Embarkation in Venice

Ov3rride

Another question

Regarding embarkation in Venice, does the MSC Magnifica use the Marittima pier?

We are arranging our own transfers and wouldnt want to book them to the San Basilio pier if it will be the wrong one.

Thanks

I have now found the answer, and for any future travellers it is the Marittima pier/terminal.

Was nearly missold a drinks package which wasnt half bad at £13.50pppn for soft drinks, bottles of wine, draught beer and water..but found out online its only available in the restaurant or self service buffet at dinner and lunch. Thought it was too good to be true. Has anyone found any ways around it at all?

I have now found the answer, and for any future travellers it is the Marittima pier/terminal.

Was nearly missold a drinks package which wasnt half bad at £13.50pppn for soft drinks, bottles of wine, draught beer and water..but found out online its only available in the restaurant or self service buffet at dinner and lunch. Thought it was too good to be true. Has anyone found any ways around it at all?

Yes that is why I didn't go for that package as I'm a fairly moderate drinker but also like to have a drink before or after dinner. I don't drink enough for the All inclusive at £33.50 per day either, so I just buy the onborad packages from any bar. I usually get a water, cocktail and non alcholic one. they also do small or large beers, ice cream and soft drinks. basically you buy a book of vouchers. each voucher entitles you to that particular drink. You can use them anywhere at anytime. You can share a booklet too. As long as you know you will use all of them, you save some money by buying them.

And again AmoMondo, your answers are much appreciated. This 15% service charge added to every drink will make things expensive though. Big ouch.

Indeed it does and the rotten pound - euro rate doesn't help either! Oh for the days of 1.45 - will we ever see those again???

Not for a good fair few years i reckon, but thats still being optimistic. Do you know if tea/coffee and juice is free like with breakfasts and lunch (except juice) etc by the buffet? From what ive gathered from other posters on here there is no water available but does this change for mealtimes?

Not for a good fair few years i reckon, but thats still being optimistic. Do you know if tea/coffee and juice is free like with breakfasts and lunch (except juice) etc by the buffet? From what ive gathered from other posters on here there is no water available but does this change for mealtimes?

On the Melody last week, I only ate once in the buffet for lunch and once for breakfast. there was definitelt tea and coffe at breakfast. I didn't notice whether the machine was working at lunch as it was so stiffling hot, I just wanted water. However there was a machine with chilled water at lunch in the buffet.

We are also sailing on 1-15-2011 on the Magnifica. We are flying in one day early and out one day later than the end date. We are looking for a reasonable hotel that we could get maybe a shuttle from airport to pier and pier to hotel. We also wonder what the weather will be like on this cruise and in all the ports. We want to book some shore excursions but nothing is available on the MSC Web site. Can you help?

hi bcbcept

It's hard to know what proce range people mean when they say reasonable but generally speaking Mestre and vicinity is going to be cheaper than anywhere in the lagoon itself. january is not peak season, so you may be able to get a good rate. For my trip at end of October, I booked the NH Laguna Palace in Mestre (through BA - £87 for one night). It provides shuttle services to/from airport and in to venice (at extra cost)

Does this hotel have a shuttle from the airport? Then how far is it to the ship from the hotel? Do you take a taxi or do you walk. A little hard for my wife as she is handicapped. Thanks for all your help.

From another poster on a different thread there is an elevated monorail type thing from Pizzale Roma direct to the cruise terminal/area. 1 Euro PP.

We have 3 elderly in our group (70+) 2 of which have walking difficulties but thats the option we are going for. Its only a short walk from the hotel to the monorail type thing by my estimations. Also there is a waterbus i believe.

As far as im aware as its only a smallish hotel they dont do transfers, but we have arranged our own anyway.

Does this hotel have a shuttle from the airport? Then how far is it to the ship from the hotel? Do you take a taxi or do you walk. A little hard for my wife as she is handicapped. Thanks for all your help.

Venice is really not very disable friendly - lots of steps all over the place and uneven cobbles. WaterBuses are not always that easy either. Some have very good ramps that you can go straight on and off but not all. Some have narrow slanting ramps (bit like walking a wide plank), some have steps down when you get it. At busy times it is often standing room only.

I'm really not trying to be negative, just warn you of obstacles you may face. I have mobility issue (severe visual impairment which can also make my balance a bit ropey at times) and I'm going for the easy option of Mestre and taxi right to the port. I was in venice for 3 days last year with my niece and whilst I manged with a bit of help from her going all over the place, doing it with luggage is another matter entirely.

If you do go with Ov3rrides recommendation, it may be worth contacting the hotle first just to check the practicalities of walking to the monorail with presumamblya wheelchair(?) and luggage. You may also want to go to the Disabled forum on these boards as your questions really aren't MSC specific and you may be able to get really good advice from other people who have sailed from Venice and have a disability to contend with too.

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking for some people who are sailing on the magnifica 1/15/2011 to join us on a private tour in Egypt and Israel. Please let us know is interested. I will give you the web site for the tour companies.:)

Archived