RCL vs. Princess

Hello,

I just got back a month ago from the new Caribbean Princess. I enjoyed that cruise more than anyone could imagine and fear going on another line because of the quality of food, service, entertainment, ect. that I got from Princess. My husband and I are looking to take a cruise on the Mariner of the Seas. When we were on the CP, we didn't notice an over abundance of children (we would prefer not to have kids splashing around while we try to relax), are there alot of children on RCL? Have you been on the Mariner, and if so, how would you rate your overall experience? I also noticed that the cruise stops in Haiti, I am a little hesitant to get off the ship, has anyone been there, is it safe? Any information that you could provide me with would be great, thanks in advance.

Mindy

Caribbean Princess 5/2004

They all have kids during kid weeks.......Spring break, Easter, Thanksgiving and the entire summer. Be selective in your week and you will be fine with the kids. We've done mostly Carnival, 1 Princess and 1 RCCL. I'll rate each category below from best to least best:
Food: Carnival, RCCL, Princess
Cabin: Carnival, RCCL, Princess
Service: Princess, RCCL, Carnival
Dining Room Service: RCCL, Carnival, Princess
Ship Activities: Carnival, Princess, RCCL
Cruise Staff: Princess, RCCL, Carnival
Entertainment: Carnival, RCCL, Princess
Crowd: (Tie) Pricess and RCCL, Carnival

I think Carnival has an excellent product, but from the last 2 we went on, it seems that we've outgrown alot of what they have to offer - Not real sure how to explain.

Looking to do Adventure of the Seas next May.

Tropicale
Celebration (3)
Holiday (4)
Ectasy
Destiny
Voyager of The Seas
Paradise
Pride
Conquest
Diamond Princess

Till the Diamond Princess
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=1400d3&cdt=2004;4;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

Metla, that is just the way we feel about Carnival. We are going on the AOS next month for the very same reason you are. Hard to put a finger on why, but I agree...time to move on.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;7;17;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS

I have not been on a Voyager class ship- I have only been on Sovereign. My one Princess cruise was on the old Pacific Princess which was not a great ship but the service, shows, food and entertainment was topnotch-much better then RCCL or Carnival. That is until I went on Carnival Miracle. I was on her when she had been cruising only 6 weeks and I found her shows,food, service. entertainment and lounges was topnotch every bit as good as my one Princess cruise.

so I believe the thing to do is go on a new ship-I believe the cruiselines put their best chefs, entertainers etc. on their newest ships.

Since Mariner is new-only about a year old or a little less I would think this would be true of her.

I did love Princess and would cruise her more but there are not the options that you get from Carnival and RCCL-I like not having to fly to cruise and Carnival and RCCL gives me these options by having ports closer to me. To cruise Princess it is either a 15 hour car drive or fly.

One thing I must say too though is on that one Princess cruise there were on I think 5 children under 18. One family had a 12 and 15 year old well behaved. Tow other families who wee traveling together had 3 toddlers between them. Those 3 were some of the worse behaved babies I have seen. I have been on plenty of cruises where the were many more little ones and never a problem-so it really comes down to whether the parents CONTROL their kids or not. It is hard to believe but true my worse experience with kids was on a cruise where there were hardly any.
Carnival Tropicale 10/15/98 Western Caribbean
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/22/99 Bahamas
Carnival Fascination 09/23/00 Southern caribbean
HAL Statendam 05/20/01 Alaska
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/08/01 Bahamas
Pacific Princess 09/29/02 Bermuda
Carnival Inspiration 12/14/03 Western caribbean
Carnival Miracle 04/09/04 Bahamas

Moody Min....please tell me about the CP, we are looking at this for Sept, for a all girls cruise!
I love RCI's Atriums, how large is the Atrium on CP? Did you have a balcony? How many pools...salt water? Dining options? How is thier private island?
Anything you can tell me......thanks!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise, Labadee is now safe and they have returned to this port, I myself liked Coco Cay, but thats just MO.
We have been on plenty of cruises with too many kids....a lot depends on time of year, summer and school vacations are more kids for sure! Sure wish RCI would do at least 1 or 2 adults only cruises each year. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Soveriegn 92 E. Caribbean
Majesty 95 W. Caribbean
Granduer 97 E. Caribbean
Rhapsody 00 Mexico
Vision 02 Alaska
Radiance 03 Panama Canal
Brilliance 3/29/04

Radiance of the Seas/Panama Canal 10/18/2003
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]Are we there yet?
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

My bags are always packed!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;3;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] Brilliance 3/29/2004

Metla-Also feel as you do about Carnival. Good product-i'm even a stock owner, but feel we have out grown their product.

However, we've cruised Celebrity, RCCL, Princess, also and nobody has been able to beat Carnival's entertainment. I wish I could have, RCCL's atmosphere, Celebrity's Food and Service, with Carnival's production shows.

Archived