Dining Room Disasters: What's the worst dish you've had on Carnival?

The one bad meal i can ever remember having in the MDR was Seafood Nueberg (sp). I thought one of my table mates was going to pass out from laughing. He said the look on my face when i took that first bite was the funniest thing he had ever seen. Folks, it was sho nuff nasty. Not sure if it was just a bad batch or not, but never had the courage to try it again.

Not a big fan of the CMC either, but i absolutely love the Bitter & Blanc. Wish they had it every night.

The one bad meal i can ever remember having in the MDR was Seafood Nueberg (sp). I thought one of my table mates was going to pass out from laughing. He said the look on my face when i took that first bite was the funniest thing he had ever seen. Folks, it was sho nuff nasty. Not sure if it was just a bad batch or not, but never had the courage to try it again.

Totally agree. I could NOT eat the Seafood Newburg. I won't say what I thought it tasted like... :eek:

The new Pasta Station was more exciting and would have made an excellent place to have dinner if it were open longer hours. I wish they'd offer a pasta with a choice of sauces each night as part of the classics. Even if it were just one type of pasta that got rotated on different nights and the sauce choices remained the same.

I do agree that the Pasta Station should be open in the evenings - it was great! umm... doesn't the MDR offer pasta every night already?? What are you looking for dif there?

Not a big fan of the CMC either, but i absolutely love the Bitter & Blanc. Wish they had it every night.

Seafood Newburg, I remember that now. I think I had blocked it from my memory it was so awful.

On the Dream last year the Newburg was served in a half of a lobster,

and it tasted very fishy. I couldn't eat it. not sure if it was me because

of the of the lobster shell or what. But a fellow CC member raved about

the dish. :eek: Also many years ago on the Ecstasy's maiden voyage

I ordered a warm peach melba. When the waiter put it in front of me, it

was frozen solid. :confused: I didn't know what to say. A year later

on the same ship I ordered it again and it came out warm. :D

Love the Bitter and Blanc Also the Grand Marnier souffle.

Have asked and have gotten Bitter and Blanc a second time.

I got off the Ecstasy yesterday. Most of the food I had in the main dining room was good. I got the Mahi Mahi one night and sent it back after two bites. It was the driest fish I'd ever tasted. Our waiter was great when I sent it back and said that he never recommended the Mahi Mahi.

As far as the beef dishes, I think its all in the way it is cooked. I got the flat iron steak on the last night, medium rare. It was quite tender. Someone else at my table ordered it medium and kept commenting on how tough it was. On formal night, he brought out 2 or 3 prime rib dishes so that my dad would be happy with how it's prepared (he likes his meat really rare). With 9 people at the table that night, there was very little prime rib left over, even with all that extra.

Our waiter was wonderful. Each night, he let us know about the best dishes on the menu for the following night. He also told us which desserts were good and which weren't as good.

I concur with the majority about Seafood Newburg. Smelled terrible, like a bait shop. :eek:

I have good and bad experiences with the Flat Iron steak. The flat iron really needs to be cooked medium rare or less to keep it tender. So for those asking for medium well they are asking for trouble. Of course, asking for a certain temperature and getting it isn't 100% guaranteed. I have usually had very good luck getting the prime rib to the doneness I like. Order it every cruise.

Great idea about the pastas! Carnival, are you listening! That would be a nice option to have each night.

Twice on my last Miracle cruise, I didn't see anything I really wanted on the menu and the waiter let me order pasta with marinara sauce. It was delicious. The waiter also brought me a nice salad to go along with it. I love all the "diet" desserts except the pumpkin pie.

I can't remember what it was but it was covered in a light brown sauce. It looked like a baby diaper complete with a hard poo in the middle. DH and I just looked at eachother and laughed at the sight of it. It didn't taste good either.

Twice on my last Miracle cruise, I didn't see anything I really wanted on the menu and the waiter let me order pasta with marinara sauce. It was delicious. The waiter also brought me a nice salad to go along with it. I love all the "diet" desserts except the pumpkin pie.

I find that cruise lines are virtually able to serve you anything in the dining room, even if it isn't on the menu that night, and you can order a dish exactly the way you want it.

And I agree about the pumpkin pie...or whatever it was. :rolleyes:

What is it with chocolate melting cake?

I have only had it once but my wife orders it EVERY night on every cruise. Some nights it is like soup while other nights it is dry and overcooked. Maybe one or two nights out of seven it is actually cooked correctly. Despite this she still orders it every night...

The best way to get choc melting cake is lido buffet. I found them in water bath trays on buffet. MDR consistency is hit or miss.

Carnival has an "Always available" section to the MDR menu and I believe pasta is one of the always available dishes. And pasta is on the children menu every night and the children's menu is available to all.

I loved all but one thing that I had in the MDR. I had to go look it up, and it was called Penne Mariscos. It had a couple of shrimp in it, but mostly tasted like noodles tossed in tomato sauce. No spices or other flavor...just tomato. Was nasty. Still, I made lemonade out of lemons. I had been dying to try the cheese plate, so I left my main dish, saved some bread and ordered 2 desserts that night. I had a sweet dessert and the cheese plate with my bread. I love bread and cheese, and I managed to get plenty full.

As far as getting something I didn't like is concerned, I have sent a few dishes away and ordered something else. I have a very adventurous palate and a cruise is a perfect place to try something new. Most of the time I enjoy the new experience. In the rare occasion when I don't, it is so simple to get something else that I cannot see it as a disaster.

I finally convinced my "beef n' taters" DH to try the escargot and it was served cold - I mean CHILLED! I told him that was not the way it was supposed to be served, but I could never get him to try it again...

Flat Iron Steak: my two were as hard as a iron---Carnival must be buying up Golden Corral's rejects.Easy to see one of the major cut backs is the quality of the beef---I miiss the Filet Mignon,T bones, etc.

I had the same problem with the Flat Iron Steak. Sent it back twice and finally ordered something else.

This was the only dinner I couldn't eat and I've cruised several times. Must have been one tough cow :eek:

I had the same problem with the Flat Iron Steak. Sent it back twice and finally ordered something else.

This was the only dinner I couldn't eat and I've cruised several times. Must have been one tough cow :eek:

How are you ordering it? Flat Iron is best down in the rare-medium range. Anything more and it becomes rubber.

I'm an adventurous eater, I'll eat just about anything...I typically will order the weirdest thing on the menu at restaurants.

BUT....

I just could not handle the "Chili Relleno"

Oh man..I dont know if it was the grease soaked batter, or just the way the pepper disintegrated when I tried to cut it with a fork

I just couldn't do it...

Tried it 2x now a couple years apart and it was the same :eek:

Other than that, I've generally had great food on Carnival and the service is usually outstanding

Archived