RCCL Adventure Ocean 12-14

ruascott

First time crusing with kids - we'll have two 13 yr old boys. Do they need to be signed up for the AO? If so, when/ how do we do that?

For those that have had kids in this age group, how did you handle it?

Also, what did the kids enjoy vs not enjoy? Thanks! :D

Hi ruascott! We were on Freedom the week of June 27. Our son is 12 and we were with friends who have boys ages 10 and 13. They didn't have to sign up for the 12-14 program, they just showed up when they wanted to participate. The first night, they have a meet and greet kind of thing in Fuel or the Living Room (your Cruise Compass should say when and where). Our boys enjoyed most of the activities. They played dodgeball, foozball, and air hockey. They loved the competitions and tournaments, which they had to sign up for in advance. There was a junior rock climbing competition, some scavenger hunt type games, and a teen Quest type of game. After dinner, there were parties almost every night (ie. pool, dance, etc.). Some nights, they went to the show with us, if they didn't want to participate in that night's activity. They loved the Flowrider. In fact, once they discovered it, they wanted to be there whenever it was open. They had a great time! And, we felt they were safe. We did have specific rules for behavior, checking in with us, being where they said they would be, etc. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll try to answer the best that I can. It should be great fun for all of you! :)

RC does a great job with this age group. My kids loved the activities and the "vibe" of this group. We have sailed other lines where the teen program was too much like being babysat. My kids love spending the evenings with their groups so we have little problem with them wanting to wander around the ship.

It really depends upon the mix of teens on board. Encourage the kids to go to the first night mixer -- if they meet other kids their age and hit it off, they will have a great time.

What about siblings? Will they allow them to stay together if they fall into different age groups?

My daughter is 12 and son 10, but my daughter has T1 diabetes and my son knows what to look for and and how to treat her if she goes low. I really would not want them to be apart, do you think they would allow that?

That's a good question...however, I can't answer it. I can tell you that the 10 year old in our group couldn't be with the older boys. I think that's because the younger boy was in a supervised/structured program and the older boys could come and go as they pleased. From what I've read on these boards, they don't allow kids from a specific age group to be with younger or older groups. But, with your circumstances, it may be different. Maybe there is someone you can contact at the cruiseline who can look into this for you?

I just had a thought. If you were willing to let your kids roam free (so to speak), they could be together. But, as far as the kids/teens programs are concerned, I don't think they'll let you put them together.

Archived