HAL cruise to Belize, Honduras and Costa Maya with 13 month old?

danilynn17

My husband and I are looking to take a cruise, along with my parents, next March when my daughter will be 13 months old. My parents have been looking at one in particular - HAL's Ryndam going to Belize City, Belize; Mahogany Bay, Honduras and Costa Maya, Mexico. I have been on several cruises (this would be my first time on HAL - I've been on RCL, NCL and Carnival), but never to these ports.

Called our pediatrician this morning to see if there were any problems with her being so young and going these places- they didn't have any objection (with the usual "don't drink the water" caution) and suggested that we check with the health department about anything to be aware of in these particular locales.

Has anyone had any experience taking a toddler to these ports?

Any comments about young kids on HAL?

I know HAL skews to an older demographic, and if it were my choice we'd probably go on RCL, but my parents prefer HAL. We'd never consider going at it with just us and the baby, but she is truly the apple of my parents' eye and they will love traveling with her.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

My husband and I are looking to take a cruise, along with my parents, next March when my daughter will be 13 months old. My parents have been looking at one in particular - HAL's Ryndam going to Belize City, Belize; Mahogany Bay, Honduras and Costa Maya, Mexico. I have been on several cruises (this would be my first time on HAL - I've been on RCL, NCL and Carnival), but never to these ports.

Called our pediatrician this morning to see if there were any problems with her being so young and going these places- they didn't have any objection (with the usual "don't drink the water" caution) and suggested that we check with the health department about anything to be aware of in these particular locales.

Has anyone had any experience taking a toddler to these ports?

Any comments about young kids on HAL?

I know HAL skews to an older demographic, and if it were my choice we'd probably go on RCL, but my parents prefer HAL. We'd never consider going at it with just us and the baby, but she is truly the apple of my parents' eye and they will love traveling with her.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

My son wasn't a toddler, but was just shy of 3 when we went - on the Carnival Valor. In Belize, we picked an excursion that allowed us the option of snorkeling from the shore. One took the order snorkeling while the other stayed with the younger. It was called Goff's Caye. We liked it very much.

In Costa Maya, we left him on board while we took the older to see the ruins at Chacchobeen in the morning. I think a 13 month old might be better able to take this - if he/she was still in a stroller - but I am glad that I didn't take my almost 3 year old. We came back around lunch, picked him up and took him into the port. They have a nice little beach, and a great pool with a swim up bar.

You will be in Roatan for Hondouras. I have heard nice things about the Mahagony Bay facitilty that was built. But my kids still rave about Gumbalimba park and the monkeys. Yours is too young to appreciate that, but wow it was fun. We went back the next year and went to Tababayna beach - one of the best that we have been to with great snorkeling just off shore.

Hope that helps.

Archived