in person, and if you feel the need and they gave you service beyond what you expected, TIP MORE!!!!:D

Don't feel bad....it wouldn't be brought to our minds if not for the ignorant ones on here. They don't realize how hard these people work. I too became friends with quite a few crew members on Facebook! Nice hard working people who have familys back in their own countrys and they send their money home to help their familys. Enjoy your cruise's Kevin
I swear it was weird after the cruise I actually missed our waitress and I was wishing I would have asked her if she was on Facebook to keep in touch and maybe get on another cruise with her and I actually tried searching for her by just her first name which is all I know and Carnival but I couldn't find her. She was so great to our kids.

I guess I don't understand this line...you want people to tell you how much they plan on tipping you ahead of you serving them so you know how good or bad you should serve them?

From my experience working in a restaurant, if I don't know you then I have no expectation of whether you will tip or not. So depending on the evening (slow, busy, etc.) you'll get good to great service. If the restaurant was extremely busy and I had regulars who were known to tip well at other tables you may get good or slightly good service.

Now if you were known to me (regular) and you were known to tip well, you'll always get great service. If you were known as a lousy tipper, well, you get the idea.

We had a regular couple who were known to never tip and they always left a card that explained that they were against tipping. Not sure why they ever came into the restaurant since nobody wanted them in their section. They always got the minimal service.

So if I know you are actually going to tip on a cruise then service should be above average to great. I believe that the staff on a cruise ship know the percentage of cabins that don't tip.

I tend to tip very well. In fact, I have had people tell me at restaurants that I tip too much. Like I am showing off or trying to impress or something! That being said, my large tips are a personal choice just like those removing auto tips are making a personal choice.

I try not to judge other people, and I sleep very well at night!

I tend to tip very well. In fact, I have had people tell me at restaurants that I tip too much. Like I am showing off or trying to impress or something! That being said, my large tips are a personal choice just like those removing auto tips are making a personal choice.

I try not to judge other people, and I sleep very well at night!

Just curious, what percentage tip do you leave when people tell you that you tip too much?

Just curious and im following the thread...

What are the things you learned about tipping Reesegirl?

Did you learn that per Carnival guidelines it is optional? Did you learn that all people that cruise tip more/less/not at all? Did you learn people remove auto tipping?

Someone also mentioned they dont believe people tip more based on the "hardships/backgrounds" of the people who are doing the serving yet it has been stated many times on these boards otherwise. Then again there is a lot of stuff stated on the internet and it doesnt make it true.

What do the other countries do that preclude them from tipping their "servers"?

If you have been doing it for 36 years you must like your job and thats great. To many people do not. However to assume people have the same views on something that is not mandatory is presumptious.

Hopefully you and others have read this far as the last time I posted this I was "flayed" even though they didnt read the following...

I wont be removing the auto tip and my wife and I tip above and beyond when warranted. However to expect everyone to do what I do and do it for the reasons I do is perposterous, especially if they do not have to.

So have you really learned "things" from tipping or were you just trying to convince the people that dont have to or dont want too do something that they should?

Cause really they dont.

Wow and it is not very windy in Oklahoma today! :eek:

To each there own. I am not talking McDonalds. Leaving $140 for a $100 check is not out of line to me. Call me a liar. I don't care. Again, I won't judge you.

To each there own. I am not talking McDonalds. Leaving $140 for a $100 check is not out of line to me. Call me a liar. I don't care. Again, I won't judge you.

goo for you

Archived