Luggage Weight Limits

lateuk

Hello,

We are doing a cruise from Southampton so no flying needed, but i noticed on the website that ther are no luggage limits except that no individual suit case can be more than 23kg in weight. Never had this issue before with RCI and Princess, as we only have 3 suit cases and dont want to take a 4th i was wondering how strict they are on this? Has anyone had any issues if slightly over this weight limit?

Thanks

Now you mention it is was vaguely aware of this restriction and guess it is do with health and safety issues for the porters. Having said that my family and I do take an awful lot of luggage including a super large case and I have never thought to weigh any of them. This has never caused any problems.

Just wondered why you were concerned about taking an extra case? We drive to Southampton so once we arrive we handle our luggage very little. Porters collect the cases from the car and on disembarking loads of trolleys are available to cover the very short distance to the car park. Whilst in your cabin any cases which do not fit under the bed can be given to the Cabin Steward for storing.

Regards Julia

23kg is the legal maximum for baggage handlers now, either at the port or at an airport.

We have had to take stuff out at an airport as we were overweight at 25kg, but I don't know if they would make you do this at Southampton as they don't weigh them there as far as I know.

I would stick to 23 kg anyway out of courtesy to the crew.

Carol x

23kg is the legal maximum for baggage handlers now, either at the port or at an airport.

We have had to take stuff out at an airport as we were overweight at 25kg, but I don't know if they would make you do this at Southampton as they don't weigh them there as far as I know.

I would stick to 23 kg anyway out of courtesy to the crew.

Carol x

I agree about the courtesy for the crew, but find it amazing that if we fly upper class with virgin or Delta we can take 30kg. The same people have to carry these. We have never had a problem at Southampton with weight, but perhaps it is a new rule. You can take more cases of course.

Like to do self disembarkation and couldnt manage 4 :-(

What you could do is take 4 cases with you and then when you pack to disembark, put one case inside another and pack them heavier than 25kg as you will be handling them, not them! Just a suggestion. Happy cruising:)

I reckon our cases are always around 30kg - especially after adding a few items bought in Southampton.

When you step out your car at the terminal those porters just whisk away your bags - there is no time for weighing! It all happens so fast.

It's all you can do to try and hold on to the luggage you want to carry on board yourself!

Caryl

Re the 30kg baggage allowance on some airlines: I think you might find now that no single bag can weigh more than 23kg, so you would have to use more than one bag to accommodate your 30kg allowance. They might aggregate across your party, so for example two people travelling together could take 3 bags of 20kg between them.

We fly Emirates and it's definitely 30kg per person so we take 2 suitcases@ just under 30kg each plus 7kg hand luggage pp.

They will probably follow the trend in time though and make changes - though not before next week I hope as we're flying out to China with them.

Caryl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Re the 30kg baggage allowance on some airlines: I think you might find now that no single bag can weigh more than 23kg, so you would have to use more than one bag to accommodate your 30kg allowance. They might aggregate across your party, so for example two people travelling together could take 3 bags of 20kg between them.

We are flying to Barbados and sailing back to Southampton,you are saying we could take 3 suitcases not weighubf more than 23kg.

I thought we were only allowed 1 case per person +5kgs cabin luggage.

Would be great if can take 3 !!!

We are flying to Barbados and sailing back to Southampton,you are saying we could take 3 suitcases not weighubf more than 23kg.

I thought we were only allowed 1 case per person +5kgs cabin luggage.

Would be great if can take 3 !!!

The TOTAL weight of the THREE cases must not exceed 23kgs. It's not 3 cases @ 23kgs EACH :(

Mike

Hi Solada, no unfortunately the comment about a 30kgs per person/60kgs per couple weight limit (and how many cases to pack it in) was in response to Caspall's earlier post about their higher weight allowance when flying with Emirates.

If you have booked the whole cruise package with P&O you will only have 23kgs weight allowance each, which can be in more than one case per person as long as you don't try and check in more than 46kgs in total between you (assuming you are travelling as a couple).

You will of course also have your hand luggage allowance of 5kgs each.

Carol x

Tip for sail out - fly back ;

Take an extra lightweight bag(eg holdall) full of clothes/toiletrieschampagne(! with you on board.

At the end of the cruise then pack the empty bag inside one of your suitcases. Your toiletries will weigh less anyway and nobody will notice if your cases are 2 or 3 kilos over.

I never usually buy anything in the caribbean so won't have any extra weight to take home (unless on my body!!!)

I am looking out all my thinner-material clothes for packing - and dieting like mad so I can fit into them!

Caryl

We fly Emirates and it's definitely 30kg per person so we take 2 suitcases@ just under 30kg each plus 7kg hand luggage pp.

They will probably follow the trend in time though and make changes - though not before next week I hope as we're flying out to China with them.

Caryl

In fact Virgin's allowance for Upper Class is 3 bags not exceeding 32kgs each - plus hand luggage of up to 16kgs. We have this on our booking confirmation for Grenada in a few weeks and it's quite clearly shown on their web-site. So it does make a mockery of the 23kgs limit supposedly for H&S reasons.

Archived