Belize Rays Snorkel Tour - Wonderful!

DiverDavid

Our cruise stopped in Belize last week. After reading this board and researching the various snorkel vendors, we decided to use Belize Rays (http://www.belizerays.com). I had a great e-mail exchange with the owner getting more information prior to our trip. The trip is 2 1/2 - 3 hours long and cost $45 each.

The office is in the vendor area between piers 2 and 3. A minimum of 25 people is needed before they can head out. So if there are not enough reservations, departure is delayed while they solicite more passengers. But, you can spend the time shopping at all the stores or enjoying one of the many bars. There is a post office for mailing postcards and a pharmacy with prices that had people lined up out the door. There was a gazebo with a great calypso band.

Belize Rays uses a catamaran style power boat, the Angel Ray, that is very wide and stable. There is an open section in the bow, a large covered midsection, then an open stern area with two showers and two swim platforms/ladders. The flybridge is large with plenty of seating. The Angel Ray has a head. Bottled water is free and sodas cost $1.00. All snorkel gear is provided if needed along with life jackets.

The first stop is at Coral Sands Beach Club. This is on a key that is just being developed. The beach is great with lots of beach chairs - many under grass huts. All the palm trees are encircled with conch shells. The facilities are simple - bar, grill, restrooms - just what you need! You can choose to spend the entire time on the beach or go snorkeling then have about 45 minutes at the beach. Kayaks are available for free.

There is one snorkel stop with amazing coral and fish. A crew member leads everyone from the boat into the reef pointing out various coral formations and naming fish. Finally you are instructed to turn around facing the boat and just let the current float you back to the boat. You can then wander around as you like. We were out there for 45-50 minutes.

Customer satisfaction is high priority with Belize Rays. We saw this starting with the office staff then the crew. My mother had never been to the Caribbean before and this was her first snorkel experience. She has limited leg mobility. As soon as the crew learned of her limitation, one of them jumped in the water with a life ring and towed her the entire time so she would not miss anything. This same crew member spent the transit time proudly talking about Belize history with books and maps. It was very educational.

Finally, the captain takes you straight back to your cruise ship saving you the hassle of going back to the dock for the tender.

Other than the wait to depart, our experience with Belize Rays was excellent. The captain and the crew are very friendly and want you to have a great time. We never felt rushed. I highly recommend Belize Rays if you are looking for a terrific snorkel and beach excursion!

My husband and I also had a great tour with Belize Rays last month although I haven't had the time yet to post a detailed review. They were very professional and there were absolutely no safety concerns. Before our cruise I had read a number of reviews about other Belize operators that seemed to have safety issues (including the one I had already made a reservation with). I decided to cancel my first reservation and go with Belize Rays and I'm glad I did because we had a great day!! I had never snorkeled before and I loved it and we also enjoyed the brief stop at Coral Sands Beach Resort. We left the pier around 11:00 and we were back by mid-afternoon which allowed us time to do some shopping before having to be back on the ship.

Archived