Entertainment on Monarch - Just off the boat

We just returned from the 3 day Monarch voyage. Ship was fine, food was fine, service was above fine. I had a little issue with some of the entertainment. The comedian was funny on the first night. However during the late night show it seems like he spent the last 10 minutes trying to give personal adivce, self help book recommendations and political message. I think entertainers should do their job - entertain and not try to make some awkward life personal advice (I don't know him personally so why would I be interested in his advice)?

Also, I expect that if you go to a karioke show, you will get a lot of bad singers, but why pass the microphone around in the Schooner Bar? The Pianist was pretty good, but twice we left because everyone expects that they can automatically sing after a few drinks (too many) and a guy that plays the piano well. After hearing that, I know why people jump overboard!

We just returned from the 3 day Monarch voyage. Ship was fine, food was fine, service was above fine. I had a little issue with some of the entertainment. The comedian was funny on the first night. However during the late night show it seems like he spent the last 10 minutes trying to give personal adivce, self help book recommendations and political message. I think entertainers should do their job - entertain and not try to make some awkward life personal advice (I don't know him personally so why would I be interested in his advice)?

Also, I expect that if you go to a karioke show, you will get a lot of bad singers, but why pass the microphone around in the Schooner Bar? The Pianist was pretty good, but twice we left because everyone expects that they can automatically sing after a few drinks (too many) and a guy that plays the piano well. After hearing that, I know why people jump overboard!

Who was the piano player who did this? I have never experienced this. (invited UP to the microphone - yes. Passed around - no)

I don't recall the piano player's names. He was a young british lad, seemed very nice, but have a sing along and keep the microphone for the paid talent.

Weather was pretty good. A little rain dampened the sail away and a little rain going into Coco Cay on Sunday. Most of the day was beautiful

One other part of the entertainment was the juggler. He was pretty good and very funny.

After 14 cruises on RC, I almost walked out of the late night comedian show.

I think RC needs to seriously re-evaluate this of act. Why would I want to pay for political commercials or self help from someone who works on a cruise ship? For all I know he may have a very valid message, but that is not what I am there for. I would like (and am paying for) the entertainment.

Sorry to hear about your experience on Monarch. My husband and I were on the 7/16 sailing of the Monarch and had Steve Shaeffer as the first evening comedian. He also did a late night show on Sunday night and was very good. (used material other than the typical cruise ship jokes) We mentioned him by name on our comment card as being outstanding. I hope you made the cruise line aware of your feelings about the entertainer on your sailing.

We were on the same sailing as the OP. I agree the last 10 minutes of the Adult Comedy show was a bit odd but wasn't really offended- just thought it was out of place.

Quest was hysterical! Highly recommend this show to those who don't get easily offended. I've never seen so many people doing such ridiculous things at one time and laughed so hard I cried!

Archived