Sydney-Louisbourg or Cabot Trail?

We are planning on going to Louisbourg but I am having second thoughts that we should go along the Cabot Trail which is being offered as an excursion by HAL. It is called "A Taste of the Cabot Trail", so I assume a small portion (Sydney to Black Brook). It might be boring being on a bus all day.

=======

Relive History at the Fortress of Louisbourg

Mingle with period-costumed interpreters portraying historic characters as you step back in time to 1744 at the Fortress of Louisbourg. Meticulously restored to its original appearance, Louisbourg is Canada’s most ambitious attempt to recall the past relationship between France and the American Colonies, and is the flagship of the Parks Canada system. Your visit is in two parts, beginning with a 45-minute guided outside walking tour of the restored buildings (including the Chateau St Louis with its beautiful furniture, tapestries and paintings). The balance of time (approximately 1½ hours) is free to explore this fascinating site on your own. Come live the excitement of a day in 1744 as you stroll the lively streets, perhaps stopping for a snack or meandering through the gardens. Re-enactments erupt at every turn as you explore the city, admiring the many buildings furnished to period or browsing through the myriad of exhibits.

Notes:

Considerable walking is involved. Wear sturdy walking shoes and dress warmly. Bring s jacket or windbreaker. This tour is not recommended for persons with special mobility needs or wheelchairs. This excursion does not operate in May.

Departure Times:

8:30 AM

Duration:

Approximately 3¾ Hours

============

A Taste of the Cabot Trail

The Medallion Collection is a series of exclusive experiences offering unparalleled access to events and sights not normally readily available. First-class style, smaller groups, multi-day Overland Adventures-elite activities for a privileged few.

Travel the Atlantic Shore of the Cabot Trail from the port of Sydney to Black Brook. This tour reveals vistas that inspired Alexander Graham Bell to observe, “I have traveled around the globe. I have seen the Canadian and American Rockies, the Andes and the Alps and the Highlands of Scotland; but for simple beauty, Cape Breton outrivals them all.” You will view some of the most dramatic and unspoiled scenery in North America including spruce-covered mountains, tranquil rivers and ocean beaches. You will have time for spectacular photo opportunities, hear the waves crashing on a sandy beach and explore the grounds of Keltic Lodge, where you will enjoy a delicious lunch.

Notes:

Departure Times:

8:00 AM

Duration:

Approximately 7½ - 8 Hours

Having done both over the years, I much prefer the Fortress of Louisbourg. One of the thing that can happen is encountering fog on the Cabot Trail and not seeing anything...now you can often have fog a the Fortress as well but your tour is not nearly as impacted by it.

Hi Jade

Sydney is a matter of choice isn't it?

We would love to do a few of the options but that's not possible. I've read a few critics who have suggested that if you do one thing then do the fort. So that is going to be our choice ... unless we change our mind. See you there.:D

You will want to take the time to drive the Cabot Trail on your own. I know once you see it, you will plan on coming back to Nova Scotia!

The ship's tour sounds like you will spend too much time eating and shopping in Keltic Lodge, and you will not see some of the best parts of the trail.

Louisbourg is wonderful. Do it by renting or hiring a car and getting there ahead of the crowd. Go to the roll call for your cruise and join up with others if you wish.

You will want to take the time to drive the Cabot Trail on your own. I know once you see it, you will plan on coming back to Nova Scotia!

The ship's tour sounds like you will spend too much time eating and shopping in Keltic Lodge, and you will not see some of the best parts of the trail.

Louisbourg is wonderful. Do it by renting or hiring a car and getting there ahead of the crowd. Go to the roll call for your cruise and join up with others if you wish.

Thanks. Louisbourg it is. We normally do all private tours but going with HAL first thing in the morning as we have a dead roll call. I am sure we will leave the guide and look around on our own. Please let me know if there is something we should not miss?

Btw, what kind of shopping is at Keltic Lodge?

Hi Jade

We would love to do a few of the options but that's not possible. I've read a few critics who have suggested that if you do one thing then do the fort. So that is going to be our choice ... unless we change our mind. See you there.:D

Yes, out of all of our ports, Sydney seems to have the most interesting options, and outside of Sydney.

Hi Jade

Btw, I saw your other posts and Amtrak Acela is great. So is the Mall in DC. All of these museums are free, paid with US federal taxes.

I am assuming there is still a 'gift shop' at Keltic Lodge though I have not checked it out since I worked there many years ago. We had busloads of tourists every day buying the usual junk along with British china and woolens which were cheaper in Canada than the US.

Ship's bus tours always seem to include a shopping location.

Having done both over the years, I much prefer the Fortress of Louisbourg. One of the thing that can happen is encountering fog on the Cabot Trail and not seeing anything...now you can often have fog a the Fortress as well but your tour is not nearly as impacted by it.

What should we not miss here?

The Fortress of Louisbourg is the reconstruction of a walled town c. 1744. This is built on the original site from the original plans. There are simple fishermen's huts and the grander buildings housing the governor and upper class types. There are restaurants and pubs, a church, gardens with historic plants, etc. Just wander around and enjoy. All the costumed animators there are playing the parts of actual people who lived there. They are prepared to answer your questions.

The Fortress of Louisbourg is the reconstruction of a walled town c. 1744. This is built on the original site from the original plans. There are simple fishermen's huts and the grander buildings housing the governor and upper class types. There are restaurants and pubs, a church, gardens with historic plants, etc. Just wander around and enjoy. All the costumed animators there are playing the parts of actual people who lived there. They are prepared to answer your questions.

Great. Thanks!

We are on HAL Eurodam and will be in Sydney on Sept 21st. I tried to get reservations with HAL for the Louisbourg tour mentioned above, but they are already sold out and we are wait listed. I have read bad things about Tartan tours, and I can't find any other tour companies to contact. We do not want to rent a car and drive. Does anyone know any other companies we can contact or have any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking at doing the Cabot Trail on our own, and thus renting our own car. What rental company would you recommend? We have a party of 5 so we would need to rent a minivan.

Thanks---

I would not recommend that you drive the Cabot Trail unless your ship is in port for longer than most. You will need at least six hours just for the driving, and without stopping at all the scenic lookoffs, there is not much point in the drive. If you have car troubles you will have a real problem.

Stic to options closer to Sydney either Baddeck and Iona or Louisbourg.

You can do a search under Ports/Canada for car rental recommendations.

You suggested doing a search Ports/Canada for car rentals. I am not sure what kind of search you are suggesting Google? forum? My husband and I want to rent a car at several ports so I am trying to find the best options. Any advice is appreciated

Archived