Ship Time vs. Port Time in Halifax & Saint John

We will be renting a car in both Halifax & Saint John the last week of September. Does anybody know if the ship time will be the same as the port time?

NCL shows following port times for the NCL Dawn:

Halifax 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Ship Time

Saint John 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Ship Time

We will be renting a car in both Halifax & Saint John the last week of September. Does anybody know if the ship time will be the same as the port time?

NCL shows following port times for the NCL Dawn:

Halifax 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Ship Time

Saint John 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Ship Time

Ship time matches local time as Dawn is registered as being in port 9-5 locally as per port authority.

Yes, but if you are on ship time, it will not be our local time which is Atlantic time, one hour ahead. You cannot be on ship time from 8 - 5 and yet be in port local time from 8-5. I don't blame you for being confused. I did read somewhere that tour operators are used to this, but if I was arranging a private tour or taxi or car, I would tell them about this issue.

On our Mediterranean cruise last year we were told when to change our watches and we stuck with local time which sure made things easy.

Yes, but if you are on ship time, it will not be our local time which is Atlantic time, one hour ahead. You cannot be on ship time from 8 - 5 and yet be in port local time from 8-5. I don't blame you for being confused. I did read somewhere that tour operators are used to this, but if I was arranging a private tour or taxi or car, I would tell them about this issue.

On our Mediterranean cruise last year we were told when to change our watches and we stuck with local time which sure made things easy.

Ok, Now I am really confused. Do the port authorities calendars list local time for the port or the ships time? I checked the port authority websites and they show the same times as NCL shows:

NCL shows our port times as Halifax 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM

Cruisehalifax.ca shows port times as 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM

NCL shows our port times as Saint John 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM

Sjport.com shows port times as Saint John 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM

We want to pickup the rental cars about 30 minutes after arrival & return it no later than an hour before departure. I would hate to show up at the rental car place at 8:30 ship time to discover it is 9:30 local time and they rented the car to someone else considering us a no-show.

So should we reserve the rental cars for:

8:30 AM – 4:00 PM or 9:30 AM – 5:00 PM (Halifax) and

9:30 AM – 4:00 PM or 10:30 AM – 5:00 PM (Saint John)

Thanks for your help.

Archived