Sailing on the GEM 9/11/10 Need Airport info

Mpphred

Sailing on the NCL Gem on Sept 11,2010. Coming in on train from Rome and leaving to Munich on the 18th by Air. My questions are:

- what is the best way to get to the Airport from the ship.

- Does the ship offer Transporation or are you on your own.

- How long does it take to disembark. I heard about freestyle but what would be resonable. My flight leaves at 12:30 PM and we were planning on getting off the ship at 10AM. Will i have enough time to make it to the Airport?

Here are some getting on questions.

- We will stay in a hotel on the canal near the ship so if we board early is it better to check your luggage or carry it on. We will be traveling with one 25inch suitcase and 1 backpack.

- How soon can you get your room?

- What would be a good time to get on board? As soon as avaible or 1.5 hours before ship leaves?

-Any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mpphred

@Mpphred -

I am confused. You mention Rome and Munich, but you don't say anything about Venice. You are on a 1-week Venice to Venice cruise, yes?

May I suggest that you start a new post, asking very specific questions.

You mention that you are "coming in on train from Rome", but you ask "what is the best way to get to the airport from the ship". Include the city and station (train, airport, dock, etc.). There are lots of folks who can and will answer your questions, once they know what it is you plan to do.

Your cruise documents should mention at what time you can check in. We usually try to get there a bit earlier. We don't mind waiting inside the terminal - if it is cool.

On arrival at the terminal you normally would hand your suitcases to a porter (tip). Those guys make sure your bags get onto the ship. Your hand luggage stays with you. Once you board the ship, they should offer you a glass of bubbly or juice and suggest that you either to the main restaurant or the buffet. After a bite to eat, maybe between 1 and 3 pm there will be an announcement that all cabins are now available. If you are lucky, your suitcases will be waiting for you in your cabin. Otherwise they'll arrive later.

The ship arrives in Venice at 7 am?. If you plan to walk off with *all* your luggage, you could be one of the first off the ship. In 2008 we arrived in Civitavecchia very early, walked off the ship (not NCL) at 7:35 a.m., contacted our pre-arranged limo driver by celly. Left the dock at 8:10 and arrived at Rome airport (FCO) at 9:50 am. Yep, we made the LH flight at 10:10 to Frankfurt. It was chaotic, but it can be done. It was on a Saturday with very light traffic, and our driver did not take any prisoners along the way. That Mercedes just flew.

I understand that there is train service from Munich airport into the city.

Archived