Have you eaten dinner at the Lido?

I never seem to run out of questions lol. Now I have a new one. Have any of you been on Carnival Dream? How would you rate her Lido in general (for all meals)?

I always ate dinner in the MDR, but loved the Pasta bar, so that might be another option. Many of the items from MDR are available in the Lido, I'm told, but didn't try it. Had too much fun in MDR.

We always eat in the MDR but we go to the Lido deck before or after dinner to see what they are serving. On our last cruise this past Feb. on the Fantasy several items were being served that were on the MDR menu. Actually, everything looked delicious. :)

We do the same thing, after dinner in the MDR we walk through the Lido to see what they are having. Last cruise, went to the MDR the first night and I just felt sick......the let down from all the planning and excitement, I guess! I could not eat my sweet and sour shrimp, which I love. (though I used to like it better when they served it with fried rice).

The next night after dinner we went past the lido buffet and there was my shrimp!! So I got to have a small portion after all. Has anyone else ever noticed a one day lag time in menu from MDR to Lido??

I never seem to run out of questions lol. Now I have a new one. Have any of you been on Carnival Dream? How would you rate her Lido in general (for all meals)?

We normally make it to the dining room for lunch as often as possible on a cruise but on the Dream only made it there once. There were so many options to try on the Dream that we took advantage of those. The Pasta Station was an awesome lunch option and we loved it. I wish it was available during dinner hours as well and suspect many people would be using it for dinner.

The Mongolian Grill is my favorite getting on the ship meal. The lines are minimal as we get on early.

The Lanai has a lunchtime BBQ on sea days which sounds like an awesome addition......til we tried it. We expected something more traditional BBQ and were surprised to see quesadillas out there. The sliders that had been talked about were really oddly spiced burgers that didn't taste at all like beef. Overall it was something I'm glad we made the effort to try but the offerings made it easy to skip on subsequent days.

The Dream has a brunch type menu that is offered upon embarkation and all sea days in the dining room. It's unique to the Dream and does not change from day to day like most of the other ships menus do. The options are excellent.

The Dream has endless food options for all meals you will find that you will probably miss out on trying many of them. The Lido deck offers options for all meals that will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. The only time you will find a very limited amount of options is the dinner meal on the Lido. Most of the stations such as the grill, pasta, mongolian, tandoori, burrito will all be closed after lunch hours.

[quote name='bhanback']We do the same thing, after dinner in the MDR we walk through the Lido to see what they are having. Last cruise, went to the MDR the first night and I just felt sick......the let down from all the planning and excitement, I guess! I could not eat my sweet and sour shrimp, which I love. (though I used to like it better when they served it with fried rice).

The next night after dinner we went past the lido buffet and there was my shrimp!! So I got to have a small portion after all.[COLOR=Red][B] Has anyone else ever noticed a one day lag time in menu from MDR to Lido??[/B][/COLOR][/quote]

Leftovers again, Mom????:(:(:D:D

[quote name='bhanback']We do the same thing, after dinner in the MDR we walk through the Lido to see what they are having. Last cruise, went to the MDR the first night and I just felt sick......the let down from all the planning and excitement, I guess! I could not eat my sweet and sour shrimp, which I love. (though I used to like it better when they served it with fried rice).

The next night after dinner we went past the lido buffet and there was my shrimp!! So I got to have a small portion after all. Has anyone else ever noticed a one day lag time in menu from MDR to Lido??[/quote]

Seriously? Wow, in all the times I've snooped around the Lido after dinner, I saw the exact same foods, or desserts, rather (I didn't pay much attention to the other dishes hehehe), that were served that night in the MDR. That's pretty disappointing to hear...

[quote name='Rosefloater']

The only problem with eating up at the buffet by yourself is that your table might get cleaned while you are away getting more food. Happened to me.[/QUOTE]

I will let the waiters know I am not
finished,,,,,,,I'll be right back...........

[quote name='stingraycityslicker']Another question - I haven't really gone to the Lido grills on either of the Carnivals I've been on (Freedom and Liberty), but to they serve grilled chicken? Or just burgers, fries, and hotdogs?[/quote]

They also used to have really good minute steaks but they are gone.

Chickens fingers are excellent btw.

[quote name='soozles']OK, I have to ask, where is the warm chocolate melting cake? Who do you ask for it? Because obviously, it's not out in the regular dessert stand. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='tea4ular']It will be found near the hot food, not with the other desserts. If you don't see it, ask someone working behind the counter, and they almost always know where it is. Last time, it was next to a station with a guy that was freshly carving meat.[/QUOTE]

On the Splendor last year and on the Paradise (1 time), the WWMC was at the dessert bar in chafing pans.

[quote name='stingraycityslicker']Has anyone eaten dinner in the Lido restaurant as opposed to the main dining room? I'm going on Carnival Dream this August and I'm considering this as an occasional option. How does the Lido's evening food rate compared to the main dining room?[/QUOTE]
We eat dinner at the Lido buffet more than we do at the MDR. After many years of cruising, we don't like to dress up for dinner anymore. I have more formal cruise pictures than I have walls in my house. :-)

I am going on cruise #10 in September. I can safely say that the two cruises I went with my mother we ate in the dining room twice and my mom b-tched all through the MDR meal that I said we'd go to the buffet the rest of the cruise. The food is good, but it is severly limited in choice and I generally didn't find the selections to my liking when I could have had several courses that were to my liking. I did opt to eat in the Lido for my Freedom cruise because the maitre'd couldn't find me a table that I could have enjoyed myself at. I ate there the first night and the rest of the cruise I ate at Lido buffet and was fortunate to have Mongolian open for two of the five nights. It was ok, but not as good as the dining room.

The only reason I would eat at Lido buffet is if I ate a seriously too big and late lunch (3pm as int he case of Mazatlan) or had a really late tour and didn't have much time to get ready for dinner....

Lobster and the other elegant night I will NOT miss!!!!!

Just had dinner on the Lido this past Friday. Selection was much smaller than we had anticipated, but the food was fine. We thought the food in the MDR was not good, Lido was possibly better. All in all, not at all happy with the food on CCL.

[quote name='cruisendave']Just had dinner on the Lido this past Friday. Selection was much smaller than we had anticipated, but the food was fine. We thought the food in the MDR was not good, Lido was possibly better. All in all, not at all happy with the food on CCL.[/quote]

Which ship were you just on?

We just got back from our Miracle cruise and ate twice in the MDR. We found the food on Lido to be very good and they do serve a few of the same offerings from the MDR on Lido. One night I had the flatiron steak which was cooked perfectly and another night they had delish crabcakes. Plus, we found the food in the MDR to be sparce. With a teenage son and a food lovin hubby, it was nice to be able to get more of a favorite if you wanted. And to eat whenever you wanted was also a big plus for us.

On the conquest class ships and the Triumph we have found that we prefer to eat dinner in the Lido..more relaxed, food has been very good.
between the sandwich shop, the 3 or 4 buffet lines, the mexican side shop and whether or not the mongolian grill opens for dinner there is always more than enough good food to eat and you dont have to dress up ,it is not crowded and you can kick back ,relax, not feel rushed and watch the sun set...will be doing the conquest on 8/22 and that is the plan for this cruise as well:cool:

[quote name='stingraycityslicker']So I get it that the Lido has less of the MDR's menu...but do they also have a lot of things that aren't available in the MDR?[/quote]

Yes they have much that is not on the MDR menu. They usually have only a few items that are on the MDR menu. [mostly entrees]

I have always found many choices available in the Lido for dinner. And I do not include burgers, pizza, hot dogs, or chicken fingers in those choices. There are 50,000+ places on land to get that junk, why bother with it on a cruise?
But I have a wide ranging and adventurous palate so I find the buffet has many choices. If I was a roast beef and mashed potatoes person, I would think the buffet had little to offer.

[quote name='stingraycityslicker']Yes, I agree with you 100% on this. You need to get your money's worth!!! :)[/quote]

Thanks for the agreement. I look at it as good food vs. bad food, not "money's worth."

I prefer the MDR and DH prefers the Lido. He can't stand the times in the MDR, one is too early, one is too late. He also does NOT like dressing up for dinner. I DID choose the "anytime dining" option this time. However, I have a feeling we will be eating in the Lido:p. The Lido food is not bad, I really enjoy breakfast there, as well as the salad bar.... plus the fact that in the evenings they have warm chocolate melting cake.:D

We eat on the Lido--at a certain time during the trip--we get tired of eating--hard to believe but true :) They have selections from the MDR and plenty of desserts. Can just head down when we like and not worry about how dressed we are.

Archived