Continental Airlines-checking a booster car seat-Free? ID needed for kids?

kimmi5207

The below isn't a cruise related question, but I know many people fly in for Pre-cruise vacations, so I'm hoping someone on the family board can answer this question.

We are flying to Atlanta on Continental Airlines, renting a car at the airport, and driving on to another state. My 5 year old niece will be with me and she uses a booster car seat - in our state, it's the law for under age 8 and in the states we are traveling to, it's the law for under age 6.

Has anyone checked a car seat at the baggage claim area with their suitcases? Is it really free? I checked the website for continental, and it appears you can check a car seat or stroller for free, but I wanted to hear from some one who has actually done it, as I don't want a suprise fee at the airport.

Of course I could always rent one from the car rental agency, but it would be $60 extra for the 5 days, which is more than the cost of a new carseat.

Note - we don't intend to use it on the plane. Just in the car at our destination.

Another ? - what is needed for identification for little kids to fly? Do they need identification (i.e. a birth certificate to show security to match the airline ticket)? I always use my passport or drivers license. My son has had a passport every since we started flying, so I'm not sure of the real requirements.

Thanks

Thanks

yes it is free to check carseat as baggage-- some people are concerned about the handling of carseats & impact rough handling can have on the carseat (ie with recommendations if you are in a car accident to replace the carseat) but you didnt ask about this so wont go on :)

no ID needed when we have traveled- but if I dont take my kids passports w/ me when traveling I always bring a recent picture of them & a family picture-- paranoid I guess- was asked for it once in Mexico when I was traveling without DH

Hmm, never thought about taking pictures. I always figued I had them on our camera. You know, the first morning picture at the airport that says, "Here we are, ready to go to _____!", for the scrapbook.

this makes me sad. Used to be so good about scrapbooking & loved it-- kept up really well with the singleton. Now with the twins & 7r old I'm just thrilled if I remember to bring the camera along.....

not sure which crazy place I read to bring a family picture along when I was traveling alone w my kid internationally but now it just stays in the passport folder w/ the permission letter in case needed :D

On the other hand, if I'm going to pay for it as luggage, I suppose I'll put the booster in a giant duffle and cram in as much as I can! :D

we did this w/ our carseat & even told the Delta agent-- its a carseat bag w car seat & also packed diapers, jackets, etc in the bag-- do we need to take the other stuff out or can it go thru as free carseat bag-- she said to leave everything it was free & also helped protect the carseat

It's one checked for international now. We're packing to 2.5 weeks, so we may splurge for a 4th bag in our group on 3. I guess I never considered they wouldn't classify a booster as a car seat. A family using a car needs one just as much as the other, the difference simply being age/weight.

have never had an issues on United or Delta w/ booster vs carseat & we bring both for the 3 kids-- always free & we always travel with them-- although the booster is the only one we check recently as the 3yo have to sit in their carseat for flights-- otherwise they are climbing all over me

Sorry guys, I am new to the traveling with kids thing. I took my daughter on a domestic flight when she was 3 months old and just gave them the car seat at the gate, but I do not know what to do next year.

Our DD will be 3 when we take our TA flight for our 7 day cruise (Italy and Greece). I am planning on bringing the unbrella stroller, but wasn't sure what to do about a carseat (my husband desided we shouldn't bring it :().

So some of you bring your carseat on to the plane for the kid to sit on? Is that more comfortable for them? I think she might get restless and want more room.

And I can/should bring it for the taxi rides in each port?

Sorry if i sound completely dumb but I have never been to Europe.

I've not done the 'kid in Europe' thing before, but we took our almost 3 y/o on a pretty long set of flights to Hawaii (KC - LA - Hawaii). We needed to take a car seat anyway for the car rentals and taxis at the other end (shore excursions as well as the 5 days we went there early), so we took our grama's house car seat, which is a little less bulky than our everyday car seat. It was a 5-point harness type, which was her appropriate seat at the time, and was FAA certified. (that part's important!) DH strapped it into the plane seat and we strapped her to it. I think it helped distinguish to her that, like being in a car, when you're on a plane you can't just get up and wander around as you please. I think it was more comfortable for her in the seat, too. It had a place for her to lean her head and sleep.

So as for the plane, we gate checked the stroller and used the seat, but took both. At that age I think you need both, unless you can use a bunch of buses/subways at the other end.

I stopped using the car seat at 2 because it creates a position where the kids feet are pressed against the seat in front of them - not comfortable for the kid or the passenger in front of them. Also means they can't use the tray table. My girls though have always been good about staying in their chairs with the seatbelt buckled, so I've never had to worry about them trying to wander (we do get seats near the back of the plane so we can stand in the back when restless - and have quick access to the potty).

My girls are 5 and I still always bring their car seats to Europe - though we started using boosters for travel as soon as they qualified, even though they use full-sized seats still at home. The only time we've travelled that we haven't needed them was in New York when we knew we'd walk or use public transit the entire time.

Best,

Mia

Best,

Mia

Sorry guys, I am new to the traveling with kids thing. I took my daughter on a domestic flight when she was 3 months old and just gave them the car seat at the gate, but I do not know what to do next year.

Our DD will be 3 when we take our TA flight for our 7 day cruise (Italy and Greece). I am planning on bringing the unbrella stroller, but wasn't sure what to do about a carseat (my husband desided we shouldn't bring it :().

So some of you bring your carseat on to the plane for the kid to sit on? Is that more comfortable for them? I think she might get restless and want more room.

And I can/should bring it for the taxi rides in each port?

Sorry if i sound completely dumb but I have never been to Europe.

I've not done the 'kid in Europe' thing before, but we took our almost 3 y/o on a pretty long set of flights to Hawaii (KC - LA - Hawaii). We needed to take a car seat anyway for the car rentals and taxis at the other end (shore excursions as well as the 5 days we went there early), so we took our grama's house car seat, which is a little less bulky than our everyday car seat. It was a 5-point harness type, which was her appropriate seat at the time, and was FAA certified. (that part's important!) DH strapped it into the plane seat and we strapped her to it. I think it helped distinguish to her that, like being in a car, when you're on a plane you can't just get up and wander around as you please. I think it was more comfortable for her in the seat, too. It had a place for her to lean her head and sleep.

So as for the plane, we gate checked the stroller and used the seat, but took both. At that age I think you need both, unless you can use a bunch of buses/subways at the other end.

Agree with hooked on travel-- our family travels are similar. Haven't done the Europe flight-- but have flown ALOT with the kids from infant to current 3 yo twins & 7yr old. always brought 5pt harness carseat for the kids until ~5yrs of age-- then for the 5yr old switched to a booster. The kids travel great (thus far...) they I think similate the plane as riding in the car-- we strap it in- they get strapped in & they stay in it. Yes we get out to stretch & change diapers, etc on a 6hr flight to Kauai but for ~5hrs of the flight they were buckled in. They aren't whiney riding in the car & same on the flight-- we brought lots of toys & distractions to keep them occupied. They ate meals in the carseat. Once we were on an almost empty flight so had the car seat + an empty seat and this was not helpful-- they wanted to sit in the seat with no carseat-- unbuckled themselves-- were very uncomfortable sleeping & kept falling over-- whereas napping in the carseat they have the sides of the carseat to catch their head-- overall just makes a HUGE difference for us. We also never take them in taxis, etc without their carseats-- so it is just an automatic item to include on our packing list-- they made great minseats in our cabin for the kids last cruise while sitting around in the room-- they also fit easily in the closet-- we have never had a storage issues from small outside cabins to suites

also funny thing since we are opposite to your plans.... we are thinking about leaving the stroller at home for next cruise (the twins will be 3yrs) but have never questioned bringing the carseat-- they are a definite yes.

Likely we will be bringing both

I stopped using the car seat at 2 because it creates a position where the kids feet are pressed against the seat in front of them - not comfortable for the kid or the passenger in front of them. Also means they can't use the tray table.

I guess it makes a difference what car seat you have. We used the tray table even with car seat.

also funny thing since we are opposite to your plans.... we are thinking about leaving the stroller at home for next cruise (the twins will be 3yrs) but have never questioned bringing the carseat-- they are a definite yes.

Likely we will be bringing both

that is funny. guess we plan on doing a lot of walking & public transportation (so stroller a must!) and not much cab riding. I am going to have to look into each port of call and see which ones we will be taking a cab.

Archived