Evaluating a beverage package? Here is a beverage list with prices, as of mid-2010.

jg51

I've never been too sure about whether or not I would like a cruise....but my very dear friend surprised me with a 4-day out of Miami on the Century. I am mostly a wine drinker but like an occasional beer or Bloody Mary. I saw that Kendall Jackson was listed as a wine by the glass option in the classic beverage package which suits me just fine. Is a Bloody Mary more than $8?

Is this package like an all-inclusive with limitations? I don't like mixed drinks very much except for the occasional as I mentioned above.

$156 for four days seems like a lot but I know that it includes bottled water too and all of this could add up pretty quickly if we don't pre-buy the package.:rolleyes:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry didn't see the earlier posts.

Which beverage package is the best to buy?

It depends on your drinking habits, honestly.

There's a link up-thread to a spreadsheet you can fill out to determine what makes sense for you, personally. It lists the drinks with prices so you can figure out what you're likely to drink on a daily basis, and how much it adds up to, so you can see if you'll save money (or where you'll save money).

Me? I'm getting the Premium Alcohol package, because it makes sense for me. Hubby may end up with the Classic, he's kind of on the borderline with which one makes the most sense for him.

Read through a few pages but haven't seen these questions answered (I apologize if I missed it)... Sailing on the 10 day Infinity in May to Alaska.

1. If I buy the Classic package now (pre-cruise), however after a day or two of it I find it isn't enough, can I upgrade to the Premium package for the rest of the cruise? And would it be pro-rated?

2. Also sorry but am still at sea about the tax situation... If I buy now, will I be charged tax (I am in Canada)?

3. If I waited and bought on board - after we have sailed - would I be charged tax AND

would the price change when I bought onboard as opposed to pre-buying?

Thanks everyone!

Don't know about upgrading but did read you can't buy the package after day 1.

As for the tax, you don't pay tax you pay a service charge 15% whether you buy a package before you leave or on board.

Regardless of whether you buy the package or buy drinks individualy its the same 15% service charge.

Someone did mention that they bought a package when they boarded on day 1 and was charged tax on top of the package and service charge. (They were departing from Florida.)

My advice is to buy now before you board. I'm getting the classic, I drink Bacardi and coke, sparkling white wine and pina colada cocktails and these are all on classic as well as water and coffee. That's good enough for me.

I would assume that there is no limit on the beverage package other than the cost per drink ceiling of $8 for the Classic and $12 for the premium....in other words it works the same as an all inclusive with limitations, correct?

Classic package's only includes beers up to $5. Other drinks are up to $8. There is a price list for drinks early in this thread

I would assume that there is no limit on the beverage package other than the cost per drink ceiling of $8 for the Classic and $12 for the premium....in other words it works the same as an all inclusive with limitations, correct?

Yes correct all inclusive as much as you want, but only 1 drink served at a time so cards can't buy others peoples drinks. However, if you are the worse for drink bar tenders can refuse to serve you. package or no package

We used the premium drink pkg on our last cruise of 7 days, loved it. Our next cruise is 13 days long. Talked with a couple on our last cruise at the Martini Bar on Eclipse and they had the Classic alcohol pkg and said their martinis were covered. All the martinis on the bar list said $10. I enjoy Cosmos and creamy chocolate martinis. Some one mentioned that grey goose vodka martinis were cheaper. Anyone throw some light on this for me?

My husband and I are on the April 9th Eclipse sailing and will be getting the Premium package. I know that they can only serve you one drink at a time, but does anyone know how soon you can order the next drink? Specifically, I'm curious about espresso and fresh squeezed OJ in the mornings and a shot of tequila chased by a beer by the pool :D

The drinks did not seem weak to me, but if you have the premium package to can get doubles. .

Thanks for the heads up on this.

My advice is to buy now before you board. I'm getting the classic, I drink Bacardi and coke, sparkling white wine and pina colada cocktails and these are all on classic as well as water and coffee. That's good enough for me.

Not to sure, but I think sparkling wine goes over the $8 limit.

Domine Carmeros - $9 Chandon - $8.50

Most are $13-$16 which means they are not even covered in the premium package. :cool:

I have a question about the 15% grat on the drink packages. If I purchase a drink package prior to boarding I believe there is no tax but do they charge the full grat. now on the full package price or on each drink as you go?

Thanks.

I have a question about the 15% grat on the drink packages. If I purchase a drink package prior to boarding I believe there is no tax but do they charge the full grat. now on the full package price or on each drink as you go?

Thanks.

Hi,

The cost of the package (including 15% gratuity is added) is the same for pre-purchase & purchase on first day of cruise.

If you are sailing out of Spain, you are not permitted to pre-purchase package. Can only be purchased on board and is subject to 8% VAT if ship remains in EU waters.

As far as I'm aware elsewhere there is no additional tax.

Jim

Edited by jimzgoldfinch

We usually enjoy a bottle of wine or two with dinner....an occasional cocktail, beer etc.

The premium package is enticing because it presents a full range and so we can for example try new cocktails etc (which we usually refrain from...mindful that upon debarking the tab can be quite scary....

Anyway, back to the reason for this post: Wine stewards have large sections to service and come by the table 2 to 3 times. First to take the order, second to present/open the bottle, third for whatever...

Question: The premium package does not impose limits as to the # of glasses of wine you may order at dinner (or anytime) as long as they are ordered one at a time...BUT, would the wine server/Celebrity be able to/willing to accomodate the request for refills if the rate of normal consumption is a bottle (4 glasses/per seating)..with the possibility of a second bottle on an occassional night of celebration?

FYI, sailing on Solstice, June 19.

Thanks in advance to all...

If you are sailing out of Spain, you are not permitted to pre-purchase package. Can only be purchased on board and is subject to 8% VAT if ship remains in EU waters.

This isn't accurate - I'm sailing out of Barcelona in May and I've pre-purchased 2 premium packages.

I have not had the chance to read through this entire thread so I don't know if this question has been asked. We have $250 OBC. We are planning on buying the Prem. package for both of us when we get on board. When we buy, does the purchase go to our shipboard charges so that the OBC can be applied to this? This may sound dumb, but this is our first cruise and it's all new to us.

Thanks!!

Kelly

It depends on your drinking habits, honestly.

There's a link up-thread to a spreadsheet you can fill out to determine what makes sense for you, personally. It lists the drinks with prices so you can figure out what you're likely to drink on a daily basis, and how much it adds up to, so you can see if you'll save money (or where you'll save money).

Me? I'm getting the Premium Alcohol package, because it makes sense for me. Hubby may end up with the Classic, he's kind of on the borderline with which one makes the most sense for him.

Would you be good enough to post the link to the spreadsheet? We haven't cruised in awhile and there's lots new to research. Sounds like that's an awesome tool.

I have not had the chance to read through this entire thread so I don't know if this question has been asked. We have $250 OBC. We are planning on buying the Prem. package for both of us when we get on board. When we buy, does the purchase go to our shipboard charges so that the OBC can be applied to this? This may sound dumb, but this is our first cruise and it's all new to us.

Thanks!!

Kelly

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. We have a shipboard credit of $400, What can we use it for?

Thanks!!

Kelly

Yes, the purchase goes to your On Board account and the OBC is applied.:)

Yes, the purchase goes to your On Board account and the OBC is applied.:)

Thanks so much. That's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure.

I appreciate all the information I get here on the forum from everyone!! So helpful!!

Kelly

We canceled our Beverage Package before sailing and never regretted the decision. We decided to just order whatever we wanted and see if we spent more or less than the package. We spent LOTS less.

What we observed.

You could get a good Merlot or Pino Noir in the dining room for 8.50 a glass.

We got a glass of wine at the Cova Cafe before dinner and took it with us into the dining room to finish with dinner. Then maybe ordered another glass in the dining room. We did buy 3 Captain Choice Wine Bottles for 130.00 or so. They would save the remaining wine if you didn't finish the bottle to be used at a later date. Didn't see much advantage to buying bottles. Not being a wine expert, we were satisfied with the wines offered.

The fresh orange juice was easily obtained the first several days in the Buffet area when you walked in.....then that display disappeared after several days and I don't knw how folks got their fresh juice..maybe it was available where the coffee etc. was but I didn't see it. Maybe you had to go down to the Aqua area and get it???????

Not many bars opened during the day. Cova Cafe, the Pool Bar. We didn't drink during the port intensified cruise days during the daytime. I saw the menu of drinks somewhere here on Cruise Critic and several of my chosen drinks were not available. The 11.50 Pino Noir wasn't available on the main dining room menu.

I'm sure the younger crowd stayed up much later than we did and had more drinking opportunities and then the card might be a good deal. I would have been very disappointed if we had the card and think we made a very profitable decision not to have it and just drink what we wanted....not that we had to drink to "get our money's worth".

Edited by Snowy69

Thanks so much. That's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure.

I appreciate all the information I get here on the forum from everyone!! So helpful!!

Kelly

Your welcome, Kelly. You're right this is a great Board. I don't know what I'd do without it!