Question about steakhouse and being vegan

Katoo

My husband used to do that with A1. He would drown my beautifully seasoned steak with it before taking a bite. Finally I convinced him to "try" the steak first and now he adds nothing to it. He also used to be a salt adder before he even tasted the food. Now he only occasionally adds salt. Some people don't really taste food, they just shovel it in!

Best way to go..and you are helping him...my grandad had a big heart attack in the 40's in his 40's and the doctors in our little town always used him as an example of how one can change diet and prolong life...lived to 78..which was good for his situation.:)

Wow, there seems to be an undercurrent of resentment for the vegan choice here. Some of the posts seem a little passive aggressive, some are direct in their disdain. I wonder why that is?:confused:

I don't think it will be that big of a deal, OP. From others' descriptions of the menu, it sounds to me like you will be able to have a nice meal there and stay true to your dietary preferences.

The procedure they use to desalinize the water may not remove all the salt :confused:(possibly??) I don't know....(I'll have to ask someone I know who knows about this stuff....) Like I said, I drink bottled anyway. I'm not questioning the water. I don't drink it (especially on CCL ships) because I can 'taste' that sewage smell in the tap water on occasion so I can't even get the glass up to my face without wanting to hurl

(I know...tmi :o)

From the Perrier site:

Perrier contains only mineral salts and carbonation (CO2). It contains no sugar, caffeine or calories.

Wow, there seems to be an undercurrent of resentment for the vegan choice here. Some of the posts seem a little passive aggressive, some are direct in their disdain. I wonder why that is?:confused:

quote]

I think some people are just so programmed to eat meat at every meal, they can't possibly fathom not wanting it. And as we all know, we fear what we don't understand. Plus, vegans have gotten a bad rap from the few outspoken, nasty ones.

Sorry, my post didn't quote right. ??

Best way to go..and you are helping him...my grandad had a big heart attack in the 40's in his 40's and the doctors in our little town always used him as an example of how one can change diet and prolong life...lived to 78..which was good for his situation.:)

Thanks! I love cooking and it would kill me to see him drown everything in salt and more importantly his family has a history of heart problems. His Mom had her first heart attack in her 40's and had multiple heart attacks. I was so thankful hubby changed rather than going down that path. I even have him trained to eat vegetarian dishes sometimes now and we don't eat any meat at least once or twice a week. I could eat meat even less than that but I can't give it up completely. I've tried but I start craving it. And vegan is too limited for me but I have great respect for anyone who chooses that diet. I kind of have a live and let live attitude but I do feel the need to sometimes step in and defend the underdog. That gets me into conflict sometimes though. :eek:

quote]

I think some people are just so programmed to eat meat at every meal, they can't possibly fathom not wanting it. And as we all know, we fear what we don't understand. Plus, vegans have gotten a bad rap from the few outspoken, nasty ones.

Sorry, my post didn't quote right. ??

I have no problem with anyone choosing a vegan lifestyle, or any other lifestyle. When that person thinks their lifestyle choice has granted them EXTRA privileges, THEN I have a problem with whatever their lifestyle choice is.

If the OP wishes to go to the Steakhouse and order whatever vegan choices are on the menu. More power to her.

If a vegan wishes to go to a Steakhouse and requests specially prepared foods with no medical necessity, that is both rude and demanding of unearned special privileges.

I see it as EXACTLY the same as if a ship had a "Smoking Room" and a non-smoker like myself went in that room and demanded that smoking cease while I'm there. That would be both rude and wrong.

If I chose to go there, I have to go with the flow there.

Otherwise EVERYONE is special EVERYWHERE and that obviously doesn't work.

I have no problem with anyone choosing a vegan lifestyle, or any other lifestyle. When that person thinks their lifestyle choice has granted them EXTRA privileges, THEN I have a problem with whatever their lifestyle choice is.

If the OP wishes to go to the Steakhouse and order whatever vegan choices are on the menu. More power to her.

If a vegan wishes to go to a Steakhouse and requests specially prepared foods with no medical necessity, that is both rude and demanding of unearned special privileges.

Well, at least you've lowered it to "rude" down from "horribly rude". :D I respect your opinion but disagree. I see no difference between asking for a special vegan dish than asking for a special dessert that's not on the menu.

Well, at least you've lowered it to "rude" down from "horribly rude". :D I respect your opinion but disagree. I see no difference between asking for a special vegan dish than asking for a special dessert that's not on the menu.

You're right. There is no difference. To be fair, though,most cruisers would probably not ask for a special dessert that's not on the menu. Can you imagine the chaos in the kitchen if everyone did that?:)

From the Perrier site:

Perrier contains only mineral salts and carbonation (CO2). It contains no sugar, caffeine or calories.

I drink sparkling water at home...every day, all different brands including Perrier..(.OOps, just remembered anyway, that it's San Pellegrino that I drink at dinneer on the ship not Perrier!! ....)anyway, I drink sparkling water at home and do NOT swell up, but thanks for your concern ;).

also, funny story about desserts.

A bunch of us raved over the creme brule and the waiter actually offered it to us one night when it wasn't on the menu. he told us he put in a special request to the chef to make it for us.

We were thrilled....the people around us wondered how we got creme brule, but it was our waiter that did it (CCL Triumph, our last CCL cruise)

The fact was, I was going to skip dessert that night and when I told the waiter (prior to knowing about his surprise) that I was not having dessert, his face dropped and he said, "But you must!"

LOL

I ate the creme brule and walked around uncomfortably stuffed to the brim for the rest of the night.

Obviously the waiter didn't think it was putting the chef out.

Dan, the idea that you think this is 'extra priveledge' is where the issue lies.

On every cruise I have sailed, they specifically ask what special needs you have. I don't think THEY look at being vegan and requesting a meatless meal the same way you do. (Thank goodness) All she wants is NO meat and her other foods prepared a little differently. Anyone with dietary needs asks the same thing of the cruise line. You are judging her because of a lifestyle she is choosing. Having this meal cooked in the kitchen at th esteakhouse is no more trouble than doing it in the mdr kitchen. All the ingredients are there. AND she is PAYING money for it, as opposed to getting it for free in the other venue.

Rude is rude.

I'm good at it!!:p:D

You're right. There is no difference. To be fair' date=' though,most cruisers would probably[b'] not[/b] ask for a special dessert that's not on the menu. Can you imagine the chaos in the kitchen if everyone did that?:)

Exactly and most cruisers will not ask for a special vegan dish. Same thing.

I see it as EXACTLY the same as if a ship had a "Smoking Room" and a non-smoker like myself went in that room and demanded that smoking cease while I'm there. That would be both rude and wrong.

I couldn't agree with you more that your example would be rude and wrong. But,I don't see this as anything like your example. She's not asking that everyone in the restaurant eat vegan. She's simply asking if the chef will be able to prepare her a vegan meal. She's already said when she posted "go off the menu" in her first post, she meant just preparing what the chef already has without items that aren't eaten in a vegan diet. JMHO. It's the chef's opinion that will matter.

Thanks! I love cooking and it would kill me to see him drown everything in salt and more importantly his family has a history of heart problems. His Mom had her first heart attack in her 40's and had multiple heart attacks. I was so thankful hubby changed rather than going down that path. I even have him trained to eat vegetarian dishes sometimes now and we don't eat any meat at least once or twice a week. I could eat meat even less than that but I can't give it up completely. I've tried but I start craving it. And vegan is too limited for me but I have great respect for anyone who chooses that diet. I kind of have a live and let live attitude but I do feel the need to sometimes step in and defend the underdog. That gets me into conflict sometimes though. :eek:

Me too..personally..as it is a ship..I feel ok for polite ...what can we do here?? OP request and quirey (sp) respectful to me...

My comments came form all the back and forth..left field humor attempt..and mean no disrespect to any lifestyle...I respect all vegan/vegetarian..etc. I am of the belief that blood type and heritage may have something to do with it..I need to eat more meat/chicken/fish than I do and less carbs:(..but I did have killer pesto pasta (my basil pot..so excited) that could be modified to fit this I think pretty easily.

Good luck to all on the diets of life:D.

You know, it's not as bad as it looks. The negativity is coming from just a few of the same people repeating the same thing over and over again on each page of this thread.

I don't get the anger (and all of the repeats of the same stuff) because I wanted to make a request. What's it to them? Why do they care?

Bet I'm not the first to ask, nor will I be the last, but I can ask.

Repeating themselves ad nauseum doesn't change it, and why would I care if rude people think I'm rude?

Maybe because most people eating at a STEAK house would be eating some kind of meat.

LOL. Exactly my point. And most people would eat the dessert on the menu. But sometimes for a special occasion people make requests for a special dessert. I think a special vegan dish is the same thing but it seems as though the VEGAN thing upsets people more.

You know, it's not as bad as it looks. The negativity is coming from just a few of the same people repeating the same thing over and over again on each page of this thread.

I don't get the anger (and all of the repeats of the same stuff) because I wanted to make a request. What's it to them? Why do they care?

Bet I'm not the first to ask, nor will I be the last, but I can ask.

Repeating themselves ad nauseum doesn't change it, and why would I care if rude people think I'm rude?

Glad you're taking it in stride. Like you, I don't understand why some are feeling the need to be so repetitive and angry.

Have a wonderful time, and please come bacl and tell us how your celebration was. :D

Exactly and most cruisers will not ask for a special vegan dish. Same thing.

Not really the same thing. The reason that most cruisers (who would probably love to have specially-prepared special desserts made for them because they themselves are so special) don't order off the menu is out of consideration for the chef and kitchen staff who are working against very tight deadlines. To be diverted from that mission for any reason has the potential to disrupt the entire process.

I see nothing at all wrong with asking the chef which menu items might meet the OP's stringent requirements. I think what a lot of people are concerned about is that they don't think she should demand that the chef be required to cook separate food especially for her.

Perhaps there has been some misunderstanding of her concerns and intents?

LOL. Exactly my point. And most people would eat the dessert on the menu. But sometimes for a special occasion people make requests for a special dessert. I think a special vegan dish is the same thing but it seems as though the VEGAN thing upsets people more.

Again you'll never get the point.It's the principle. Don't go to a restaurant that you know serves food that you choose not to eat and then ask people to go out of their way to make you something special.

For example I HATE tomatoes. I can't stand them. If I go to a restaurant with friends I can either eat something without tomatoes or eat them and deal. I don't think it's ok to ask the chief to make something that isn't on the menu just for me and to go so far as to ask them to use pans and cookware that has no tomatoes on it.

Not really the same thing. The reason that most cruisers (who would probably love to have specially-prepared special desserts made for them because they themselves are so special) don't order off the menu is out of consideration for the chef and kitchen staff who are working against very tight deadlines. To be diverted from that mission for any reason has the potential to disrupt the entire process.

I see nothing at all wrong with asking the chef which menu items might meet the OP's stringent requirements. I think what a lot of people are concerned about is that they don't think she should demand that the chef be required to cook separate food especially for her.

Perhaps there has been some misunderstanding of her concerns and intents?

There hasn't been any demanding from the get go. She asked what people thought and whether anyone else had tried making similar requests. She's actually been very poised and gracious, considering all the crap she's getting from a few people. If it were me, I'm afraid my anger may have gotten the best of me by now. It's so funny, you start messing with people's meat and they get themselves all worked up in a tizzy. (Please everyone keep your mind out of the gutter with my last statement! :p). There aren't too many other issues that get people so worked up. At least she didn't ask if she should tip less in a steakhouse because she's a vegan. Can you imagine the horror that would ensue?!?! :eek:

Why is this any different from the special requests one makes to their cabin steward???????

Filling your ice bucket daily, emptying your frig, getting you extra towels, new pillows, a foam mattress topper...I have seen these things were requested by folks on these boards all the time. No one worries about the cabin stewards working extra and taking more time with individuals, yet the chef preparing something slightly different has people insane.

I don't get it....

IT's NOT a big deal to the chef. The guy is not a short order cook....Cooking for him is an art and is probably his passion, and whipping up a few meals with no meat is something that he won't even have to think twice about.

My husband has a friend who was in charge of the food for one of the Ritz Carlton regions and when we went on vacation one year for our anniversary he told us he would have a special treat for us. He made the arrangements and we just showed up. The Chef created an entire special menu for us. It happens. Probably more than anyone realizes.

Archived