Welchman Hall Gully and Harrison Cave

janpat44

I was wondering whether anyone has gone to Welchman Hall Gully and if so, did you book a tour ahead of time or just take a taxi from the port terminal? What did you think of the Gully and did you see any of the Green Monkeys? Also, is it possible to do both the gully and Harrison Caves, and maybe even the Wildlife Reserve in the time the cruise ship is in port? They all seem to be pretty close to one another. We will be there in February on the NCL Dawn and will be docked from 10 am to 6 pm.

We did Welchman Hall Gully in Feb '09. We booked Cameron Reid as our driver and picked Welchman Hall Gully as one of our stops. We'd been to Barbados several times and not seen this attraction and it sounded interesting. Sadly, we did not see any of the green monkeys, although they do have a couple of feeding platforms there for them. Perhaps it was the time of day we were there or perhaps it was because there were a couple of tours there and it was too many people, I don't know. But, my husband and I still found the Gully very interesting and worthwhile. There are these huge plants and trees everywhere. Really marvelous. You'll receive a printed guide at the admission booth which will (somewhat) explain some of the plants and trees you are seeing. We probably spent about 1 1/2 hrs there walking about. Harrison's Caves is also very interesting and well done, if you like caves. I don't really care for them, but my husband wanted to see it, so we went and I have to admit, I found it worthwhile. It is probably Barbados' most popular attraction. They do a great job there. The Wildlife Reserve is also a very popular attraction. We liked it, but then we like zoos and wildlife parks.

Although the attractions seem to be close together on a map, Barbados' roads are very winding and it may take some time to get from one place to another. And, since your ship gets into port a bit later than most, you may have a wait to get into some attractions. So, I'd say pick the two you most want to see, and then if you have time you can still see the 3rd.

Have a great time. I love Barbados!

Archived