need dining explanation

lorij1975

Doing research to book our 1st cruise and I'm confused on the dining options.

-What is the differenct between early, late, and anytime dining?

-Are these options in the main dining room or somewhere else?

-Is the buffet open for every meal, every day?

-What are the dress requirements for main dining room and buffet dining?

I'm sure I'll have more questions when I read some replies.

Thanks for your help everyone, you are all lifesavers!

early dining is 6pm-6:30pm, late is 8pm-8:30pm, and I think that anytime is something like 6:00pm-9:00pm (may be a bit earlier to a bit later)

you will be assigned a certain time, but can request a certain time when booking

these are main dining room options

yes. generally there will be some sort of theme. there's also a chocolate buffet on the splendor on one of the last days

main dining room is cruise casual (no swimwear, no casual tank tops, basically don't wear anything that you would wear to the beach) and more formal for elegant nights (anything from pantsuits, cocktail dresses, evening wear for ladies to suits, nice pants and button down shirts with tie for men. there isn't a dress requirement for the buffet

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for your reply. A couple of other questions-

-What kind of food options are on the buffet?

-Does everyone just automatically choose a dining time in the MDR and then just sometimes choose the buffet on the spur of the moment?

-DH is not wild about the idea of dressing up while on vacation, so will people that are supposed to be at our table think we are fruitcakes if we never show up for our scheduled dining time?

Thanks again!

-Does everyone just automatically choose a dining time in the MDR and then just sometimes choose the buffet on the spur of the moment?

-DH is not wild about the idea of dressing up while on vacation, so will people that are supposed to be at our table think we are fruitcakes if we never show up for our scheduled dining time?

Thanks again!

if doing a 7 day cruise 5 nights your DH can wear khaki shorts .

Only need slacks and dress shirt on the 2 elegant nights.

Bill

Thanks again!

The food at the buffet is good, but you will do yourself a disservice if you miss the dining room experience.

However, you can decide where you want to eat your meals and do not need to worry what your tablemates may think.

All your husband needs to wear is "nice" shorts or long pants and a nice shirt. If he doesn't spill on himself, he can wear the same thing every night and take it off after dinner.

Thanks again!

There's always plenty of food at the buffet, and good variety. You'll get a complete meal. The bigger ships will have more options, especially at lunch on sea days. You certainly won't go hungry even if you only eat at the buffet. I rarely eat in the MDR for breakfast or lunch. Most people don't. However, if you do, you can dress casual. On port days, lunch is only served at the buffet (no MDR). The buffet starts very early for breakfast, and it makes a quick transition to lunch (usually around noon-3:00 or so). Sometimes, even between lunch and dinner, there will be a spot somewhere around the Lido deck that's serving things like burgers. And, pizza is available 24 hours a day. And, even if there's no "midnight buffet", they often have something available on the Lido deck around 11:00 or so.

Everyone on the ship has some type of dining assigned or picked. Some people never show up to the MDR. Some show up half the time. Some miss a day or two. Some decide at the last second to take it easy and do the buffet that night. However you do it, the other people shouldn't look down on you. Don't worry what they think. It's your vacation. However, I don't really like dressing up either, and I wasn't planning to go to the MDR at all on my first cruise. After trying it once on that cruise, I go every night now. I really enjoy the experience. And, like mentioned before, a polo shirt and jeans will be good enough for your DH on regular nights. On elegant nights, he can wear pants/Dockers and a button-up shirt. That would be enough, even though some would be in suits. I always change back into t-shirt and shorts immediately after dinner.

Early dining begins at 6 PM, late dining begins at 8:15 PM. There's often a bit of delay as the early dinners linger a bit.

Your Time Dining (any time dining...) is from 5:45 'til 9:30. Tables are reserved an a specific section of the dining room for Your Time dinners.

Those dining options are only available in the main dining rooms.

Yep... the buffet is available for all three meals each day. You also have the option of eating breakfast and lunch in the main dining room. One dining room, typically the aft, will be available for that purpose. The dining time will be posted in your Fun Times for each day.

Buffet dining is very casual. The main dining rooms have slightly more stringent requirements, especially on Elegant evenings. This is from the Carnival FAQs:

Dining Room Dress Requirements

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout the voyage where guests will have the opportunity to showcase their more elegant attire. Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below and pertain to children as well.

For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Seaview Bistro on the Lido Deck is open nightly and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

Dining Room - Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code

• <LI class=MsoNormal style="tab-stops: list .5in; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo3">Gentlemen: sport slacks; khakis; jeans (no cut-offs); dress shorts (long); collared sport shirts
  • Ladies: casual dresses; casual skirts; casual pants; blouses; summer dresses; Capri pants; dress shorts; jeans (no cut-offs)

Not permitted in the dining room: gym shorts; basketball shorts; beach flip-flops; bathing suit attire; cut-off jeans; sleeveless shirts for men; baseball hats.

Dining Room - Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code

• <LI class=MsoNormal style="tab-stops: list .5in; mso-list: l5 level1 lfo6">Gentlemen: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to bring suits and ties or tuxedos.
  • Ladies: cocktail dresses; pantsuits; elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to bring evening gowns.

Not permitted in the dining room: shorts; T-shirts; beach flip-flops; bathing suit attire; jeans; cut-off jeans; sleeveless shirts for men; sportswear; baseball hats.

Archived