Swimming/snorkling at Chankanaab for kids

sherrintxs

Is there a special suntan lotion you can buy for kids so they can get in the water at Chankanaab? I read that suntan oils can not be applyied before getting in the water, is there a special kind of suntan lotion or you just be very careful how long you or your kids stay in the water before you get burned?

TIA

If Chankanaab has that rule, they don't make it very well known. We were just there in the middle of January and this is the first I have heard of that. We did not see any signs anywhere stating this restriction.

We did see this restriction at Garrafon Park on Isle Mujeras by Cancun. At the park they sold a biodegradeable suntan lotion which you were supposed to use. You might want to see if you can find some if you are worried about this.

As a side note, we certainly did not see any suntan lotion "police" at either park. I guess I would be more worried about the health of the kid's skin.

Yes, you are supposed to wear a non-oil, bio-gradeable sunscreen at the park, but I'll bet most people don't. For a skin applied sunscreen, I like the cactus juice product. http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/ It also works as an insect repellant.

Something else to consider would be a sunscreen shirt that you wear in the water. That is what we have to use for my red-headed, fair skinned son who doesn't tan. He only gets freckles and burns. We got him a water shirt from http://www.sungrubbies.com/ChildrensClothes.htm It is better UV protection than any sunscreen, and it isn't as hard to put it on them.

A lightweight tee shirt does a lot to protect little (and big) guys. Also stay out of the sun after 11 AM and before 3:30 PM. Wear a hat. Do that and you won't need to slather on as much cream. Use a sports cream that sinks into your skin rather than a lotion that just sits there and then washes off.

Archived