FLL - Airport to Store to Port Question

d34567

DH and I will be arriving in FLL around 11am the day of our cruise, and will need to stop by Publix and the wine store on our way to the ship since we will only have carryons. There will be no need to pick up luggage from the carousel, so we should be able to head straight for the taxi stand. Right now the most logical approach seems to be to take a taxi to the shopping plaza, have it wait, then go to the port. Does anyone know the waiting rates for the taxis in the area, or if there is a better way to do this?

Please don't criticize the timing of our arrival, as I would rather miss the cruise than my good friend's wedding which is in California the day before the cruise. Our other option is to cancel the cruise outright, which is not something we want to do. We had the cruise booked before we found out the date of the wedding.

Our shopping will be brief: sunblock, towels/inflatable rafts if they have them at Publix, case of wine/champagne pre-ordered for pickup at the wine store (cruising Princess, so this is allowed).

Looking at the maps, and thinking back to a conference I attended in Ft Lauderdale not too long ago I think we'll just taxi to the wine store then hoof it. It will be nice to stretch our legs after a red-eye and it will be my incentive to not buy too much wine, especially since it is only a 7 day cruise! The Princess dock is one of the first ones, nestled up to the Convention Center, so we won't need to navigate too many industrial area.

On another note, since this topic is getting views and not replies, does anyone know if ship-board on Ruby Princess you can buy tequila for your room? The premiums on vodka and rum don't seem too terrible... $17 + 15% for what should be a $7 bottle of Bacardi hurts, but it sure beats the bars...

Looking at the maps, and thinking back to a conference I attended in Ft Lauderdale not too long ago I think we'll just taxi to the wine store then hoof it. It will be nice to stretch our legs after a red-eye and it will be my incentive to not buy too much wine, especially since it is only a 7 day cruise! The Princess dock is one of the first ones, nestled up to the Convention Center, so we won't need to navigate too many industrial area.

On another note, since this topic is getting views and not replies, does anyone know if ship-board on Ruby Princess you can buy tequila for your room? The premiums on vodka and rum don't seem too terrible... $17 + 15% for what should be a $7 bottle of Bacardi hurts, but it sure beats the bars...

FYI....Havent sailed on Princess yet....but I believe the bottles are 375ml.

Thank you Veggie, I probably should have noted that in my comment. The Total Wine store offers the Bacardi Light 375ml for $6.99, so I'm using that as my comparison. I'm sure a good shopper could find it for less, but I figure it is a decent comparator.

Thank you Veggie, I probably should have noted that in my comment. The Total Wine store offers the Bacardi Light 375ml for $6.99, so I'm using that as my comparison. I'm sure a good shopper could find it for less, but I figure it is a decent comparator.

All in all its not too bad of a deal. On NCL Ive seen the prices for litres of booze.....ranging from $50ish and way up.

That would be one thing if it was good booze... Then again, if you are talking about $50 for 1L, that is cheaper per volume than the 375ml for $17. Either way, I know most of our drinks will be out and about, but it would be nice to have the option to make some for ourselves.

The Princess dock is one of the first ones, nestled up to the Convention Center, so we won't need to navigate too many industrial area.

don't take that as a given... true, Princess uses Pier 2 alot also others when there is more that one Princess ship in port. When we were on the Ruby last March, we were at Pier 29... if you find a website that says where it is planned to be, that can and will change ....

PortEverglades-map.jpg

Alot of construction at the port... many areas not walkable...I would not recommend trying to walk it to save a few bucks in cab fare.

Take a cab to 17th St...go to Total Wine on Cordova, one block below 17th... I think they will take your preorder...then do the Publix thing...the port entrance is very closeby. the waiting cost depends on how much you dilly-dally at the store.... but whatever you do, take the taxi...

Thanks BobT, I was trying to figure out the tradeoff in hassle between having the taxi wait and walking what is probably 1/2 to 1 mile. Looks like the taxi is the right call!

@Porrah: looks like Total Wine is the place to go, though I have heard comments that it is more expensive than other places. Most prices look good to me, so I'll be happy to order it ahead of time and have it boxed and ready for me to go!

Total Wine has the best price I've ever seen for Veuve Clicquet champagne, and pretty good prices on everything. Bear in mind that you cannot purchase anything alcoholic in town before noon on Sunday (you didn't give your travel date, so maybe it's a different day).

Archived