Horseback riding in Grand Turk -- feeling cheap!

L2ConD

We are booked on our first-ever Carnival cruise August 1st out of Baltimore. I signed up for the horseback riding excursion in Grand Turk for the three of us -- $300.

After reading a bit about the ride, I'm starting to think it's hugely expensive for the relatively short time you're on the horses in the water.

I'm thinking about cancelling the excursion -- my kids are lukewarm on the idea of riding the horses, anyway, and the only slot available for us was the 7:30AM one.

I dunno, maybe I'm just feeling grumpy and cheap. :mad:

Does anyone have any experience with the excursion, or maybe someone can talk some sense into me? ;)

TIA!

Nancy

Edited by L2ConD

We are booked on our first-ever Carnival cruise August 1st out of Baltimore. I signed up for the horseback riding excursion in Grand Turk for the three of us -- $300.

After reading a bit about the ride, I'm starting to think it's hugely expensive for the relatively short time you're on the horses in the water.

I'm thinking about cancelling the excursion -- my kids are lukewarm on the idea of riding the horses, anyway, and the only slot available for us was the 7:30AM one.

Does anyone have any experience with the excursion, or maybe someone can talk some sense into me? ;)

TIA!

Nancy

We went on our first cruise last August and going on our 2nd this August. I am noticing a BIG difference in the shore excursion prices this year. If they have not been on a horse before I would take them near your home I'm sure it's much cheaper. Especially if they are not excited about doing it. Have you thought of booking tours on your own? There is a lot of information and advice on these boards.

TIA!

Nancy

You might get more answers if you post this on the Grand Turk forum since Grand Turk is not part of the Bahamas.....It is part of the Turks Caicos islands....;)

By the way...I love Grand Turk. I though have never done any horseback riding there....

TIA!

Nancy

Hi if your kids are luke warm to horse riding try the stingray encounter we had a great time doing this, just a point 07.30 is a good time to hores ride so much more comfortable for the horses, something I keep promissing myself I'll do is ride in the sea. Have a great trip

My son & his GF just came off the Carnival Miracle yesterday & did the horseback riding in Grand Turk. They really enjoyed it & after seeing their video I want to do it next time. The ride itself wasn't a "knock your socks off" thing but they said going in the water made it really fun & different.

How old are your children? They said there was a young girl on the horse - looked in the video to be around 8 yrs. old - and they said she was scared in the water. The horses go in pretty deep. I had thought they'd only walk on the shore. The little girl did hold her own thru it all & the guides make everyone put a flotation device around their waist before the water part of the ride. I hear you though with the $300. ride...especially for kids feeling luke warm about it! There is no way my kids would go on any 7:30 a.m. tour, though my husband & I are really early a.m. people

Are you stopping at Grand Cayman on this cruise? If so, as someone else suggested try the swim with the stingrays. We've done that a number of times with Captain Marvin. I think we paid in the $30. or so pp range & that is a real experience!

My son & his GF just came off the Carnival Miracle yesterday & did the horseback riding in Grand Turk. They really enjoyed it & after seeing their video I want to do it next time. The ride itself wasn't a "knock your socks off" thing but they said going in the water made it really fun & different.

How old are your children? They said there was a young girl on the horse - looked in the video to be around 8 yrs. old - and they said she was scared in the water. The horses go in pretty deep. I had thought they'd only walk on the shore. The little girl did hold her own thru it all & the guides make everyone put a flotation device around their waist before the water part of the ride. I hear you though with the $300. ride...especially for kids feeling luke warm about it! There is no way my kids would go on any 7:30 a.m. tour, though my husband & I are really early a.m. people

Are you stopping at Grand Cayman on this cruise? If so, as someone else suggested try the swim with the stingrays. We've done that a number of times with Captain Marvin. I think we paid in the $30. or so pp range & that is a real experience!

Hi there we did the stingrays on Grand Turk fabulous trip, took around 3 hours after we wandered off to the beach

• 10 months later...

Where did they book the ride? From the cruise ship or on the Island? Would you have a # that I could call? Thank-you

Hi there we did the stingrays on Grand Turk fabulous trip, took around 3 hours after we wandered off to the beach

Did anyone do the horseback riding for less than 80.00 per person? Thank-you

• 3 weeks later...

Check out Sunset Rides and Tours in Grand Turk. $65/adult, $50 per child for a fabulous ride, Just got back and it was one of the highlights of our trip. Very friendly local business. Still had plenty of time to shop and swim, too.

Menelik Astwood

Owner / Manager

Sunset Rides & Tours

Grand Turk

Turks & Caicos Islands

Tel: (649) 242 3005

www.sunset-rides-and-tours.com

www.sunsetridesandtours.com

We are paying $50.00 per person for riding in Antiqua. My daughter (experienced English rider) is permitted to ride the horse bareback for a swim for $20 extra! I feel this is a much more reasonable price. I have ALWAYS booked horseback riding on my own. Good Luck!

You may want to move this thread to the Grand Turk board. I don't know how to do it, but I think it can be done.

• 5 years later...