Question about Mardi Gras and Cruising??

cmlmich

We are thinking about going to Mardi Gras for a couple days then going on a 4 or 5 day cruise out of New Orleans. Has anyone did this before? I am also confused on Mardi Gras. I know the celebration goes on for a while but when are the streets filled with people at night like I see in the videos on you tube like this video?

We have never been to Mardi Gras but have always wanted to experience it, at least for a few days. We were thinking about going down on Feb. 14th or 15th 2011. We will we be able to experience it then??

Any help would be great.

We live in the New Orleans area and have been taking a cruise every year out of New Orleans because our children get the week off of school. I will try my best to answer your question. In 2011, Mardi Gras Day falls on Tuesday, March 8th, therefore, this is the last day of the season. Coming on Feb. 14 and 15th would be too early (the first one this year is Feb. 19th, and the early ones aren't the best ones for a tourist). Parades start about 3 weeks before Mardi Gras day with the best ones being two weekends and the weekend just before Mardi Gras day. Most of the action is the weekend before. The best place to start researching is (so that you can get a better understanding of it all) is: http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/ You can see the 2011 parade schedule. There are parade krewes that roll all over the New Orleans area starting Feb. 19th. The best ones are the Super Krewes such as Bacchus and Endymion. The "Uptown" and "Midcity" parades are the actual parades that roll in New Orleans. The rest are surrounding areas. The New Orleans parades are the ones you want to see! They are amazing, something you need to see to understand. You would have to come closer to their dates.

As for the Youtube video, that is a whole another side of Mardi Gras that the locals usually don't participate in. That video is on Bourdon street in the French Quarter. That street never has cars on it. Parades don't actually roll through the French Quarter but you can go to Canal Street (a few blocks away from Bourbon) to see some parades. You have to check the parade route for each parade to see where it rolls. It is harder to get around the city during Mardi Gras but not impossible. The best thing to do would be to book a hotel close to (or on!)Canal street and watch the parades from there. Then, when it comes time to board the ship, you will be very close and the hotel may even have a shuttle or a taxi wouldn't cost much. They would know how to get around the blocked off streets if there are any at the time you need to board.

I know it sounds very complicated but it is not. It is a great time to see the city and the French Quarter. It is like a huge party in the city. You don't have to experience the "Bourbon Street" side of Mardi Gras if you don't want to. There is something for everyone, even families.

I just check out the parade schedule again and realized that there are a few parades in the French Quarter. These parades are very small and may not have Mardi Gras floats. I have been to some and they are usually a few carriages and a group of people that walk. They may have a few small bands. They are something to experience but they are nothing like the other parades. The don't block off the streets for very long either. The super krewes can block streets off for many hours at a time (but there are always back street to take)

Also, to see the actual parade schedule for 2011, go to:

http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/schedule.html

Also, another option for you would be to push back the cruise date and then spend time after the cruise in New Orleans.

Thank you for your information. It is very helpful. I will look at maybe doing a different cruise date so we can catch some of the parade action. Actually, the Bourbon Street parties look like it would be fun to try. So do those start any certain date? Do they go on every night?

Thank you again.

Actually, the Bourbon Street parties look like it would be fun to try. So do those start any certain date? Do they go on every night?

Bourbon street never closes (except for midnight on Mardi Gras day as a traditional symbolizing that lent is beginning and the party is over). There is not an actual start and end to the parties on Bourbon St. Bourbon street is basically "the party" that pretty much lasts all of the time. Of course during Mardi Gras and other festivals, it is much more crowded. During the Mardi Gras season, people throw beads from the balconies and people tend to be more wild. There is a very festive atmosphere throughout the entire French Quarter. You will always find a party on Bourbon but during the day, it is more tame and you will see some families with kids. At night during Mardi Gras season, it tends to get more crowded as the night goes on. People tend to go to the parades and move to Bourbon after the parades. Bourbon is mostly bars, restaurants, clubs, Jazz, gifts shops and hotels all along the street (the Royal Sonesta is the famous hotel that greases the poles to their balconies because people try to climb them. The "greasing of the pole" with vaseline is a an event in and of itself and makes the local news!) There is a great Jazz club inside of the Royal Sonesta and this hotel is a great place to relax and get away from the crowd for a little while. There is also a very nice court yard there.

There are also street musicians throughout the French Quarter with more of the street entertainment on Royal Street, another street that is blocked off to cars all of the time and only one block away from Bourbon (great shopping on this street). Bars and restaurants do not close. Cafe du Monde is also open 24 hours. You can walk around with your drinks. There is no law against this. There are usually many police on horses controlling the crowd.

It really is a very fun and festive time to visit with so many things to do. I have lived here my entire life and my family never gets tired of visiting the French Quarter.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you World Gallery for your information. I think I may have found a better cruise. It would leave on Feb. 12 and get back on Feb 17th. Then we would stay the 17th through the 20th. What hotel would your recommend that would get us as close to Bourbon Street as possible? It doesn't have to be plush, just clean.

Thank you

Thank you World Gallery for your information. I think I may have found a better cruise. It would leave on Feb. 12 and get back on Feb 17th. Then we would stay the 17th through the 20th. What hotel would your recommend that would get us as close to Bourbon Street as possible? It doesn't have to be plush, just clean.

Thank you

Hi cmlmich,

The Royal Sonesta's main entrance is right on Bourbon St. The Bourbon Orleans is a block or so from Bourbon St.Their main entrance overlooks the back of St. Louis Cathedral and we found it to be more centrally located. We have stayed at both and had a wonderful time. However, there are quite a few places that meet your requiremts; I'm sure others will chime in.

BTW, on Saturday, February 19, 2011 the Krewe du Vieux (parade) rolls. You'd be in for a treat as this is one of a select few that actually marches through the French Quarter. This is a very special parade but it's also the only parade of close to 40 that is not recommended for young 'uns as their themes could be considered quite racy. :eek: However, you will laugh with us as we laugh at ourselves!

Jorge

There are so many hotels to choose from. I think it depends on your price range. The Royal Sonesta is one of my favorites but it is on the top end in regards to price. You can check the prices out online. Also, I saw that there are a few threads regarding hotels on the New Orleans board. I would check that out. I have stayed at the Drury before and it is a nice place that also offers free hot breakfast and free hot snacks/sodas at 5:30 - 7 everyday. People on these boards seem to love it there and it has many positive reviews.

You may not want to actually stay on Bourbon street. I have read reviews before that say regardless of where your room is, it is loud. I even read that Bourbon Street hotels (or close to it) even give out ear plugs to guests. The noise would drive me crazy. There are hotels close enough though. Any hotel on Canal Street would be good or enough away from Bourbon would be fine. There are street cars that go along Canal Street and one that runs along the river so a combination of walking and street cars would get your anywhere, regardless of the hotel you choose (as long as it is anywhere on Canal, Poydras or in the actual French Quarter.) Plus, the weather will not be hot then so walking would be fun. You can use Google Maps, put in the address of the hotel and see where it is located in relation to other things in the French Quarter.

Also, tripadvisor.com has good reviews. You can to to their website, click hotels, then click New Orleans, and read there.

As for parades, you won't get to see any of the main parades with actual floats but you will still have a great time. There is one parade that rolls in Metairie (about 20 minutes from the French Quarter) that actually has a kids krewe that may be of interest to you.

Just wondering what week the kiddos are out of school?? We are considering a cruise out of NOLA around this time and I'd rather go when maybe the kids are IN school. :D Thank You!

The kids are out of school March 7 - 11. We have taken cruises out of New Orleans for years now during this week and they do tend to have many kids. I would say not as many as the summer months but a lot more than normal.

Thank you everyone for your info. I will book the Hotel this weekend. The Prince Conti has some nice reviews and is only a 1/2 block from Bourbon St. and people have said that it is not loud. I did find some rooms with balconies on Bourbon St, but the price is :eek: pretty high, and so we probably won't stay there. We are not taking any kids so we look forward to that parade on the 19th. The videos on You Tube look fun.

Thanks

Archived