Dining Room Disasters: What's the worst dish you've had on Carnival?

I think I'm going to have to eat the diet pumpkin pie on my next cruise! Curiosity killed the cat. Haha, I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. I eat absolutely anything, though, so I'm curious to see if even I would eat it. If I say something is bad, then you truly know to stay away from it!

R.I.P. :p

While reading this thread it brought back memories of each cruise where the waiter would discourage certain dishes. The diet pumpkin pie is a big one and rightfully so. Beyond nasty! That had me thinking that if the waiters/waitresses know which dishes tend to have less desireable feedback then why doesn't Carnival take note and either adjust the recipes or find alternatives? I'm not talking about a few hit or misses but the items that consistently get left uneaten or sent back. That diet pumpkin pie is a perfect example since I have yet to ever hear that anyone has been able to eat it let along enjoys it. It seems like such a waste to not take the feedback from the servers and put it to use.

DH and I have been talking alot about the food in the dining room lately. The Dream food options on the Lido at lunch really spoiled us. While we never went hungry in the dining room for dinner it wasn't anything to get excited about. The new Pasta Station was more exciting and would have made an excellent place to have dinner if it were open longer hours. I wish they'd offer a pasta with a choice of sauces each night as part of the classics. Even if it were just one type of pasta that got rotated on different nights and the sauce choices remained the same.

Great idea about the pastas! Carnival, are you listening! That would be a nice option to have each night.

I love Caesar salad and always get it in the MDR. On our last cruise on the Conquest, it was WAY "fishy".......I was so disappointed because I always look forward to ordering it. It was really yucky:(

The last night turkey is the worst IMHO

It used to be an old "tradition" to have an American Thanksgiving farewell dinner the last night so Carnival keeps this on the menu

it is however seasoned by chefs from other countries and ends up totally weird...I had it ONE time on Imagination, never again, and have seen others order it and then have to order a 2nd entree

I think it just tastes ODD, the stuffing/gravy seasoning is just "off"

On the Liberty the Chatauebriand was my least fav ...too well done, tough, I like medium rare....just a small dollop of Bernaise sauce..no thanks

I didn't order Tom Turkey but 2 at my table did, and I tried one bite..the seasoning is still weird and they both ordered a 2nd choice ,

I have NOT seen anyone ever rave about that Turkey or call it a fave LOL....just the worst

(and honestly I bet most of us can make a much better stuffing/ Thanksgiving meal than this...why order it on a ship with chefs who are NOT American? ?)

I think I'm going to have to eat the diet pumpkin pie on my next cruise! Curiosity killed the cat. Haha, I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. I eat absolutely anything, though, so I'm curious to see if even I would eat it. If I say something is bad, then you truly know to stay away from it!

Im curious too! I think when I head onto the Liberty in a few weeks I'll give it a go just to see what it looks/tastes like!!!!

And definitely order a back up dessert! :D

Everything thing we ordered has been great with the exception of one thing. On the Paradise last year, I was looking at the "diet" desserts trying to decide which one to choose. I picked the poached pear. Our waiter said "really? no"..I told him I wanted to at least try it because I had never had it. He tried to get me to change my mind, tempting me with warm chocolate melting cake. Nope I wanted that damn poached pear. He served everyone elses dessert and brought mine with great flourish to the table covered with the lid. He took the lid off and we all died laughing. It was a purple blob in the middle of the plate. Not good at all! The pear wasn't even ripe! Hard as a rock. Our waiter was cracking up and offered to bring me something else. I think I passed on dessert that night. :D

I'm not a fan of the chocolate melting cake either.. too rich and undercooked for me. Actually on our last crusie, no one at my table liked it.. they all thought it was too rich and not cooked..

The WORSE thing I had on my last cruise was the poached pear. I make them at home and love them.. the one I had on the Ecstasy was just nasty. Hard and no flavor. I ended up just eating the cheese plate !

The WORSE thing I had on my last cruise was the poached pear. I make them at home and love them.. the one I had on the Ecstasy was just nasty. Hard and no flavor. I ended up just eating the cheese plate !

You ate the plate?icon7.gif

Several years ago I ordered the Seafood Neuberg and it was a tad to fishy for my taste. And one time I ordered an appetizer that had calamari in it that was almost as tuff as trying to chew a rubber band.

It was just as bad last week on the Legend. Never had a good flat iron steak. Last week, my lobster didn't seem to have any meat to it, just dried up, cooked lobster blood stuff. Very weird. I had so much food that night I didn't ask for another.

Most of the time the ceasar salad was warmish rather than cold. Did a galley tour...salads are made early. They were all lined up at 11am, for dinner service we were told.

Prime rib was good!

I ordered the Chateaubriand, took one bite, and wished I could spit it out! It was just not to my liking at all. I have had this on a previous cruise (another line) and liked it.

I can take or leave the Chocolate Melting Cake. Some of my cruising friends call it "THE OMG CAKE"-I think that is hilarious.:p

Chateaubriand was very tough. I didn't like the CMC either.

From room service on Inspiration I ordered the steak and cheese on a roll and I needed a magnifying class to find the meat, one skinny slice. On Legend I ordered two thinking they'd be small but I got a big, juicy pile of roast beef and great cheese! I had to save one to eat later, they were huge! Different chefs, different food, even if the menu is exactly the same.

What was bad abou the chocolate melting cake??? :confused:

It's like drinking thick, warm chocolate sauce right from the stove. I like chocolate sauce IN things,or ON things, not as the dessert. Sometimes the cake part is mush, other times it's hard and dry. People love it though.

It was just as bad last week on the Legend. Never had a good flat iron steak. Last week, my lobster didn't seem to have any meat to it, just dried up, cooked lobster blood stuff. Very weird. I had so much food that night I didn't ask for another.

Most of the time the ceasar salad was warmish rather than cold. Did a galley tour...salads are made early. They were all lined up at 11am, for dinner service we were told.

Prime rib was good!

Warmish ceaser does not sound good..that dressing should be cold cold... real ceaser dressing is made with raw eggs I thought..probably, hopefully different on Carnival..???

And that lobster story is sad too..wow...cooked blood?? Only ever saw white meat with red shell...??:confused:

Things really can vary...:confused: Glad usually so good.:)

Generally, I've been very impressed by Carnival's MDR menu. I've never had anything I didn't love...except for once.

One night I ordered the diet pumpkin pie. I'm pretty sure it was just a goof in the kitchen, but the pie came out wobbling like jell-o on the plate. I took a bite of the shiny texture and tasted no pumpkin or even sweetness, but something like pure baking soda! Fortunately we were brought a different dessert very quickly, and the staff apologized. Now like I said, I highly doubt it was supposed to taste like that, so it's not an attack on the recipe. But man...was it bad! :p

Do you have any memories of dining disasters, or just something Carnival could improve on in general? Feel free to share.

I agree with you. When I read the title of this thread, I was going to say that diet pumpkin pie! Horrible! Why don't they just use regular pumpkin leave out the jello and use Splenda to sweeten it.

Omgsh that's the ship I had it on. xP You'll love everything alse about the cruise though. :D

LOL!!! Well lets see if its still the good 'ol diet pumpkin pie that you remember! I'll post about it.

Yea, this is x2 for me on the Liberty and love the ship!

Archived