Antarctica 2012

CLEMM

I see that there is a cruise going in 2011 to Antarctica, but nothing in 2012 even though that timeframe is on the website already. Is Celebrity phasing out Antarctica? I am trying to decide on my next cruise and this 90+ weather is making me think COLD.

There was a thread a number of months ago about new environmental regulations that were going into effect that, for all intents and purposes, prevent the bigger ships from cruising in Antarctic waters. They have to have a fuel capacity below a certain threshold to minimize the effects of a spill, should the ship run into trouble. This will affect all the major cruise lines.

Oh, I am so glad that I had the presence of mind to go to Antarctica in 1999 and 2000. Furthermore, I am glad that I did it on the Marco Polo, which allowed for landing on the peninsula. They were truly extraordinary expeditions. Back then there was talk about limiting access to the continent.

If you're interested, you need to find a ship and get there soon. If you miss it, you WILL be sorry.

Cheryl....:p

I see that there is a cruise going in 2011 to Antarctica, but nothing in 2012 even though that timeframe is on the website already. Is Celebrity phasing out Antarctica? I am trying to decide on my next cruise and this 90+ weather is making me think COLD.

Antarctica is also on my wishlist for 2012....we had friends the sailed with Celebrity to S/A and Antarctica last year so had already heard about the changes for 2012.....Who knows Clemm we might get to sail togerther yet. Enjoy your cruise to The Holy Land....Almost finally paymet time for us

Debbie

Archived