tour recommendations, new Zealand ports

candance

Anyone have any great recommendations for tour companies that do small group ship excursions for: Christchurch, Picton, Wellington, Napier, and Tauranga? Any recommendations on must sees in each of those ports? We'll be there in Feb 2011.

Take it easy do the Ships Tours . Our recommendations :

Dunedin - Tareiri Gorge Railway & Otago Peninsula, Christchurch - Sheep Station and Tranz Alpine Experience, Wellington - City Highlights, Napier - City highlights, Tauranga - White Water Rafting, Auckland - Waitomo Glow worm caves .

In Dunedin we did a ship tour (Princess). I think it was called Dunedin by Classic car. It was fabulous!

We were a group of 4 and were met at the pier by a charming chauffeur and we were driven around in a car that had been used to drive Queen Elizabeth and Nelson Mandela when they visited. Sorry can't remember the type of car.

We went to a museum where we had a private tour, Speights brewery (again a private tour and tasting), and also a private tour in a magnificent old home. Town tour and several other stops included. We had great fun pretending to be royalty in the car! Highly recommended.

We were in Australia in November last year and did the Sun Princess and this is what we did:

Flew into Sydney 2 days early, walked around Sydney and saw as much as we could. Took Taxi to port, boarded ship, two days at sea.

Dunedin - did private tour with Eddie from D-Tours. Best tour ever and very reasonable. We chose the Moeraki Boulders and to see the northern coast of Dunedin. Got beautiful pictures. We found him on-line. I would highly reccomend this company.

Christchurch - walked around town and did the punting boats, went to the botanical gardens and the museum.

Wellington - Walked to the botanical gardens, rode the ride to the top of the gardens saw the Lade Norris rose garden, walked to the museum and saw the giant squid.

Napier - Took a tour to 3 winery with Bay Tours. It was OK.

Taraunga - Walked to the Mountain in the harbor and walked to the top,

Auckland - took private tour with Kauri Tours. Great tour. Found him on the internet. Highly recomend it.

Bay of Islands - took ships tour to Glow Worm Caves and the giant Kauri trees. We enjoyed it.

Hope this helps.

Anyone have any great recommendations for tour companies that do small group ship excursions for: Christchurch, Picton, Wellington, Napier, and Tauranga? Any recommendations on must sees in each of those ports? We'll be there in Feb 2011.

Hi there,

Christchurch - do the city tour and enjoy the sights - gondola, punting and shopping

Wellington - you can wander around at your liesure, everything is relatively close - have to go to Te Papa

Napier - there are local tours at the info center there, try a vineyard

Tauranga - same thing there - info center and small operators port side. We used a local native company and they were really good.

Thanks for all the feedback on my inquiry about tour companies and options for New Zealand ports. I had alreay found and booked Eddie in Dunedin so it's great to have that confirmation. It sounds like we'd be just as well off walking around Christchurch and Wellington our own and I like the idea of a wine tour in Napier. Any other ideas on local tour companies? All the feedback was great . Thanks!!! Candance

Check out Kauri Tours in Auckland. We wanted to see the black beaches on the other side of the peninsula and it was great. Also saw some

surfers. Saw the giant Kauri trees went to a winery. He will do whatever you want. I would highly recommend the owner of the company. He was very knowledgeable. Good luck. We wanted to see the coast and interior. I felt that you can see a city anytime but the coastline is awesome.

Archived