Dress code for lunch at Cagney's

poly3503

It's so funny how different things bother different people.

I too find a man's hairy armpit, very, shall I say "unappetizing?

I don't judge the shoulders, neck, and head that is connected to that armpit, I just find the hairy pit "yukky". :)

And, I too am more grossed out by some people's table manners than what they are wearing.

Different strokes for different folks.

I have to agree, Snootie. If I have to choose between a man in t-shirt and ripped jean shorts with good table manners and a man in a tuxedo with bad manners, including chewing with his mouth open, I'll choose t-shirt man every time. ;) And, no, I do NOT want to see a man's hairy armpits either, which is why I appreciate the no tank top rule at most decent restaurants. On the other hand, no matter how unpleasant, I am not going to complain because someone's physical appearance is less than ideal. Geezle, they might start complaining about me! :eek:

I would call it a sit down restaurant on a cruise ship, where resort casual attire is appropriate for breakfast and lunch.

Dry swimsuits with a classy COVER up are perfectly acceptable in a vacation enviorment.

Most everyone wouldn't think twice about someone entering Cagneys for breakfast or lunch dressed casually. And if someone does turn their nose up at someone that is not dressed to their standards, well, that's their bad.

This is 2010, the notion of cruise "dressing to the nines" is long gone for most people. Being comfortable, relaxed, and dressing just as one pleases is all that matters......................in a word: FREESTYLE!

I disagree about Cagney's - most sit down restaurants that I know of don't have tables set with fine china and stemware. Also, we weren't talking about dressing casually, we were talking about swimsuits - two different subjects. I think resort casual is fine for Cagney's, but that doesn't include swimsuits.

And just out of curiosity, what does the fact that it is 2010 have to do with common courtesy in a nice restaurant? Did courtesy go away? I never said anything about "dressing to the nines". It is not always about "dressing as one pleases", but as our hosts have requested of us.

I disagree about Cagney's - most sit down restaurants that I know of don't have tables set with fine china and stemware. Also, we weren't talking about dressing casually, we were talking about swimsuits - two different subjects. I think resort casual is fine for Cagney's, but that doesn't include swimsuits.

And just out of curiosity, what does the fact that it is 2010 have to do with common courtesy in a nice restaurant? Did courtesy go away? I never said anything about "dressing to the nines". It is not always about "dressing as one pleases", but as our hosts have requested of us.

Well said Kate.

If I came in in my swimsuit with a nice cover-up, I defy anyone to tell the difference between what I am wearing and any definition I have ever seen of resort casual. My point is there are no absolutes and the idea that there are tends to lead to arguments on the boards. No swimsuits is too broad. It depends on other factors IMO. Snootie specifically said "classy" cover up so I am picturing something perfectly acceptable.

I respect your opinion, to each their own. We don't have to agree with what we think is proper attire. NCL requests resort casual attire, which can be interpreted many different ways. Swimsuits covered by a nice coverup seem appropriate to me, but may not seem appropriate to you. That's o.k.

What I was trying to convey about it being 2010 is the idea of what cruises are like now in 2010 verses the the way that those who have never been on a cruise think cruises are like (think Love Boat from the 80's, evening gowns, tux's etc.).

Whenever we dined in Cagney's, for breakfast, lunch or dinner, we made every effort to dress appropriately for the time of day.

The breakfast-lunch priviledge comes as a Suite perq. A Suite we have paid a lot of money for. I know that money doesnt buy class, but it should at least set a standard above the usual.

I actually just wanted to post about the couple that always sat near us during lunch at Cagney's. The gentleman was the hairest human on the planet. He was seriously part Wookie. I couldnt stomach the sight of him in a sleeveless shirt, and had to hide behind my husgand to keep him out of view. Unfortunately, I couldn't hide from his wife, who chewed loudly, with her mouth open.

Maybe it makes me snobby, to expect a certain level of refinement amongst our Suite Bretheren. Having said that. it is possible that we have done something untoward as well. Its a fine line, and subjective.

I agree with you about dressing appropriately and I too don't want to see men's hairy armpits. (BTW, if it was that distressing to you, you might have considered moving tables.)

But I could not disagree more with what I highlighted. Money should "set a standard above the usual"? Sure, money allows people to buy more expensive stuff and more of it, but IMO that is completely unrelated to setting a standard of anything, much less behavior. Do you really think that because you "paid a lot of money" for a suite that you're setting a standard above others? As you wrote yourself, money doesn't buy class and it sure as heck doesn't buy refinement. Your suite brethren? Do you consider yourselves somehow better than those who don't spend the money for a suite?

If I came in in my swimsuit with a nice cover-up, I defy anyone to tell the difference between what I am wearing and any definition I have ever seen of resort casual. My point is there are no absolutes and the idea that there are tends to lead to arguments on the boards. No swimsuits is too broad. It depends on other factors IMO. Snootie specifically said "classy" cover up so I am picturing something perfectly acceptable.

I think you're right. If I put on my swimsuit for activities later and I wear nice shorts with a nice shirt over it, how would anyone know unless they asked me to take off my clothes so they could see whether I was wearing a swimsuit or regular underwear? I've seen so many really pretty swim coverup dresses that completely cover a swimsuit and, in fact, could be worn as a regular sundress that I think a blanket "no swimsuits, regardless of how you cover up" is silly.

beachchick

You must remember that not all guests that are dining in Cagney's for breakfast or lunch are suite guests.

DH and I have never booked a suite. The closest that we have come is a mini suite. But, the concierge has extended the Cagney's invitation to us on several occasions.

If you have taken advantage of the Cagney's perk, and if you looked around the Cagney's dining room, you will see that suite guests, nor VIP's look any different than any other average NCL guest. Not in the way they dress, act, or enjoy their vacation.

You truly could not in a million years pick out which guests were staying in suites, and who was staying in an inside room.

People are people.

There are always going to be a subset of people, that book suites, that look down their collectives noses at "the other half". Some time ago there was a member here that equated suite upsells to advertising in "Better Homes and Trailerparks". So sad.

PE

There are always going to be a subset of people' date=' that book suites, that look down their collectives noses at "the other half". Some time ago there was a member here that equated suite upsells to advertising in "Better Homes and Trailerparks". So sad.

PE

[/color']

Or maybe some of us "Joe Sixpacks" like to bump our lifestyles up a notch or two temporarily for vacation. It makes a nice change of pace until you run into the boomers that still think they're being "rebels" by dressing like schlubs in a nice restaurant.

Or maybe some of us "Joe Sixpacks" like to bump our lifestyles up a notch or two temporarily for vacation. It makes a nice change of pace until you run into the boomers that still think they're being "rebels" by dressing like schlubs in a nice restaurant.

Thank you! I couldn't have said it better myself...

Funny about the term "Joe Sixpack" When I first heard it used I pictured some guy lounging on the couch watching the "fights":rolleyes: with a huge gut hanging over his underwear:eek: With a cooler of beer next to him.

Now, I am told that it actually means a fairly well built individual:D...go figure to me six pack meant beer guzzling and then I find out it means in great shape:confused:

Am I right or wrong..someone explain?

Funny about the term "Joe Sixpack" When I first heard it used I pictured some guy lounging on the couch watching the "fights":rolleyes: with a huge gut hanging over his underwear:eek: With a cooler of beer next to him.

Now, I am told that it actually means a fairly well built individual:D...go figure to me six pack meant beer guzzling and then I find out it means in great shape:confused:

The term "Joe Sixpack" is used to define the common person. Although some might use it as a pejorative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Q._Public

PE

Your first reaction was right. While a sixpack can refer great abs on a man, the term Joe Sixpack refers to the beer drinking average 'Joe.'

Interesting reactions to my post :)

In retrospect, I have come across as being very narrow-minded and quite elitist. That was not my intention. I suppose I still come from a culture that regarded dining out as a privilege, and as such, my expectation for *myself* is different. I think there is a difference between dining in the Garden Cafe and Cagney's. I think the mere fact that Cagney's has a level of exclusivity for breakfast and lunch typifies that distinction.

Perhaps I should’ve confined my comments about a fellow passenger to another thread. The issue I had with Mr. Wookie was one of appropriate dress. He was seriously covered from head to toe in a blanket of thick dark body hair. Even a short sleeved tshirt would’ve been easier to stomach than a wispy tank top. And well, chewing with your mouth open is just a pet peeve of mine, regardless if you’re eating foie or fries. This couple was routinely seated after us, it was more amusing than off-putting. My point still stands about appropriate dress.

I didn’t pay a lot of money for my suite. Most of it was a gift from my very generous boss, the rest of it was a chance upsell. I don’t think suite passengers should “set” a standard above. I think suite passengers have an expectation of a standard above, and rightly so, with the exponentially costly cabins. On the rare occasions when I have spent “suite money”, I do want to be treated differently. That’s what I’m paying for. I don’t think the suite brethren are better, not by a long shot. But the suite brethren have certainly paid for better.

So I’ll take the scoldings for my snobbery rant, but I still maintain though that someone should appreciate their surroundings and adjust accordingly.

Interesting reactions to my post :)

In retrospect, I have come across as being very narrow-minded and quite elitist. That was not my intention. I suppose I still come from a culture that regarded dining out as a privilege, and as such, my expectation for *myself* is different. I think there is a difference between dining in the Garden Cafe and Cagney's. I think the mere fact that Cagney's has a level of exclusivity for breakfast and lunch typifies that distinction.

Perhaps I should’ve confined my comments about a fellow passenger to another thread. The issue I had with Mr. Wookie was one of appropriate dress. He was seriously covered from head to toe in a blanket of thick dark body hair. Even a short sleeved tshirt would’ve been easier to stomach than a wispy tank top. And well, chewing with your mouth open is just a pet peeve of mine, regardless if you’re eating foie or fries. This couple was routinely seated after us, it was more amusing than off-putting. My point still stands about appropriate dress.

I didn’t pay a lot of money for my suite. Most of it was a gift from my very generous boss, the rest of it was a chance upsell. I don’t think suite passengers should “set” a standard above. I think suite passengers have an expectation of a standard above, and rightly so, with the exponentially costly cabins. On the rare occasions when I have spent “suite money”, I do want to be treated differently. That’s what I’m paying for. I don’t think the suite brethren are better, not by a long shot. But the suite brethren have certainly paid for better.

So I’ll take the scoldings for my snobbery rant, but I still maintain though that someone should appreciate their surroundings and adjust accordingly.

Tug, thanks for the clarification. After reading this, might I say that if anyone here still thinks you are snobby, that's their problem.:rolleyes: Well-expressed and sounds sensible to me. Sometimes things do come across (when typed, not in person) not the way you meant them. Good for you for noting that and coming back to re-express.

I agree with the comments on paying a lot doesn't "make classy." At this point in my life I find myself reminded again and again that indeed money does NOT buy class. Some people have been brought up with a deep respect for good manners, others may not have been but just intuit what they are and are naturals in both manners and grace, others just don't care or weren't brought up learning good manners. I've seen both among monied as well as among "6-pack Joe" folk. (I do like that phrase! Never heard it before.)

I meant that to describe the typical working class American (like me.)

When we're not in a courtyard suite, we've gone to Cagney's straight from lounging by the pool. I wear a long cover-up - DH wears his swim trunks that are knee length (longer than some men's shorts:eek:).

I'm always presentable whenever we eat at Cagney's (whether straight from the pool or not) and when in the courtyard, we order from Cagney's and eat wearing our swimsuits (with no cover-up).

I don't judge what others are wearing and could care less if someone chooses to judge mine - that's on them, not me. You'll see all manner of dress up/dress down. Be comfortable with what you're wearing - that's what's important!!

Flame away........................:D:D

To me the best post of this entire thread.

It's so funny how different things bother different people.

I too find a man's hairy armpit, very, shall I say "unappetizing?

I don't judge the shoulders, neck, and head that is connected to that armpit, I just find the hairy pit "yukky". :)

And, I too am more grossed out by some people's table manners than what they are wearing.

Different strokes for different folks.

You hit the nail on the head for me. I will hardly ever notice what someone else is wearing.. it just doesn't mean a thing to me. What bothers me is when someone is unclean (like smells) and has bad manners. I will never forget one time Doug "forced" me to eat in the buffet for lunch one day on the Star.. There was a lady sitting across the isle from me, right in my field of vision who literally ate with her mouth wide open and would talk.. and as she talked (loudly I might add) food would fall out of her mouth. This is no exaggeration. Literally I think it was the most grossed out I have ever been in a restaurant. I tried to ignor it as best I could as she was from another culture and I kept thinking maybe they have different "customs" when it comes to that, but I was grossed out to the max none the less.

To me the best post of this entire thread.

You hit the nail on the head for me. I will hardly ever notice what someone else is wearing.. it just doesn't mean a thing to me. What bothers me is when someone is unclean (like smells) and has bad manners. I will never forget one time Doug "forced" me to eat in the buffet for lunch one day on the Star.. There was a lady sitting across the isle from me, right in my field of vision who literally ate with her mouth wide open and would talk.. and as she talked (loudly I might add) food would fall out of her mouth. This is no exaggeration. Literally I think it was the most grossed out I have ever been in a restaurant. I tried to ignor it as best I could as she was from another culture and I kept thinking maybe they have different "customs" when it comes to that, but I was grossed out to the max none the less.

While I agree that a woman can put a nice dress over her swimsuit (if it is DRY), you will never convince me that a man in an uncovered swimsuit is proper attire for Cagney's. Nor does it meet the requirements that NCL has requested.

I think it's funny that people have no problem complaining about people's manners, how they look, how they talk, how much hair they have, etc. but can't understand when others have a problem with how inappropriately they are dressed.

While I agree that a woman can put a nice dress over her swimsuit (if it is DRY), you will never convince me that a man in an uncovered swimsuit is proper attire for Cagney's. Nor does it meet the requirements that NCL has requested.

I think it's funny that people have no problem complaining about people's manners, how they look, how they talk, how much hair they have, etc. but can't understand when others have a problem with how inappropriately they are dressed.

Firstly, most mens bathing suits look like cargo shorts any more, so how could you tell the difference? Now if someone was sitting in Cagney's with what could not be considered anything but a bathing suit I might agree with you. But, where are these supposed requirements that NCL has "requested"?

Secondly, I will agree with about men wearing tank tops to Cagney's. That is completely inappropriate.

PE

Firstly' date=' most mens bathing suits look like cargo shorts any more, so how could you tell the difference? Now if someone was sitting in Cagney's with what could not be considered anything but a bathing suit I might agree with you. But, where are these supposed requirements that NCL has "requested"?[/color']

Secondly, I will agree with about men wearing tank tops to Cagney's. That is completely inappropriate.

PE

It is very easy to tell the difference - bathing suits are not made of the same material as most cargo shorts. If they were, you would sink like a stone and they would never dry! And NCL's requirement is no bathing suits in Cagney's - only the buffet and the poolside barbecue. This is on their website and was in my documents.

Sorry, but I happen to sell swimsuits for a living.

Men's swim trunks are primarily made of cotton, just like cargo shorts. Maybe not as heavy weight, but cotton no less.

The speedo-o type are made of nylon, but I doubt that anyone will be wearing speed-o's to the dining room.

You can also find trunks in nylon, and poly, but most gentlemen prefer cotton.

Come on guys, what makes a difference? Who gives a flyin' flip what someone wears to the Cagneys, as long as they are not obscene?

I am interested to know if there is a correlation between the number of cruises that one has been on, and what one thinks is proper attire?

It seems as if those who have cruise 0-3 times have a higher expectation of what is acceptable attire.

I could be wrong, and I am sure that you all will set me straight if I am. :)

Sorry, but I happen to sell swimsuits for a living.

Men's swim trunks are primarily made of cotton, just like cargo shorts. Maybe not as heavy weight, but cotton no less.

The speedo-o type are made of nylon, but I doubt that anyone will be wearing speed-o's to the dining room.

You can also find trunks in nylon, and poly, but most gentlemen prefer cotton.

Come on guys, what makes a difference? Who gives a flyin' flip what someone wears to the Cagneys, as long as they are not obscene?

I am interested to know if there is a correlation between the number of cruises that one has been on, and what one thinks is proper attire?

It seems as if those who have cruise 0-3 times have a higher expectation of what is acceptable attire.

I could be wrong, and I am sure that you all will set me straight if I am. :)

Well, if you sell swimsuits you know that most have nylon or microfiber in them. Otherwise, they would never dry. And why is it such a big deal to you to wear them in a restaurant when NCL has requested that you don't? Is it a "neener, neener" moment? How are you going to now stop the Europeans who swim in speedos from coming into Cagney's? Is that ok too?

And your theory doesn't hold with me, anyway, as I have been on 5 cruises and believe in dressing as my hosts have asked of me. It's not like it's a hardship to play by the rules. I wouldn't go to work in shorts if my boss tells me not to, and I don't go to restaurants in swimsuits if NCL asks me not to. Apparently they give a "flyin flip."

Archived