Royal Caribbean Or Carnival

lilmsonry

Please help, you guys are the experienced cruisers....can't wait till I am!! Which would be the best cruise: 5 day on Ecstasy, calica/playa del carmen and cozumel, or on 7 day on Rhapsody of the sea, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Any info on the ports would also be appreciated. This is our 1st cruise, we are in low 40's with 2 kids, 11 and 10. Thanks ahead of time, can't wait to see what you say. I have to pick soon, please help!:)

I did a 5 day cruise once compared to my usual 7. The 5 was not nearly as good in the service area. Also we just got really 'settled' and it was time to leave.

Carnival tends to be a more active ship for the younger crowd. RCCL has great programs for the kids.

My first cruise, on Carnvial, was a 5 day and it went way too fast. I would agree with Byronmac about just getting 'settled' and then being time to go. Western Carib itinerary is great because of all the activities available-i.e. swimming with the stingrays in Grand Cayman or visiting the turtle farm, climbing Duns River Falls in Jamaica, enjoying a day at the beach in Cozumel, lots of opportunities to snorkel also. It seems like there's just about something for everyone!

Pumb, Kjanders, and Byron,

Thanks for the info! I was afraid also that 5 days would just get us in the swing of it. I am so very excited, even if we don't leave until September. I am kinda concerned about cruising in September. Would like opinions on that also please.:confused: Thank you so much!

One of the major differences between these cruises is the age of the ships. Rhapsody was introduced in 1997 and Ecstacy in 1991. The Carnival ship is 6 years older, and for cruise ships, that is quite a bit of age not to mention on-board features. We sailed on Carnival's Fascination and RCI's Splendour. There is no comparison. Splendour wins hands down. Expedia's web site describes Ecstacy as: Atmosphere-Floating Happy Hour, Best for-Singles, 20s-30s, couples, and party people. That might not be want you want for your kids. Our kids started cruising when they were 12 and 15 on RCI's Nordic Empress. Then they went on Fascination, and even they didn't like the party atmosphere on the ship. Go with Rhapsody. You won't be disappointed!! :D

Imaclay, thanks for your honest opinion. OK, hands down the vote is RCC. I just called and made my official deposit!!! Was supposed to go in April but medical emergency/hospitalization made in not possible so had to reschedule for September. It's official: 9/4/05 Rhapsody!! Thanks so much, Kelly;)

Archived