Gluten Free Dining on the Glory

luv2cruz66

Thanks so much for this thread. I have my first gluten free cruise on the Glory in November. I really didn't want to bring on my own food. Because of your posts, I realize I don't have to, except for my crunchmaster crackers that I take everywhere just in case.

• 3 months later...

Just got back from 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Dream. Not very happy with the GF options on board. This is the third cruise I've taken since being diagnosed with Celiac and the worst for GF specific food.

The first day (as well as all lunches) I was very careful at the buffet. Roast Beef (minus sauce), Burgers (minus bun), Taco Salad (from Burrito bar.) That night at dinner I introduced myself to the Mait'r D and my condition. They were extremely nice and came by every night to take the next night's order. All the food I had at dinner was wonderful.

Now for the bad. They mentioned the had GF bread, GF pancakes, GF french toast, and GF pasta on board. I was ecstatic to try them all. The next morning I went the MDR and ordered the GF pancakes.

2l68Sc4PwNKB2OAgyb9NVP-8pN6bo3ylvV7cS467_50?feat=directlink

These did not look like pancakes (gf or non-gf) that I know of. They had a very rubberer consistance to them. Very inedible.

They brought me GF bread that evening at dinner. I understand that GF bread is treat for most people suffering from Celiac, but this bread was like foam rubber and had a very powdery consistency to it. Guess once you have Udi's bread you kind of get spoiled.

The next morning I decided to try the French toast since the Maitre D said every GF person they dealt with raved about it. I asked if it was made with the GF bread and they stated no. Unfortunately that was untrue.

fE0qc4jpzW472R8MZX4DV_-8pN6bo3ylvV7cS467_50?feat=directlink

Not a good pic but that was all I could eat. Looked nice but tasted like a mouth full of sand.

The Dream has a Pasta Bar upstairs in the buffet aread and the can do GF pasta. Being optimistic I decided to give that a try. I had to wait an extra 20 minuted for it and was let down big time. It was corn based (which I cannot stand) bow-ties and still crunchy. Tinkyada is the only thing in my pantry for a reason. The next time I went the pasta bar, I stopped at the Mongolian Wok area and grabbed a bowl of the rice noodles. the people at the pasta bar were extremely happy to add sauce and meat to those noodles for me. So there are alternatives.

Except for the GF specific food they offered, all the other food they made GF was amazing. I especially enjoined the Bar-b-q'd Cornish Game Hen, and of course Carnival's Molten Chocolate cake.

As a reference, here is what a real GF pancake is supposed to look like:

fE0qc4jpzW472R8MZX4DV_-8pN6bo3ylvV7cS467_50?feat=directlink

Let's try this again with pictures this time.

Just got back from 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Dream. Not very happy with the GF options on board. This is the third cruise I've taken since being diagnosed with Celiac and the worst for GF specific food.

The first day (as well as all lunches) I was very careful at the buffet. Roast Beef (minus sauce), Burgers (minus bun), Taco Salad (from Burrito bar.) That night at dinner I introduced myself to the Mait'r D and my condition. They were extremely nice and came by every night to take the next night's order. All the food I had at dinner was wonderful.

Now for the bad. They mentioned the had GF bread, GF pancakes, GF french toast, and GF pasta on board. I was ecstatic to try them all. The next morning I went the MDR and ordered the GF pancakes.

gf%20Pancakes.JPG

These did not look like pancakes (gf or non-gf) that I know of. They had a very rubberer consistance to them. Very inedible.

They brought me GF bread that evening at dinner. I understand that GF bread is a treat for most people suffering from Celiac, but this bread was like foam rubber and had a very powdery consistency to it. Guess once you have Udi's bread you kind of get spoiled.

The next morning I decided to try the French toast since the Maitre D said every GF person they dealt with raved about it. I asked if it was made with the GF bread and they stated no. Unfortunately that was untrue.

gf%20french%20toast.JPG

Not a good pic but that was all I could eat. Looked nice but tasted like a mouth full of sand.

The Dream has a Pasta Bar upstairs in the buffet aread and the can do GF pasta. Being optimistic I decided to give that a try. I had to wait an extra 20 minuted for it and was let down big time. It was corn based (which I cannot stand) bow-ties and still crunchy. Tinkyada is the only thing in my pantry for a reason. The next time I went the pasta bar, I stopped at the Mongolian Wok area and grabbed a bowl of the rice noodles. the people at the pasta bar were extremely happy to add sauce and meat to those noodles for me. So there are alternatives.

Except for the GF specific food they offered, all the other food they made GF was amazing. I especially enjoined the Bar-b-q'd Cornish Game Hen, and of course Carnival's Molten Chocolate cake.

gf%20bisquick%20pancakes.JPG

I was on the Pride in June and this was also my first cruise since being diagnosed with Celiac disease. I had cruised many times prior. They were very accomodating with offering me guidance on food choices. However, the bread they brought me was inedible. It tasted like wet sand, and was terrible. I also love Udi's, and wish they would try something like that. The chocolate melting cake was as good as the non GF, but I am not a big fan of chocolate. You can have the Creme brulee, which is delicious.

As long as you do not need bread, you can do okay. The pasta was ok, but not nearly as good as Tinkyada. I don't know if they would use your bread or not, if you bring your own. I did take my own GF ice cream cones, and that worked well. I also took my own GF pretzels for snacks. I am going on another cruise in December, and I am not going to tell them I am GF. I am just going to pick and choose my own foods.

• 6 months later...
Let's try this again with pictures this time.

gf%20Pancakes.JPG

They brought me GF bread that evening at dinner. I understand that GF bread is a treat for most people suffering from Celiac, but this bread was like foam rubber and had a very powdery consistency to it. Guess once you have Udi's bread you kind of get spoiled.

gf%20french%20toast.JPG

gf%20bisquick%20pancakes.JPG

Wow, I agree..that first set of pancakes looks like tortilla's more than it looks like pancakes! I too love the Bisquick gluten free mix. We cruise again this summer, I am anxious to see if there are improvements to the gluten free options in the past year. Although I was very happy with my options last summer on the Glory, it's always nice to have more!

Wow, I agree..that first set of pancakes looks like tortilla's more than it looks like pancakes! I too love the Bisquick gluten free mix. We cruise again this summer, I am anxious to see if there are improvements to the gluten free options in the past year. Although I was very happy with my options last summer on the Glory, it's always nice to have more!

OH the GF Bisquick is awful compared to Pamela's Mix. Our best GF experience was on the Glory. The hostess Natalyia was so knowledgeable and went out of her way. If she is still sailing whatever ship she is on will have the best GF. They made me GF pizza at lunch, GF muffins, special desserts nightly. It was a challenge because I also dairy free. I brought cans of coconut milk so they could use it as a substitute.

OH the GF Bisquick is awful compared to Pamela's Mix. Our best GF experience was on the Glory. The hostess Natalyia was so knowledgeable and went out of her way. If she is still sailing whatever ship she is on will have the best GF. They made me GF pizza at lunch, GF muffins, special desserts nightly. It was a challenge because I also dairy free. I brought cans of coconut milk so they could use it as a substitute.

I love Pamela's too! The pancakes taste like pecan sandies! I also love the Pamela's bread mix, I use it in my bread maker and the whole family loves it!

Archived