Advice Needed: Driving from Ft. Myers to Ft. Lauderdale on Embarkation

AlaskaGirls

Hello, any Floridians out there,

Would you have any advice about whether or not it is advisable to plan on driving via I-75 from Ft. Myers to Ft. Lauderdale on the day of embarkation? Is this route notorious for traffic delays or tie-ups? Or, would you recommend that we travel to Ft. Lauderdale the night before and get a hotel room?

We are flying into to Florida a week early to visit my parents and want to maximize our time with them. However, we don't want to risk missing the ship due to road problems.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

AlaskaGirls

Jill

The only problem you might run into, and usually it is at night and only very seldom, is when there is a bad accident. If there were to be one, that side of the road could be closed for a period of time. This has happened, but I am talking about maybe 1 time every year or two. But that is like a .5% chance. So, if you were like me and had a 4:30 sail date, but liked to be aboard around noon or so, I would leave even then an extra hour( but remember, I am extra extra cautious) at around 9:00 and then just wait. That should be fine. Now, if you are even worse than I(grin), then go the night before to play it completely safe. But you should be fine leaving the day of the cruise. Now, remember, the above is the worst case scenerio. Have a great cruise!

It is approximately 140 miles between Ft. Myers and Ft. Lauderdale. Speed limit is 70 on the highway. You should have no problem getting to the ship on time. I-75 will turn into I-595 and will take you directly to the port. It is an easy drive across the everglades. Enjoy your vacation here.:)

It is an easy drive...... BUT... accidents and brush fires can close down the Alley. Then you are forced to take 41 across (ugh....I've done it... not nice)..... or you can take the northern route (read that long way across) via SR 80 to 27 to the I75 junction in Weston.

Me, I'd drive over the night before.

It's 156 miles from my house in the Iona section of Ft Myers to Port Everglades. The worst part of the trip.. is getting to I75!

I've driven Alligator Alley (I-75 between Naples and Ft. Lauderdale) many, many times. It's an easy drive and almost always there would be no reason to detour to another route (there is that option if some reason should close the alley). I noticed you are from Alaska. You probably don't get a chance to see many alligators or birds that hang out along the canal that parallels the alley. Lots of people take tours to be able to see the animals you will be able to see along this stretch of road. There are plenty of places along the alley to safely pull off the road to get a closer look and take some pics of the birds and alligators sunning themselves. We've lived in the Ft. Myers area for years (now we are a little further north) and have never had a problem driving over for a cruise the day we sail. Enjoy the scenery that the Everglades has to offer on your way over and have a great cruise!

Thanks, everyone for the quick responses!

We will be traveling this route on a Monday morning. Not sure if that makes a difference, but based on your advice, I doubt it will be too much.

Masterbaker - You're right! No alligators here! We do, however, have moose which tend to get hit on a daily basis (in winter, that is) and that tends to muck up traffic and is NOT a pretty sight. Usually, neither the car nor the moose make it. Sad.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice!

Jill

AlaskaGirls, Alligator Alley is fenced all the way to Miami to keep the animals off the road. Before that fence was installed, the alligators did find their way up to the road sometimes causing accidents that were usually tragic for both alligator and car. There have been special overpasses built on the road to allow the animals to pass from one side to the other without having to cross the road. The fence has special sensors that alert the highway patrol if they are broken by cars in an accident. Those sensors can tell the highway patrol the exact location of a break in the fence, hopefully saving lives of anyone that might be trapped in a car that has gone into the canal. It's pretty cool technology.

We've gone from Marco Island to Ft. Lauderdale. Have you considered catching the Cruise Connections bus? It's about $90 pp RT and it picks you up in Naples. That way you could leave your car at your parents (assuming you are going back there after the cruise?)and not have to pay to park at the port ($12/day). It's a very relaxing bus trip and they show a movie on the way. We loved it.

Thanks for the additional info, everyone!

Jerseygirl3 - great suggestion, however, we will not be returning to my parents after the cruise, but returning the rental car in Ft. Lauderdale on the day of embarkation and flying out the day we return to port. That definitely would have been a good way to go, had we known about it.

We're really looking forward to our trip - just 2 weeks to go!

Thanks!

Jill

Archived