Dive operators in the Southern Caribbean

debsea

I am cruising on the Celebrity Millenium in December with stops in Tortola, St. Maarten, Barbados, Grenada, St. Lucia, Aruba, and Curacao. From my research, so far, I've determined that booking independently through local dive operators is the way I'll go, and I've tentatively selected the following dive operators for each location. I'd be grateful for comments and advice based on experience with any of these operators. I'm an intermediate diver, who will be diving solo in a group with the divemaster, as my husband, my usual buddy, will not be accompanying me on the cruise. I'm a light breather who enjoys maximum bottom time within the limits of the tables. I'm also 50+ and enjoy the amenities and comforts of a well-equipped dive boat.

Tortola: Aquaventure

St. Lucia: Scuba Steve's

Grenada: Aquanauts

Aruba: Dive Aruba

I used Dive Aruba (Clyde) 2 yrs ago. I will just outline the dive and let you decide. 6 of us from the ship, meet Clyde right outside the port right on time. Drove to his house in a small van (crowded). His house is his dive shop (very very nice house). We get all gear except tanks and then back in the van. His boat is small but nice, open Whaler type (pick a side seat and its your for the day). Easy cruise out to dive site (sw part of island) about 45 minutes. Gives a brief profile, gear up and Clyde leads the way. Not a wall, just deep reef. Couple minutes in and ALL the computers are screaming, I feel chilly and then look at guage (we are at 125 ft = WHAT). My buddy and I go up to 85 ft (not gonna waste air at that depth). Sure enough, all the others have to go up early but we finish the dive in average depth. Once back on board, Clyde says "yeah, guess I should have told you I was fixing an anchor bouy" - DUH!!! Surface Interval is on his boat (no shade) he has drinks and fruit (very nice). Second dive is drift in 30 to 40 ft (okay, sounds good - now the fun part). He says, " I will get you started, then I am coming back to the boat and will follow your bubbles, just come up when you want, follow the current". It's a little disconcerting seeing your divemaster wave goodbye underwater and then you just cruise along. It was kinda fun but my wife would have freaked out. We were once again last up and he was no where near our bubbles, but found us and headed back to port (his tip was less that what I normally do).

I did Dive Greneda, next to Grand Anse beach. Again, 6 from ship (Celebrity Summit), taxi waiting outside the mall area, easily enough to find. Kinda long drive around to Beach. Small shop right on beach. Get gear including tanks and they point at the boat, anchored offshore about 100 yds. You swim out your gear (someone on the boat helps you put it onboard). Little bigger boat but still open, no shade About 12 total, Driver, DM and Asst DM. Cruise right by the Ships to the Reef areas just North of Harbor on leeward side. Young guy (25 or so) as divemaster but very good, gave good profile, dual back entry's, meet at bottom, about 50 ft. DM in front, Asst brought up rear and he was also cleaning up old fishing line and stuff as we cruised along. Interval on the boat, again no shade but juice and snacks. Second dive was the Sculpture Gardens, where they have all these strange iron sculptures on the bottom in different corral cuts. Kinda neat to come over the top or around a corner and see these things (won't give them away). Shallow dive 20 to 30 ft. Snorkle boats up top and a couple folks got close in the 20 ft area. Certainly no air or deco issues. Not a thrilling dive but interesting (no need to ever go back). Once back at shop, you toss your tanks in the water and then swim them in. Careful with the wave surge (again, glad my wife did not do this dive or I would have been hauling 4 tanks)

Kudo's to Dive Greneda for 1 thing. We were in a hurry (not their fault, our own) to get back to ship. By mistake I left by half mil skin drying on their rack. realized it when I got back to ship to put up gear but did not have time to go back to the shop (its a good 45 minute ride one way). I called them on my cell. They said no problem and FedExed the suit back to my house in Georgia (I paid for the shipping but they went out of their way to help).

Hope this helps, I think I have some pic's of both that I will try to find and if you are interested send me a message through CC so I can forward. Good luck and have great dives. THe boats are NOT Nekton33's with wide sterns and double ladders. You do a lot of gear handling yourself (I don't mind but my wife hates this).

Mark

Thanks Tiki Man. This is very helpful. I think I'll do some more research - maybe even book through the ship. This is definitely not the kind of experience I'm used to. Mind you, my husband and I have been downright spoiled on our last two diving trips to Turks and Caicos. Your wife would love diving with Caicos Adventures - by far, the most professional team on the best-equipped, most comfortable, dive boats we have ever been on. Absolutely awesome.

Thanks Tiki Man. This is very helpful. I think I'll do some more research - maybe even book through the ship. This is definitely not the kind of experience I'm used to. Mind you, my husband and I have been downright spoiled on our last two diving trips to Turks and Caicos. Your wife would love diving with Caicos Adventures - by far, the most professional team on the best-equipped, most comfortable, dive boats we have ever been on. Absolutely awesome.

Deb, I don't want to scare you off. Both operators were very nice. Just wanted to give you some info. I am 49, been diving forever so I have seen good and bad. My wife is a little more fickle but a great dive buddy (I swear she does not breathe, she ALWAYS has more air left than me). She did a couple solo dives 3 years ago (I stayed with our daughter onboard) and it was a LOT less stressful for her to do the ships dives.

St Lucia is beautiful. I used Anse Chastnet, right from the beach, FANTASTIC. Never dove it Tortola so no help there. Missed a trip to Turks a couple years ago because of weather.

Since we are off subject, if you get a chance PLEASE do Little Cayman through Southern Cross Club. I promise it is the best diving (easy, easy) that you will ever do.

Okay, enough of non-cruise. I will say that the operators I used in Aruba and Greneda (all independent) are very good about making sure to have you back in time for the ship. Have great dives and wonderful vacation. Mrs Tiki and I leave in 8 days for a cruise on the Solstice. I am diving Cayman, Coz, Costa Maya and Roatan (dive fix for the summer). If I can be of help, just ask.

Mark

Tiki Man,

LOL over this. I don't breathe either. I discovered once when my husband was under the weather and I had to dive on my own how much longer my bottom could be without him. Now, I let him surface when he has to and make sure the divemaster keeps an eye on me while I putter around under the boat, and take pictures and occasionally chase sharks, for an extra 15 minutes.

Debbie

This breathing thing drives me CRAZY, my lovely bride NEVER breathes, even though I see bubbles coming out of her reg. I credit it to the fact that I do "all" the heavy toting of equip and getting geared up. She just bats her eyes and the DM's help her out. Oh well.

This board has some great info on operators and locations. Hope your travels go well.

The good part for me is that lobster season is "open" in 2 weeks in Mexico, although it has to be without tanks. We are doing a full day at a place called Maya Chan in Costa Maya. Mrs Tiki gets to lay in the sun, while I dive, then bring up lobster freedive (hopefully) and enjoy an open bar and late lunch - Yum Yum

Have a great trip

Tiki

It doesn't bother my DH as much as it bothers some divemasters. I surfaced after a 45-minute dive in the Bahamas with 1500 PSI. The divemaster couldn't believe I breathed less than he did.

My wife thinks you and she are long lost twins (although she would never survive a Canadian winter). There are literally times where I tap hard on her gauge and then just shake my head. One time she had a tank that was only 2500 pre dive and she said, No problem, and was still last on the boat.

Have a great trip

Tiki

• 4 months later...
I am cruising on the Celebrity Millenium in December with stops in Tortola, St. Maarten, Barbados, Grenada, St. Lucia, Aruba, and Curacao. From my research, so far, I've determined that booking independently through local dive operators is the way I'll go, and I've tentatively selected the following dive operators for each location. I'd be grateful for comments and advice based on experience with any of these operators. I'm an intermediate diver, who will be diving solo in a group with the divemaster, as my husband, my usual buddy, will not be accompanying me on the cruise. I'm a light breather who enjoys maximum bottom time within the limits of the tables. I'm also 50+ and enjoy the amenities and comforts of a well-equipped dive boat.

Tortola: Aquaventure

St. Lucia: Scuba Steve's

Grenada: Aquanauts

Aruba: Dive Aruba

We were in Curacao in November and we used the Dive Bus. They were awsome and they gave us a great dive. It was easy entry shore dive, the wall was a very short swim off the beach. The only drawback I had to them was getting suited up and putting our tanks on then having to walk across the street to the beach. The walk was not that far and it was not that difficult for me, however my wife has a bad back and that made it a little difficult. The owners Mark and Suzy are great and were willing to work with us being on a cruise ship. They opened a little early for our arrival and were extremely nice. Our divemaster Ben was nice and made sure we were safe the whole time. He gave us little bits of advice to help our bouyancy and watched us do our buddy checks when we were ready to get in the water. I would use them again.

Archived