Anyone ever Fed-ex bags to port?

I posted this question on Cruise Air but was wondering if anyone ever used Fed-Ex to get their bags to the port when going on a cruise. I see by reading AARP magazine that this service is offered by Fed-ex. Also if you did use this service was the cost within reason?

I have heard a lot about this. I believe UPS is going to get in on it too. They started this based on the airline baggae fees. I am interested in seeing how this works out. We're going to Alaska next summer and would strongly consider this if it works successfully and is cheaper.

Have not done it but have check the cost. It's cheaper to just pay the airlines fees.

• Charges vary delivery service. Overnight, 2 day afternoon delivery, 2 day morning delivery or ground delivery which takes 7-10 days.
  • Ground is the cheapest and at that it's not all that cheap.
  • There's an initial charge for the service used, than per pound charge and than a charge based on the L x W x D of the luggage/package you're shipping. All these costs add up quickly
  • Not every port will accept pre-shipment of luggage . Therefore you have to make certain that the port will accept the delivery.

Thought about doing this also for our Alaska cruise maybe we could send the heavy stuff ground to the Hotel we are staying at pre-cruise - or as others have said - use space bags!

We shipped some of our luggage from NJ to LA and back to our home via UPS two years ago. We were only allowed so many checked bags on the train. So we shipped our largest and heaviest bag. We shipped our bag ground and it arrived at our hotel the same day we did. We shipped it a couple of days before we left. It was worth it not too have to struggle with the bags. It seemed to me to be a resonable rate for the size of the bag and the poundage. I don't recall the exact amount but we would do it again.

Once while we were in San Juan we looked at shipping a medium sized package to NJ and that was seriously expensive. They wanted 125$ or more for a box that weighed less than 10 pounds.

I don't think you can ship to the port and expect it to be held by a cruise line, but when I worked in a hotel (years ago) it was not unusual to have boxes delivered and held for guests.

In reality, it would probably cost more to ship a suitcase than it would be to pay the airline. I priced out a 50 lb. package typical of a suitcase size and the rate was almost $65 each way for the cheapest selection, 4 business days ground delivery. The airline fee would be less than half that round trip.

I can understand using this method in some instances.

Thought about doing this also for our Alaska cruise maybe we could send the heavy stuff ground to the Hotel we are staying at pre-cruise - or as others have said - use space bags!

;) But using spacebags aren't going to change the weight or size of the luggage used...

Would be a real "money maker", IMHO....open an storefront near a port, like a UPS store...people come to you to pick up their luggage before going to the ship, and/or to drop it off on their way back...could even extrapolate it, and charge a fee for pickup/drop off at the port...

;) But using spacebags aren't going to change the weight or size of the luggage used...

Would be a real "money maker", IMHO....open an storefront near a port, like a UPS store...people come to you to pick up their luggage before going to the ship, and/or to drop it off on their way back...could even extrapolate it, and charge a fee for pickup/drop off at the port...

This is a great idea:) Now what port?? You open the storefront and I'll work for you:D Who knows someday this may happen.

Everyone thanks for all your posts. I just was wondering about price etc. We will still be doing the airlines and paying the price. Boy they have us over the barrel but we like to travel.

There are companies who specialize in shipping bags to cruiseships! I have been looking into doing this for a cruise out of Venice in Sept. For me to ship a 50 lb medium/med lg size it is going to cost around $250....they assure me that they work with all the cruise lines and deliver the morning the ship sails unless we want them delivered to our hotel in Venice. Not having to drag bags thru Venice on arrival is a big deal soooooo this is looking like a real consideration (splurge). We will only have our carry ons with just the clothes we need for 2 1/2 days in Venice prior to boarding :)

ps We will ship our bags from Oregon

Archived