Do they let (non-service) dogs onboard?

If Carnival starts allowing non-service animals onboard I will stop cruising with them.

I was attacked by one a few years ago so I jump anytime I see a medium to large sized dog. Not to mention my eyes sometimes swell up if I am either near a dog or a place where it is clear a dog has shed.

No offense but when you react like that around a dog it makes them want to attck.

Technically, the Q&A information pasted is from a link from the ADA website that opens the Q&A from the U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, Disability Rights Section. Dated July, 1996. Last updated January 14, 2008.

The shortcut is http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm .

Obviously I shortened for brevity as I didn't know we had to be totally and technically correct in quoting the source. Moral of the story is the same.

While it is from the DOJ, the difference is it is not written in the law. It is a series of statements from the DOJ. The difference between that and the ADA is how well they will hold up in court. While the DOJ's statements will likely hold up in court pretty well (and some statements were made because of court cases, such as the three questions that businesses can legally ask*), they are not actually law, so could be found to not hold up, whereas the laws would definitely hold. The difference is important to know.

(*The questions are: Are you disabled? Is this your service dog required because of your disability? What tasks has your dog been trained to do which mitigate your disability?)

We have been involved in dog training with our dogs for many years and also have close friends who are trainers. I have seen some pretty amazing transformations with some of these dogs.......only to be wasted once turned back to their owners:( We just lost our 11 year old golden this past May and he was still being trained up until he passed away;) People would comment on how well behaved he was and attributed it to his breed:rolleyes: Some people think some dogs just come that way:p They don't understand the work and the time that goes into it......

What breed do you have? Would love to see a picture.......

LOL about ppl thinking it is just the breed! Yeah' date=' your dog was born knowing all those commands. :p

That's really great that you keep up your dogs' training! Sorry to hear about the loss of your Golden, though. It sounds like he was given a wonderful life, so was happy.

My service dog is a Portuguese Water Dog (yeah, yeah, like the President has, but I've had mine for years longer). I posted a pic on these boards before, let me see if I can find the site I used to host it, LOL....

[img']http://inlinethumb02.webshots.com/46657/2801743420106283928S600x600Q85.jpg[/img]

That's her on our last cruise.

Apparently there are such things as service monkeys and guide horses :confused:

Somehow, I don't think Carnival is required to take monkeys and horses on board, yet some have flown in planes.

Under the current ADA they are required to take all service animals onboard, but that may soon be changing as the DOJ wants to change it so pretty much the only service animals allowed in public are dogs.

Guide mini horses are great for those with dog allergies and those who want a longer-living guide animal.

Monkeys generally help paraplegics (the monkeys have hands to do things dogs can't do) and they usually only help at home, not in public places, though you may see them in planes (the person could use the help in the hotel, friend/family's house, etc.).

However, it might be even harder to get import clearance in the different countries for mini-horses (which would follow the same rules as full-sized horses) and monkeys, so I don't know if they would really join somebody on a cruise or not.

[QUOTE=5o'clocksomewhere;25329582]We have been involved in dog training with our dogs for many years and also have close friends who are trainers. I have seen some pretty amazing transformations with some of these dogs.......only to be wasted once turned back to their owners:( We just lost our 11 year old golden this past May and he was still being trained up until he passed away;) People would comment on how well behaved he was and attributed it to his breed:rolleyes: Some people think some dogs just come that way:p They don't understand the work and the time that goes into it......
What breed do you have? Would love to see a picture.......[/QUOTE]

OMG! I did think that it was the breed, my dogs just look at me when I tell them something and just ignore me. Same thing with my daughter.

Archived