Question about steakhouse and being vegan

Katoo

I am going to e-mail of something to someone to see if I can get you an answer on the Steakhouse thing. I made a suggestion earlier in the thread of a menu you might be able to put together using a dixh they used tio serve that was a mushroom strudel....Don't know if you saw it....

I will send the e-mail out right now.....;)

I think strudel is made with layers of butter, but I appreciate the thought.

Maybe in the dough but....I sent off a message....

Nope no butter....But eggs....Dern it....

Hang in there...

I agree, you are better off just going to the buffet and getting all the vegan you want. No need to make chefs/waiter/etc jump through hoops just because you don't eat meat. Now if you paid an extra price for your ticket because you are vegan, that's a different story. But it doesn't work that way.

First she would be paying $ 30 for her meal in the steak house.

Second sounds like that would be Carnival decision to make and not yours.

So, I will ask,

are you vegan for health reasons, medical reasons, or just because you want to be,

if it is not health or medical,

lighten up and have a steak, it is great and a special night.

good grief.

I am going to e-mail of something to someone to see if I can get you an answer on the Steakhouse thing. I made a suggestion earlier in the thread of a menu you might be able to put together using a dixh they used tio serve that was a mushroom strudel....Don't know if you saw it....

I will send the e-mail out right now.....;)

You're a good guy :)

Second sounds like that would be Carnival decision to make and not yours.

And that my friend, is all that needs saying.

OK, first off, I am not vegan, nor ma I even close to vegetarian, but I did email the steakhouse hostess on the Dream, and here was her reply:

Good evening,

I spoke with our Chef and he said that will be happy to prepare the food for you.

Can you please advise when you should cruise with us and did you already make the reservation.

Thank you

I would hope that if one will, any of our Steakhouse chefs would be willing to help out one of the passengers. We went as a special dinner celebrating our 10th anniversary in June, and had an excellent night.

I'm a carnivorish/omnivore. Were I to be invited to go to a VEGAN restaurant, I would either decline or I fully expect to eat VEGAN food. I would consider myself HORRIBLY RUDE to even ask for "special consideration" in a place that I CHOOSE to go to KNOWING their menu was not to my taste.

I may consider myself the most wonderful human bean on the planet but I am no more "SPECIAL" than any other person on this board, or anywhere.

Katoo... Jessemon emailed me last night about this situation.

I'll be glad to contact some of my friends at Carnival to see how this can be handled for you and your husband.

Please drop me a note at the email address in my signature.

Thanks...

Mach

Thanks Host Mach, I'll email you when I get home.

I just had a simple idea..what if you brought a vegan pasta (alot probably have eggs inside right?) they could whip up some kind of vegan pesto and then all the other ingredients normally on board could no doubt accommodate you to complete the meal (salad and fruit)..I bet they may even choose to carey vegan pasta from your lead if not already..

Just seems that more and more folks are eating for health and other reasons more simply..anyway so happy about my first garden basil produce and subsequent pesto pasta last night..thought of it..although mine was not vegan..but to die for none the less:D.

Have a fun cruise..admire your choice...sjn

This is why they have the spa menu;)

You crack me :Dup.;)

This from a woman who had to have a bumper sticker on the teenager commute car growing up.."Montana Beef is Best!!" Dear old dad did it.

I'm a carnivorish/omnivore. Were I to be invited to go to a VEGAN restaurant, I would either decline or I fully expect to eat VEGAN food. I would consider myself HORRIBLY RUDE to even ask for "special consideration" in a place that I CHOOSE to go to KNOWING their menu was not to my taste.

I may consider myself the most wonderful human bean on the planet but I am no more "SPECIAL" than any other person on this board, or anywhere.

I totally agree!

I've been following this thread with fascination at how people can take something so simple and turn it into a huge deal. I'm sure Katoo is not the first vegan to ever sail Carnival and want to dine in the steakhouse with those she's traveling with. In her first post, she asked about "going off the menu," and that may have triggered some responses, but I just can't believe that a chef would have an issue with cooking something in vegetable oil instead of butter (not what I'd call going off the menu).

Chefs deal with special requests every day. They're used to it. I'm sure this isn't going to break the chef's back or make him feel like he's jumping through hoops. It's just not that big a deal. I've cooked for two vegetarian daughters over the years--90% of the time I could tweak something I was already making. If I was making stir fry, I just used two different pans--one with meat for the rest of us and one without for the vegetarian. Not hard.

Katoo, enjoy your special meal with your DH. :)

Yeah but isn't Vegan very different from Vegetarian? I thought Vegans were much "stricter" (bad term I know....) than Vegetarians. I stopped eating all meat for a year last year (couldn't keep it up :o) and found many things to eat in Steakhouses. I agree with the others who suggest meeting with the Steakhouse Chef but I also don't think the staff would steer you wrong if he or she wasn't available.

I've been following this thread with fascination at how people can take something so simple and turn it into a huge deal. I'm sure Katoo is not the first vegan to ever sail Carnival and want to dine in the steakhouse with those she's traveling with. In her first post, she asked about "going off the menu," and that may have triggered some responses, but I just can't believe that a chef would have an issue with cooking something in vegetable oil instead of butter (not what I'd call going off the menu).

Chefs deal with special requests every day. They're used to it. I'm sure this isn't going to break the chef's back or make him feel like he's jumping through hoops. It's just not that big a deal. I've cooked for two vegetarian daughters over the years--90% of the time I could tweak something I was already making. If I was making stir fry, I just used two different pans--one with meat for the rest of us and one without for the vegetarian. Not hard.

Katoo, enjoy your special meal with your DH. :)

I read through the whole thing too.......and I agree. Her first post is what did it.......then she must have figured out how wrong that would be........so she decided to just stick with the menu and see if the chef would simply leave stuff off her items....nothing wrong with that.....glad she changed her mind:)

If a person needs a special diet for medical reasons, that is one thing. Their medical problem is not their choice.

But when a person freely chooses a radical lifestyle like Vegan. They have no business asking non-vegans to make special arrangements for them. They want to go to the Steakhouse, fine go and enjoy, ORDER off the menu same as everybody else, OR don't go. Same as all the rest of us would have to do in a vegan restaurant.

If a person needs a special diet for medical reasons, that is one thing. Their medical problem is not their choice.

But when a person freely chooses a radical lifestyle like Vegan. They have no business asking non-vegans to make special arrangements for them. They want to go to the Steakhouse, fine go and enjoy, ORDER off the menu same as everybody else, OR don't go. Same as all the rest of us would have to do in a vegan restaurant.

Just so you're aware...even though being vegan is definitely a choice, once you have eaten vegan long enough, medically, you can't just go eat meat.

I once went off red meat for two years...just to see if it would improve my health (which it did NOT by the way). One day (on the 4th of July to be exact) I said, 'screw it I want a burger!'

:eek:

Holy *moly*

No good..no good.

I was sick for two solid weeks.

It seems now when I cruise I swell up really bad. It only happens on cruises. I took an 8 day land vacation to Mexico...same heat, same amount of alcohol consumed and didn't swell at all. This leads me to believe that the food on the ship is what makes me swell up ....SO I have requested low sodium for both my upcoming cruises.

It is my choice. The swelling poses no health risk but I am going to ask for special treatment because I choose to not look like Violet from the Willy Wonka movie. This is no less a nuisance than what the OP is asking.

Dan, it seriously doesn't matter what you, or I or anyone else thinks about this. It is the decision of the chef on the ship. It is no less a nuisance to eliminate butter from a dish than it is to eliminate salt or the MSG or whatever the heck it is they use. The OP can eat all the side dishes, have them prepared vegan and just have no meat on the plate. It is not a big deal.

Anyone who seriously cooks knows this isn't a big deal.

(as a side note...what I find offensive is a person going to the steakhouse and ordering their meat well done :eek:

talk about awful! :p and I would BET a cruise, that any chef would find THAT a disgrace ;) )

Once again I totally agree!

as a side note...what I find offensive is a person going to the steakhouse and ordering their meat well done :eek:

talk about awful! :p and I would BET a cruise, that any chef would find THAT a disgrace ;) )

I second that!

Seems VEGAN is the hot button issue. I've never seen such an uproar over someone asking for a special item being served that was off the menu for a special occasion like a special dessert. I can't understand the difference. If the ingredients are in the kitchen, why such a fuss over assembling them in a different way?

Archived