How many of you have cruised without passport?

taliacamp

Yep. For those who want to leave it home that's fine but to try to insist that others don't bring it doesn't make sense. And comparing tucking your marriage certificate in with your docs to bringing the kitchen sink. Well.... doesn't seem like the same thing at all. But to each his/her own.

Who is saying that? We are just saying it is not required.....what part of that don't you get:confused: Not required......not required.......bring it if you want........nobody can stop you....

If it makes you feel better bring it.........

When dealing with the government, I find it simpler to anticipate what they might want and have it close at hand. When you are dealing with immigration, you are dealing with the government.

It doesn't really matter to me. I'm single, never married, and male. My ID and Birth Certificate, and Passport all have the same name on it. A marriage certificate is something I don't have to worry about. But if one is not so lucky, then it just might be better to have a bit more proof. It's just a suggestion. I don't know why people get so adamant about telling people not to bother. If they don't, it's not my problem. It's not like I'm insuring their cruise or anything, so I don't have anything at stake here. If you know where it is and it's easily accessible, the throw it in with the rest of the documents. If you have no idea where it is, then it's probably not worth the bother. And I've probably wasted more time typing this up than it's worth, but it's done, so I might as well post.

Who is saying that? We are just saying it is not required.....what part of that don't you get:confused: Not required......not required.......bring it if you want........nobody can stop you....

If it makes you feel better bring it.........

You say it's not required.

Others insist they saw cruise passengers being asked for it and having to wait to board.

I say' date=' why not bring it just to be safe.

You say bring the kitchen sink too.

I say it's not the same thing, it takes up little room.

I say [b']do what you want but if you're unsure just bring it. Better safe than sorry.[/b]

Others insist they saw cruise passengers being asked for it and having to wait to board.

I say, why not bring it just to be safe.

You say bring the kitchen sink too.

I say it's not the same thing, it takes up little room.

I say do what you want but if you're unsure just bring it. Better safe than sorry.

It's not required......bring it if it makes you feel better....

Whooee, what a discussion, and all over what to bring. "Not required"..."bring everything"..."don't need".... I understand there's an expense involved, but if you have a PASSPORT, you already have EVERYTHING.... no need to worry about packing any other documents (you're going to have your driver's license with you anyway).

I'm glad all of you who travel w/o passports are so... proud of yourselves (although I'm not sure when it became a badge of honor). I took my first cruise without one, too, and since I didn't have my birth certificate, it was just as big a hassle (though less expensive) to get the docs I needed as it would have been to get a passport. I haven't traveled abroad without one since then.

No, you don't have to have a passport to take a "closed loop" cruise, at least until the govt changes the rules, but if you have to fly back to the US from some overseas port, lotsa luck - you'll wish you had one. :(

Whooee, what a discussion, and all over what to bring. "Not required"..."bring everything"..."don't need".... I understand there's an expense involved, but if you have a PASSPORT, you already have EVERYTHING.... no need to worry about packing any other documents (you're going to have your driver's license with you anyway).

I'm glad all of you who travel w/o passports are so... proud of yourselves (although I'm not sure when it became a badge of honor). I took my first cruise without one, too, and since I didn't have my birth certificate, it was just as big a hassle (though less expensive) to get the docs I needed as it would have been to get a passport. I haven't traveled abroad without one since then.

No, you don't have to have a passport to take a "closed loop" cruise, at least until the govt changes the rules, but if you have to fly back to the US from some overseas port, lotsa luck - you'll wish you had one. :(

Where in the world did this come from? The OP asked if anyone was sailing without a passport...We responded with a yes or no. So because we answer with a yes we are "proud of ourselves"? Right:rolleyes: No "Badge of Honor". It is not required for closed loop cruises so it is our choice to get one or not. I really don't understand why this is such a touchy subject for those who choose to have passports. Until the government requires it for closed-loops cruises people can choose not to get one. Their own risk to take.

Where in the world did this come from? The OP asked if anyone was sailing without a passport...We responded with a yes or no. So because we answer with a yes we are "proud of ourselves"? Right:rolleyes: No "Badge of Honor". It is not required for closed loop cruises so it is our choice to get one or not. I really don't understand why this is such a touchy subject for those who choose to have passports. Until the government requires it for closed-loops cruises people can choose not to get one. Their own risk to take.

Thank you!...Holy Moly I did not expect this when i asked this question. Boy did I open up a can of worms!:eek:

I would hope so........kudos to the government on that one.....but that has nothing to do with boarding a ship;)

This is my fist cruise, so i could be wrong, but I though the whole point of this is that you will be dealing with the government in the form of immigration. And yes, I too was actually happy to see the gov't double checking things!!

Names didn't match on what? If the name on your id does not match the name on your docs that is where you will have the problem........like I said in an earlier post..........

If you book the cruise in your maiden name and then got married and changed you id to your married name before your cruise......then of course you need to bring your marriage cert.....that would be the only reason. But I already said that.....

Cruise docs and id must match.....

Millions and millions of woman have their maiden name on their birth certificates.......if that was an issue (which it is not) they would reguire you to bring you marriage certificat.......which they don't.

And you still have no fact that she didn't get to sail;)

I'm not sure exactly what didn't match, but whatever it was, apparently the marriage license would have straightened it out because the agent asked for it. They didn't have it and that is where the problems began.

And you still have no fact that she didn't get to sail.

No, I do not and stated that in my post. I don't know if they just took their word for it after further explaination; got relatives to fax a copy to them; or were denied boarding. I was simply counterpointing the statement that "it is simply not true" about neediing to take a marriage license. I heard the agent asked them for a marriage license so for whatever reason, it was needed in that instance and to say "it is simply not true" that you do not need to take a marriage license is well, "simply not true."

Wife and I have traveled a few times with just birth certificate and lic.

We are doing it again next month.

For our anniversary though we are going to get each other passports (In December) so that we will be prepared for the future.

• 1 year later...

Any of those cruises were to Cartagena, Colombia? were you didn't need a passport.

Thanks,

Jim

20 cruises . . . no passport . . . no problemas . . . EVER. :D

Am considering a land vacation to Europe next summer. So, I'll have to breakdown and pony up the beans for a passport then. :)

They talked about making it mandatory that ALL cruise passengers have passports eff 1/06. They pushed it off, off, and off again and here we are 6 yrs later. I got my passport bc it was going to be required then they canceled that so the rest of my family didn't get theirs before that cruise (we were doing 1 a month to spread expenses). I have cruised 5 times since then and never needed it to fly back home for emergency, etc. And now it will expire in 3 yrs. :( We probably will start getting ours though as the prices keep going UP and UP.

As far as spending more getting BC and all to cruise, to get a passport you would still have to have a BC so no savings there. And I had to show my marriage license to get my passport as well.

20 cruises . . . no passport . . . no problemas . . . EVER. :D

Am considering a land vacation to Europe next summer. So, I'll have to breakdown and pony up the beans for a passport then. :)

You might as well get one. About time don't you think? :D Hello old friend. I hope you're doing well.

Well since this thread was originally started in July 2010, we have been on 3 more cruises, for a total of 9 in the last 10 years with BC and DL. Still with absolutely no problems and I have still never been asked for my Marriage Certificate.

I will not be sailing with passport until 1) it is required for closed loop cruises, 2) I plan a trip where one is necessary or 3)by some slim chance the odds fail me and I end up in a situation where I need to get an emergency one on a closed loop cruise. Still my choice and my risk to take. I choose to save my money and passport years until a passport is actually needed. Yes there is a slight risk. But it is much less than 1% and there are ways to get emergency passports, if needed, in those less than 1% cases.

So far, by my calculations, I am ahead of the ballgame by saving the money on 1 set of passports for DH and myself and 2 sets of passports for DS and DD (good for only 5 years) over the last 10 years of closed loop cruising.

We have been on oh I don't know maybe, 14 cruises and have never been asked for Marriage License,but then again we are older and married for 30 years. So maybe they ask the young married couples? I'm not sure,but am not planning on bringing mine. Also as far as Passports,we have them but are taking Grand-kids on Mexico cruise in July and do not plan on getting them for the 3 kids. Carnival says they would like you to have them but not required. I think this site got kind of out of hand over people just wanting info. If in doubt call cruise line or look on Gov passport web site.

Archived