Turtles in Hawaii

CSloan

Did you see them while on a snorkeling tour, or snorkeling from the beach? I'm looking at either the Maui or Kona port for snorkeling in November...

Cathy,

I saw them in Kona is 2005 from the beach. And this year from the beach too in West Maui. Both at Black Rock/by the Sheraton and at Honoloa Bay. Bad entry at Honoloa though. It's all rock.

Thanks for the info! All the times I've been snorkeling, I've never seen a turtle swimming in the water while I was in the water. Maybe I'll get lucky in November.

The best place we saw Turtles was on O'ahu on the other side of the mountain. I think it was called Hanamaui bay. The turtles were swimming along side my Dh! they were so close he could touch them, but didn't. He said he saw more there than anywhere he's ever snorkeled or scuba dived. He could also hear the whales singing there out in the ocean.

It is a crater from an old volcano. It's part of a state park I think. You park at the top & either walk down on a great slanted cement drive, or take a small shuttle down & up. You can google it. Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

Snorkeled with lots of sea turtles in Kona at the Place of Refuge beach (long Hawaiian name with lots of vowels) but probably the same one an earlier poster referenced with the rough rock entry. Most of the turtles (in November a couple of years ago) were swimming between the rocky area and the historic site.

Good luck seeing and swimming with them....it is pretty magical experience to get so close to them.

We saw lots of them around the Big Island. They say they like cold water and there are lots of places where colder fresh water seeps into the ocean around the Big Island. It sort of messes with your goggles, though. I kept trying to clear them, then realized it was the fresh water and salt water meeting that made for the odd appearance through the goggles sometimes. The Place of Refuge and the other beach mentioned (if I remember correctly it's the one right in Kona with lifeguards) are both great places to snorkel and see turtles and lots of fish.

On Kauai, we almost always swim with turtles at Lawai Beach on the south side. That's about a 20-30 minute ride from the cruise port.

• 3 weeks later...

We only know Maui, but there are LOTS of places to see turtles either snorkeling from boats or shore. We usually see turtles snorkeling around Black Rock near the Sheraton Hotel, or in Honokeana Bay in front of the Napili Point resort. Honokeana Bay is very small so after storms visibility is a major issue, but the turtles are always there. There are two snorkel trips that seem to feature turtles one is called Turtle Town, the other Coral Gardens. We have been to both on boats out of Maalaea Bay (very close to Lahaina). Have a great time!

If you have time while on Oahu, goto Laniakea Beach (or ask for Turtle beach). It is on the North Shore, so you'd have to have a car. But it is worth it... every time I've been (quite a few, used to live in HI) there were at least 5-6 swimming around and in the afternoons there is usually one or more "sunning" on the beach.

On the way you'll pass by Dole Plantation, and that was pretty cool to see as well.

If you have time while on Oahu, goto Laniakea Beach (or ask for Turtle beach). It is on the North Shore, so you'd have to have a car. But it is worth it... every time I've been (quite a few, used to live in HI) there were at least 5-6 swimming around and in the afternoons there is usually one or more "sunning" on the beach.

On the way you'll pass by Dole Plantation, and that was pretty cool to see as well.

Unfortunately, the only thing I'll see on Oahu this trip will be the port and the airport. But it sounds great for the next time.

Thanks!

Ok, I live a block from Kahaluu bay park in Kona which has dozens there.

Best time is 1 to 2 hours before high tide, also for water clarity.

Kahaluu has sort of life guards that are pretty worthless.

Place of refuge is a national park 25 miles.. 1.2 hours southof the Kona pier It has no life guards and is an advanced place.... where you start at 25 ft depth.

Please remember that the Green sea Turtle is protedted and by lay you need to keep 20 ft distant.... no feeding....chasing or touching.

I mention these because a lot of people try to. Please dont let that be you.

fOR SEEING TURTLES, many miss the beautiful beaches of Koloko HonokohAU national park 3 miles north of Kona pier... no crowds... stop at the visitor center and get info ...its free.. and no fee to enter

As for Diving, Kona offers the best Diving of any island with waters warmer, calmer and with 53% of all the coral in Hawaii in one 20 mile stretch.

Visability will range from 60 to 150 ft. Winter from November to April it will be best to arrange for a boat snorkel rather than a shore one

If you only do one ocean activity....Do it in Kona... WAY BETTER THAN ANYOTHER SPOT IN hAWAII

But hey, what do I know....I only live here and am a professional naturalist and diver

What is the best Hawaiian port to snorkel in to see sea turtles?

We've snorkeled all over Maui, Kauai & the Big Island... and personally, I think the Big Island is best for both snorkeling and seeing/swimming with turtles. Kona is fabulous but we also saw many turtles on the Kohala Coast (north of Kona).

Aloha ~ and have a wonderful time.

Hi Dan, just wondering if you take divers out to see your local wonders ? I am an Aussie diver who will be cruising NCL in December this year and was hoping to get a dive in Kona. I note from your profile you like to dive our part of the world. I live at Forster NSW, see what google has on diving here and you may give me the chance to take you diving some time.

If you don't take divers, who might you recommend for me to contact?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance, you can email to forsterfish@bigpond.com if you wish.

Best regards,

Greg

Place of refuge is a national park 25 miles.. 1.2 hours southof the Kona pier It has no life guards and is an advanced place.... where you start at 25 ft depth.

Please remember that the Green sea Turtle is protedted and by lay you need to keep 20 ft distant.... no feeding....chasing or touching.

fOR SEEING TURTLES, many miss the beautiful beaches of Koloko HonokohAU national park 3 miles north of Kona pier... no crowds... stop at the visitor center and get info ...its free.. and no fee to enter

As for Diving, Kona offers the best Diving of any island with waters warmer, calmer and with 53% of all the coral in Hawaii in one 20 mile stretch.

Visability will range from 60 to 150 ft. Winter from November to April it will be best to arrange for a boat snorkel rather than a shore one

If you only do one ocean activity....Do it in Kona... WAY BETTER THAN ANYOTHER SPOT IN hAWAII

But hey, what do I know....I only live here and am a professional naturalist and diver

• 3 weeks later...

Our cruise doesn't go to Kona, but Hilo. Do you know anything about Nautilus Dive Center by chance? Also, we are going to Kauai....any dive shops there that you might recommend? Any help is appreciated! Robin

• 2 weeks later...

I used to live there, this beach doesn't look like much from the road but then when you get up close... it's one of my most favorite places in the world ;) Local secret shhhhhhh

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to thank everyone on this board for responses about turtles. I finally got to see the turtles while on a snorkeling excursion in Maui - at Turtle Bay. It was great to be in the water with them, watching them swim around in their natural habitat!!

Archived