Help with Road to Hana itinerary please

ottawagarden

We are a family of 6 going to Ka'anapali Maui and staying at the Honua Kai for a week, then heading to Oahu to do the Pride of America cruise for the second week in late August.

We are planning to do the Road to Hana, and I was wondering if it would be better to do the trip on one of our first days in Maui when the time change has us getting up early, vs. doing it from the cruise ship where the port is right at the start of the drive? Is the day the cruise ship is in port far busier than other days on the Road to Hana?

We are a family of 6 going to Ka'anapali Maui and staying at the Honua Kai for a week, then heading to Oahu to do the Pride of America cruise for the second week in late August.

We are planning to do the Road to Hana, and I was wondering if it would be better to do the trip on one of our first days in Maui when the time change has us getting up early, vs. doing it from the cruise ship where the port is right at the start of the drive? Is the day the cruise ship is in port far busier than other days on the Road to Hana?

I'm assuming your renting and driving the 6 of you! We did this in 2008 and did not find it overly busy, most drivers and tour buses (which are all the small mini van/buses) are quite courteous, so it shouldn't be a stressful drive.

You may want to look at the port website below to see if any other ships are in port the same day(S) to help make your decision.

http://cruisett.com/ports.php?

scroll down to find Hawaii then go across and click on Maui. Note there is two ports to look at for Maui Kahului, Maui, and Lahaina, Maui,

Although it is a bit of an increased drive from kanapali, I would take the trip on one of your maui early days instead of waiting for a ship day. With 6 of you , I just feel that trip is less stressed on a non ship excursion day.

Do it on a Maui land day. You can get a nice early start pre-traffic (like get to Kahului at 7:30 or so), take your time the whole way - turn around if the weather stinks or you're "Hana'd Out," or drive the whole way around without ever having to do the clock-check fandango. Besides, you also have the option of going a day earlier or later if the weather is dreadful on your pre-planned day for the drive.

I agree do it on a Maui Land day and as suggested, try to do it on a day when no ships are in port.

I also agree that doing the sunrise drive to Haleakala might be best that first day. However, that is also probably best done on a non-cruise ship day.

Archived