Let's talk Conquest!

zachnlucy

I have been away from these boards for way too long now! Last cruise was too long ago. And I haven't been on the Conquest since she was brand new. Tell me everything. My friend and I are booked on the 9/12/10 Western Caribbean in an 8N aft extended balcony, and this is her first cruise ever.

Couple of questions:

1. How's the food? I remember it as being great. And now I understand CCL has copied NCL and offers anytime dining as well as early and late. How does anytime work out? Long waits? Since you don't have the same server at every meal, does the service lack?

2. I hear the bedding is upgraded. Are the beds real comfy now?

3. Onboard entertainment. What's happening these days? Anybody been on there recently?

Thanks for listening and I'd appreciate any feedback you can offer.

I have been away from these boards for way too long now! Last cruise was too long ago. And I haven't been on the Conquest since she was brand new. Tell me everything. My friend and I are booked on the 9/12/10 Western Caribbean in an 8N aft extended balcony, and this is her first cruise ever.

Couple of questions:

1. How's the food? I remember it as being great. And now I understand CCL has copied NCL and offers anytime dining as well as early and late. How does anytime work out? Long waits? Since you don't have the same server at every meal, does the service lack?

2. I hear the bedding is upgraded. Are the beds real comfy now?

3. Onboard entertainment. What's happening these days? Anybody been on there recently?

Thanks for listening and I'd appreciate any feedback you can offer.

I can let you know right after the first of the month. From what I understand the shows have not changed in years. So the show you saw 2003 is probably still being done on the ship. There was a recent review of the Conquest that talked about the shows.

We were on the Conquest a few months ago, our first time to cruise. In a nutshell:

* the food was good, we especially liked the Mongolian Grill but the lines were too long, we also liked the Your Time Dining option for the MDR

* our OV room was fairly quiet, good sheets & comforter, comfortable bed, wonderful pillows

* the entertainment was the weak link. The thing is...after seeing such big acts as Keith Urban and Kenny Chesney in concert multiple times, the shows onboard seem kind of silly. But I expected that so no harm, no foul.

Have a fun time!

Well, like most things alot depends upon your perspective and your expectations.

It's been a couple of years since we sailed the Conquest, but all in all we've had few complaints. We thought the food overall was quite good. If you're used to 5 star restaurants you might be disappointed. If you live in West Texas and don't get lobster on a regular basis it ain't too shabby. Our last time on the Conquest we ate at the fancy steakhouse one night and were well pleased, esp. for the price. It's hard to find a meal that good on shore for $35. As for me, I LOVE fried oysters, and last time discovered the little place above the buffet area that had oysters and boullabaisse that that I REALLY loved. Could have lived on that for a week with NO PROBLEM. :D

As for the bedding, it was quite good. I'm a bit hot natured, so a thick down comforter is a bit much for me if the temp is much above freezing, but my wife is cold natured and loved it. Kinda depends on what you like.

As for the entertainment, again it gets back to your expectations. For me I've always found the shows to be pretty good. Maybe not what you'd expect for a $150 show in Vegas but all things considered not bad, well worth watching.

I think sometimes folks lose a bit of perspective on cruising. Your on a ship at sea forpetesake, not on Broadway or at a swanky $200 per meal restaurant. If you want to pay some major $$$$$ you can probably find that at sea. For the fairly reasonable price Carnival charges, I don't think you can complain too loudly (of course there are those who will!) ;)

JHC

Archived