Anyone competed in Master Mixologist Competition?

We are taking our first cruise on the Legend in September and saw a preview of the Capers. There is a master mixologist competition listed and wondering if anyone has participated and what you can win. We are traveling with another couple and have a "monthly pre-cruise" dinner at each other's homes till the cruise to gear up. We are concocting some luscious drink yummies and wanted to know some specifics about the competition. Thanks and can't wait to cruise :)

My son participated in the contest when we cruised in January. When you sign up, they give you a paper with ingredients listed on it. You have to pick them when you sign up and turn the paper back in. You also have to have a name for your drink. You are then notified a day before the competition if you are one of the four finalists. ( My son did make the finals... lol). You have to make the drink up on the lido deck for four judges. I'm sorry, but I don't remember the prizes. The winner has his drink as the ship specialty drink for the remainder of the cruise. Unfortunately, the winner in my son's competition was a

professional bartender.

Thanks for the quick reply. I would think that they would make sure that there are no professionals. Did he have his drink already thought out prior? We have a couple that we have been "brewing up" and trying to make them with common ingredients. Anyone else have any advice, experience or suggestions?

Thanks

JB:o

Thanks for the quick reply. I would think that they would make sure that there are no professionals. Did he have his drink already thought out prior? We have a couple that we have been "brewing up" and trying to make them with common ingredients. Anyone else have any advice, experience or suggestions?

Thanks

Carnival doesnt care if your are a bartender back home, its not that big if a deal. The winner just gets his drink listed and a ship on a stick or medal.

It appeared most were making drinks that they were pretty familiar with.

Carnival gives you a list of liqour to choose from. They pick the best 5 recipes. Contact you via room mail. You perform your drink live in font of the passengers and the winner is picked from a set of staff judges. Winning drink is served all week as a drink special.

I finished second and wife finshed 3rd in this event. No bartending experience needed.

Winner gets a drink of the day free for the whole cruise. Runner ups get 2-3 free drink cards.

Does anyone know what the mixers are? Fruit Punch? Hurricane Mix? Something that they already use on board?

What are the liquors on the list? I know champagne is not on the list. Anyone?

.....and any alcohol is available. On the rocks, frozen, etc., it's your choice.

I won last year on the Fanatsy. All entrants received 4 free drink coupons and the winner (me) received a Carnival drink recipe book AND a Fun Ship Freddy hat.

:D

wasiii

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like it would be fun and winning drinks tickets are great! My husband would love those and I will take the ship on a stick (love those goofy prizes). We can't wait to sail and get more excited every day. The only thing we are worried about now is the fact that we may not get the rest and relaxation we were looking for because there is soooo much to do :)

JB

My daughter won a few weeks ago on the Liberty. She won a Funship Freddy hat, the Carnival cocktail drink book and 4 free drink coupons, no ship on a stick. You are judged in 4 categories: the drink's name, how it looks, how it tastes and your personality while fixing the drink in front of everyone. They videotape the contest and show it over and over again in the staterooms. It becomes part of the video they sell at the end of the cruise.

Here's the list of what they gave her to choose from:

Total of TWO shots of liquor only...

Rum, tequila or vodka.

Melon liqueur, peach schnapps, blackberry brandy, apricot brandy, raspberry liqueur, creme de banana, creme de cacao, creme de menthe, butterscotch schnapps, blue curacao, and triple sec.

Also, cranberry, pineapple and orange juices, sweet and sour mix,

pina colada mix, strawberry daiquari mix, or banana daiquari mix. No soft drink mixers were allowed.

You had a choice of making a frozen blender drink, or an on-the-rocks drink.

One word of advice, if you really want to be in the contest, you HAVE to show up for the meeting the day before. If you don't you are disqualified. It happened to one guy in my daughter's group, so instead of 5 people, they only had 4. The meeting didn't take long at all. They just went over the rules, gave you the opportunity to work on your drink with the head bartender, and had you name the drink up front.

My daughter had a great time! Here's a couple of pics from the contest.

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

Edited by Jeafl

What size is the glass. Is it the hurricane shaped glass. I want to play with my shot glass before I go.

Darn homework LOL:D

They had a bunch of different glasses. I think the head bartender decided what kind of glass once he saw the drink you were making. My daughter's had a pina colada base so he put it in a hurricane glass.

Each time I've seen it, the contestant isn't the one making the drink, they are instructing a bartender how to make it.

Although its not on a PP's list, we once saw someone use beer in their mix as well. I think it was called a Redneck Margarita and won!:p I don't recall what else was in there and never tried it.

It looks like a lot of fun to participate!!

Each time I've seen it, the contestant isn't the one making the drink, they are instructing a bartender how to make it.

Although its not on a PP's list, we once saw someone use beer in their mix as well. I think it was called a Redneck Margarita and won!:p I don't recall what else was in there and never tried it.

It looks like a lot of fun to participate!!

I wonder if it varies from ship to ship. My daughter definitely mixed it herself. When she poured the frozen drink into the glass it came out of the blender in one big clump and splashed all over the glass and table. It was caught on video so we could taunt her with it over and over. :)

I am positive that beer wasn't one of the choices on the Liberty though.

Thanks

On the Fascination last month one of the final 4 WAS a bartender. He lost. They said his was horrible so I don't know how he even made the finals. It was a good laugh.

I won it on my last cruise. Frozen rum drinks seem the best choice- like the drinks of the day. I was also a runner up on another ship. I won a ship funnel hat, a free drink coupon, the drink I made and a CCl drink recipe pamplet. On another ship they included a ship on a stick for the 1st prize.

They had a bunch of different glasses. I think the head bartender decided what kind of glass once he saw the drink you were making. My daughter's had a pina colada base so he put it in a hurricane glass.

do you know can you use just two kinds of alcahol or can you use 4 different ones just 2 shots worth thanks:)

Edited by realtreebar

Are garnishes available? I have an idea for something, but it needs a few maraschino cherries to live up to its (hopefully) clever name. :)

The head bartender is the one who added the garnish to my daughter's creation, but they would probably let you do it if you tell them ahead of time.

do you know can you use just two kinds of alcahol or can you use 4 different ones just 2 shots worth thanks:)

You can use more than two as long as they don't total more than 2 shots. My daughter used rum, blue curacao and melon liqueuer in hers.

On the Fascination last month one of the final 4 WAS a bartender. He lost. They said his was horrible so I don't know how he even made the finals. It was a good laugh.

Interestingly, there was a bartender who competed with my daughter. He came in last too.

• 9 months later...